What is your #1 QB performance metric?

Holistic criteria are generally better than focusing on one element.  Obviously, a deficit in one characteristic may be offset by a strength elsewhere.  A weaker arm can be made up for with superior accuracy, for instance.  DIfferent combinations can result in success or failure.  Fit between qb and system is a significant factor, but in terms of individual strengths, I would favor the ability to read the defense and make a quick decision.  OTOH, I often use the criteria of picking the name that would best fit the hero of a Western:P

Edited by Dr. Who

Good old fashioned passer rating. If you look at how the formula was created (back in the 70s I think), the just kind of threw stats together, gave them a coefficient, and said there it is. So it’s remarkable how good it is. Really, we can argue about the Tyrods who seem to have gamed the ratings and come in higher than the eyeball test would dictate. But I dare you to find a truly bad QB who consistently ranks high on QB rating, or a good QB who consistently ranks low. It’s ... pretty good. Way better than that espn attempt (total QBR?) to do better. 

For college QBs, you have to look at the pressure they are under as they complete thier highlight plays. 

With no pressure anyone can reel out highlights. They also need to show a good percentage of reads. 

Ball placement is critical, are the receivers catching in stride?

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I agree.  QBs have a bad game or 2 over 17 weeks (16 games)

W/o looking it up again we saw what 3 games with a QB rating under 50 in a 5? game stretch and then the playoff game of under 36 (ish) 

If my #s are off my apologise 

Completion or total 3rd down conversion?

we saw a decent completion % passing but it wasn’t leading to points.  

I meant conversion

9 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Luke Falk

Not bad.  If we miss out on the top tier, Luke should go to the top of the list on the basis of "sounds like he should be wearing a Stetson."  OTOH, Sam Darnold's grandfather was the Marlboro Man . . .