Paul Ryan Retiring

TH3

I wouldn't want that job having to deal with the drama that comes from Trump/media and trying to a coalesce a split party ideologically in many ways (McConnell has the harder job).  I expect Ryan to eventually become either run for Governor or Senator in Wisconsin.  Possible future presidential run once Washington DC and the press recover from their TDS.

Edited by Doc Brown

5 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

That was my initial reaction as well. The truth is, it becomes disheartening to have articulate people like Ryan appear on the scene, sounding insightful and poised, only to watch them get smeared beyond necessity, for the sake of shutting them up and down. The same happened with Cruz and Rubio; articulate and smart, but smeared to embarrassment.

Hahahahahaha.

Ha.

Edited by OJABBA

2 hours ago, Cugalabanza said:

Differentiate what?

Do you mean, between good and bad?  Between who's valuable and who needs to go?  I already said "based on their own merits / failures."

If you're asking me to be more specific, this conversation is going to turn tiresome very fast.

The point I was making is simply that it's unwise to make blanket assumptions.  I don't think it's a controversial position.

I should have been more clear.  My question was intended to be thought provoking, as opposed to demanding an answer.

In my mind, the way to differentiate is to ferret out and prosecute malfeasance; and we can't do that by playing "team sports" or looking at legislative achievements that we find positive or admirable in our world views.  We must accept the fact that individuals who legislate as political allies to our various moral philosophies and preferred politics, even those who we agree with 100% of the time, may well be corrupt, and need to be removed from office (or even prosecuted and jailed or worse).

This cannot be a political action.

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

The leading Republican running for Paul Ryan's seat is a white ...

VICE News-3 hours ago
A white nationalist is now the frontrunner in the GOP primary in Paul Ryan's district. Longshot candidate and self-described “pro-white” politician Paul Nehlen is now the leading Republican to take over Ryan's Wisconsin seat now that Ryan, the current Speaker of the House, is not running for reelection.

So the only guy currently running for the seat is suddenly the front runner?

Holy Schiff! This is an amazing revelation! This is the most amazing revelation since we discovered that the people who pay the most taxes receive the most benefit from a tax cut!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

We must accept the fact that individuals who legislate as political allies to our various moral philosophies and preferred politics, even those who we agree with 100% of the time, may well be corrupt, and need to be removed from office (or even prosecuted and jailed or worse).

Yet you streak your panties every time someone criticizes Trump and want to put him on Mt. Rushmore. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

You don't think Rubio, Ryan and Cruz are smart and articulate people?

Yeah, so is Bill Clinton. So is George Soros. So is Angela Merkel. 

Being smart and articulate, has nothing to do with honesty, integrity, etc.

Paul Ryan is a !@#$ing creep.

Edited by OJABBA

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Would you agree, even if you don't agree that President Trump is the best man for the job (you may think he's the worst man for the job, and that's OK), that Washington DC is one of the most corrupt cities on Earth, and that nearly all major office holders in the Federal government are either directly corrupt themselves, or swim in the current of corruption "as a go along to get along", and that there is a "swamp to be drained"?

Honestly, those who do not realize how corrupt their local governments are and save their fear and lamentations for the federal government are the majority of our society.

Just now, Koko78 said:

Holy Schiff! This is an amazing revelation! This is the most amazing revelation since we discovered that the people who pay the most taxes receive the most benefit from a tax cut!

Yes, bad media for reporting on the front runner! Bad! 

Paul Ryan running out of Washington partly because of those tax cuts that are leaving us massively in debt. Running out on a tire fire of his own making. 

3 hours ago, Cugalabanza said:

I agree that DC is one of the most corrupt cities on Earth, yes.

I don't like the phrase, "draining the swamp."  One, because it's an awkward analogy.  Of course, I understand where it's apt, but as a phrase it rubs me the wrong way.  More importantly, I just object to the generalization.  We have to judge individuals based on their own merits / failures.

I work with a great deal of exceptionally inept morons[/B.  I'm often judged based on the group perception and I hate that.  It's unfair.  It's also a fallacy (Hasty Generalization).

I got in big trouble for using the phrase retard.  The proper term is now exceptional.  I just can't help but laugh every time I see the word.

1 minute ago, garybusey said:

Yet you streak your panties every time someone criticizes Trump and want to put him on Mt. Rushmore. 

Honest question:  Is it possible for you to speak without being a complete piece of ****?

And, no, that's a gross mischaracterization of my position.

First, there is no evidence of corruption or malfeasance by President Trump despite a year long probe into his presidency, his campaign, and his prior life outside of politics.  Robert Mueller has admitted this.

Second, my contention is that once we have gone through a massive cleansing process of removing criminal bad actors from our system, both inside our government and out, including foreign actors, directed by the President, and it is unquestionably revealed that he prevented a coup, and the true end of our republic, I think that history will have no choice but to view him as a great man.

You don't have to believe me, Gary.  The world will teach you as it turns.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

Indeed. I am thankful that Ryan and the others have  not been as "effective".

i have been very disappointed by Ryan's lack of courage when he was given the chance to lead

he sure mouthed off enough about what he'd do if given the chance

16 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

In my mind, the way to differentiate is to ferret out and prosecute malfeasance; and we can't do that by playing "team sports" or looking at legislative achievements that we find positive or admirable in our world views.  We must accept the fact that individuals who legislate as political allies to our various moral philosophies and preferred politics, even those who we agree with 100% of the time, may well be corrupt, and need to be removed from office (or even prosecuted and jailed or worse).

