Beane cost us the 3rd overall pick. JMO

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

Something I've been thinking. Bills fell asleep at the wheel.

I think this is a classic example of "non sequitor"

If Beane didn't trade up to 3, it's because he didn't want to meet the asking price to trade up to 3 without certainty their guy, whoever he is, would be there.

The asking price for 12 to 3 is naturally going to be a lot higher than the asking price from 12

(Edit: as others have pointed out, IF the colts were even willing to slide to 12)

There is no evidence that "Bills fell asleep at the wheel"

There is plenty of evidence that Beane is a shrewd operator who will only pull the trigger on his terms for his value.

If Whaley traded up to 3 and wound up drafting whoever is the Bills 3rd choice QB, we'd all be yakking about what an ijit he was to give up so much for a QB who might have fallen to 5 or 6 or further if he'd only been patient and not paid a fortune to jump the gun

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Ok here is where I am at. I like a slow methodical GM who is not going to overpay. He said he would only move up for the guy he thinks is worth the move. Maybe that's Sam Darnold and he's not available at 3. Now you moved up for no reason. I love that they are idenifying their guy and will be aggressive on draft night to get "their" guy. What the Jets did was dumb and short sighted. I would hate to have a GM who likes three quarterbacks and will take whichever one is left. That's ridiculous. Beanie is going to wait till draft night when he knows he can get his guy and is going to do whatever it takes. Sure he is working his ass off working scenarios with a number of teams right now, but those trades are going to be contingent on "their" guy being there. I'd rather not draft a quarterback than settle for a guy you really did not want. That is bad GMing 101 right there and that's why Whaley is out of a job. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Assuming the 2019 2nd rounder is worth a 2018 3rd rounder at the Jets' spot (5th), the amount they gave the Colts to move up 3 spots was 1175.  To make up that, the Bills would have had to give up both 1st rounder, their 1st next year, and their 2nd this year.  If so, I'm glad Beane cost them the 3rd pick.

We can't give up next years 1st...

But they'll get a franchise QB. Lets see what desperation does to the Bills. Could have been sitting pretty.

Or maybe they won't.  They may get the 3rd QB in the draft.  If he happens to be the #1 QB on their draft board they could leave happy.

If he happens to be the #3 QB on their draft board, he might or might not be Magical Franchise Dude.

AFAIK it's only happened in 1 draft in the last 2 decades that the top 3 QB drafted all worked out

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We can't give up next years 1st...

Sure we can.  What's stopping us?

If we don't value the player highly enough we shouldn't

If we do, we should

48 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Are you listening?  The Bills didn't have a way to trade to 3.  The Colts GM said he wanted to stay in the top 10.   The Bills didn't have a way to give the Colts a pick in the top 10.   All they had was 21 and 22. 

What was Beane supposed to do?   Try to convince the Colts that 21 and 22 was the same as a top 10 pick?    

Are you listening? I said I believe this isn't true because the Colts are saying they want to trade out of the top 10, now.

49 minutes ago, mannc said:

Pretty funny that you would ask such questions, when your original post is based upon nothing but speculation.

No.  Fire him now!

It was supposed to be a funny answer.

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

Are you listening? I said I believe this isn't true because the Colts are saying they want to trade out of the top 10, now.

At the time they hadn't finalized their board, but knew they wanted to be in a position for an elite player. Since then they have finalized their board and they believe there are 8 elite non-QB prospects, meaning they are comfortable going back as far as 12 (conveniently).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

Well, that's all well and good NOW, but at the time they made the trade with the Jets, they said they wouldn't trade out of the top 10.   It's the time they made the trade with the Jets that mattered, and at that time the Bills didn't have anything the Colts wanted.  

So, again, what were the Bills supposed to do differently that would have kept the Jets from getting the #3?   How did Beane misplay his hand?   If the the Colts told him they weren't interested in dealing with him, what was he supposed to do?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, that's all well and good NOW, but at the time they made the trade with the Jets, they said they wouldn't trade out of the top 10.   It's the time they made the trade with the Jets that mattered, and at that time the Bills didn't have anything the Colts wanted.  

So, again, what were the Bills supposed to do differently that would have kept the Jets from getting the #3?   How did Beane misplay his hand?   If the the Colts told him they weren't interested in dealing with him, what was he supposed to do?

You're speculating more then I ever did. I don't know any of this you want about Beane to be true is actually true.

Edited by CuddyDark

Just now, CuddyDark said:

They said this very shortly ( just days ) after the Jets deal was done. They simply leveraged the Bills interest in pick 3 to fleece more picks from the Jets. As long as the Jets were compliant , the Bills just weren't getting pick 3. You can't blame the Jets for doing whatever possible to maintain their position ahead of the Bills, where they already were in the draft order. The Colts positioned themselves nicely for an elite player at 6, and maybe even more picks from a second team in another move down. It's pretty clear they weren't refusing to take the Jets ransom , save for a massive overpayment by the Bills. Think something along the lines of the Ditka deal, for just the 3rd pick off the board. 

Something I've been thinking. Bills fell asleep at the wheel. Why do I say this? Everyone said Colts didn't want to trade out of the top 10. I believed this also, but the more I see mock drafts and hear the Colts GM saying he's not apposed to moving down the more I think Beane overplayed his hand for the 3rd pick. Beane probably tried to haggle and they said, screw you and took a deal with the Jets.

Now here's the hard part.

I believe if Whaley is the GM we have the 3rd overall pick today and everyone is projecting we get Darnold or Rosen. It's sickening. Whaley would have given up "too much" but we'd be in a better position. JMO.

First of all if Whaley was still the GM we wouldn’t have any of these picks to begin with ,  but we probably wouldn’t need them cause we’d be picking in the top 5 anyway , 

Sammy would be singing his new 5 year $100 million guaranteed contact ( what a nightmare ) 

Just now, Putin said:

First of all if Whaley was still the GM we wouldn’t have any of these picks to begin with ,  but we probably wouldn’t need them cause we’d be picking in the top 5 anyway , 

Sammy would be singing his new 5 year $100 million guaranteed contact ( what a nightmare ) 

Whaley is the reason we have 2 first, at least according to the man he made the trade with.