I agree

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I guess his dopey contention is that because Ryan announced today, and because the Republican Party didn't have an established or establishment candidate picked to run in a primary against their own Speaker, that fringe candidates who were not backed in any way by the GOP National Committee, somehow magically become the Party's candidate via liberal handwavium. 

Well said: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2018/04/11/go-paul-go/?utm_term=.ea4d26a24505

But that is not the case with Ryan. He’s out. He will face no opposition. Why didn’t he unload on Trump while announcing his retirement from the House? Why didn’t he say that Trump’s scapegoating of immigrants is abhorrent? Why didn’t he denounce Trump’s dishonest attacks on the press? Why didn’t he say something about Trump’s use of his personal lawyer to extract nondisclosure agreements from several woman? Why didn’t he ask about the strange affinity Trump has for Vladimir Putin? Why? Why? Why?

Ryan fades having already faded. His silence on the most important issue facing America is a gross dereliction of duty, but it secures his place in history: He has none.

The excuse that Republicans offer to explain their silence about Trump is that their base supports him. Opposition would mean a primary challenge, likely defeat and no improvement. The hideous truth about the Republican Party is that there is always someone more to the right than the incumbent. In this case, the worse is the enemy of the awful.

Ryan raised $58 million for his re-election campaign and was polling 58% (Ryan) to 34% (D) in his district.

Too late to run for the Senate, too late to run for Governor.  Does he plan on primarying Trump? Will K-street pay him well to thwart legislation the next 9 months?  Only time will tell.

24 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

What I was arguing is that they are articulate, smart people who got cornholed by leftists over trivial things. It's the power of the leftist splatter campaign, which you're watching with Trump, but is left effective because Trump doesn't give a ratsasshair what any of the leftist cornholers say about him. He just spits venom back in their face.

Which is why, to a small extent, Trump is President, and people like Ryan are bowing out.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing more decorum, but since Trump is president, I may as well watch the left crap their Depends every time he sends out a tweet.

Longest, best meltdown ever. 

Edited by LABillzFan
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

What I was arguing is that they are articulate, smart people who got cornholed by leftists over trivial things. It's the power of the leftist splatter campaign, which you're watching with Trump, but is left effective because Trump doesn't give a ratsasshair what any of the leftist cornholers say about him. He just spits venom back in their face.

Which is why, to a small extent, Trump is President, and people like Ryan are bowing out.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing more decorum, but since Trump is president, I may as well watch the left crap their Depends every time he sends out a tweet.

amen

11 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

I think Ryan hates Trump, and is a Swamp man. He may be polished and articulate, but that doesn't soothe me if he is a corrupt creep....which he is.

Cruz, Ryan and Rubio...each would have continued globalist policies, but I guess they would have !@#$ed the country in the ass, with smart and articulate panache? 

Edited by OJABBA

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ryan raised $58 million for his re-election campaign and was polling 58% (Ryan) to 34% (D) in his district.

Too late to run for the Senate, too late to run for Governor.  Does he plan on primarying Trump? Will K-street pay him well to thwart legislation the next 9 months?  Only time will tell.

What happens to the money he already raised for his reelection campaign? Does he keep it or turn it over to the RNC?

16 hours ago, OJABBA said:

Do you think Trump has any honesty, integrity etc. at all? 

5 hours ago, westside said:

What happens to the money he already raised for his reelection campaign? Does he keep it or turn it over to the RNC?

I would guess he keeps the warchest intact for a future run for Governor/Senate/President.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, OJABBA said:

I think Ryan hates Trump, and is a Swamp man. He may be polished and articulate, but that doesn't soothe me if he is a corrupt creep....which he is.

Cruz, Ryan and Rubio...each would have continued globalist policies, but I guess they would have !@#$ed the country in the ass, with smart and articulate panache? 

You make it sound like everyone in DC is fine, but these three are corrupt.

8 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

You've gone from making little sense to pure gibberish.

Someone tell LA Grant to hold onto that belt tightly. Someone has their eyes on it.

should set up a conclave among all the libtards on here, last one surviving gets to stay here.

• 2 weeks later...

The idiot Ryan fired the House Christian person who said abracadabra to the sky for our souls. Why? Because he said something Christian 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/ryan-dismissed-house-chaplain-leaving-lawmakers-questioning-rational/2018/04/26/ec2334ee-4976-11e8-8b5a-3b1697adcc2a_story.html?utm_term=.25f0191d4b52

In his letter of resignation, Conroy made clear that he was leaving at Ryan’s request.

“As you have requested, I hereby offer my resignation as the 60th chaplain of the United States House of Representatives,” Conroy wrote to Ryan on April 16.

“I have seen it as a blessing and I have considered it one of the great privileges of my life,” he added.

Approached Thursday about Ryan’s decision, Conroy said he did not want to talk in the media about the matter, declining further comment.

In an interview with the New York Times, Conroy said he did not know whether politics were behind his departure. But he pointed to a prayer he had given on the House floor in November, when Congress was debating tax overhaul legislation.

“May all members be mindful that the institutions and structures of our great nation guarantee the opportunities that have allowed some to achieve great success, while others continue to struggle,” Conroy said at the time. “May their efforts these days guarantee that there are not winners and losers under new tax laws, but benefits balanced and shared by all Americans.”

About a week later, Conroy told the Times, he heard from the speaker’s office. “A staffer came down and said, We are upset with this prayer; you are getting too political,” he said.

Shortly after, when he saw Ryan himself, Conroy said that the speaker told him: “Padre, you just got to stay out of politics.”