Tell Me About (Northern) North Carolina

Acantha

I'm going to be relocating in about 6 months and I'm looking at northern North Carolina, somewhere between Winston-Salem and Raleigh.  I'm leaning toward Winston-Salem or Greensboro due to lower cost of living, especially housing, and also because it's a little more central to Charlotte and locations I may travel to in Virginia.

I prefer to live more rural, but close enough to one of these cities to get to easily when needed (around 20 - 30 min drive).  Not sure if that's realistic based on how far out the suburbs go out from these cities?  I like renovating, so my plan is to buy a fixer upper on small acreage (1 to 5 acres) and work on it.

I have a 4 year old that will be starting school in 2019, so if there's a big difference in schools or family atmosphere, that will be a part of my decision.

I have family that lives south of Charlotte, just over the border in SC, and I used to live in central Virginia, so I have a general awareness of the region, but I've never spent any time in these cities.  Plan on narrowing my focus and taking a trip in a couple months to check it out.  I'm pretty sure I remember there's at least a few board members that are from the area, so really any basic info about it will be helpful (do's and don'ts....pros and cons).

Edited by Acantha

32 minutes ago, Acantha said:

I'm going to be relocating in about 6 months and I'm looking at northern North Carolina, somewhere between Winston-Salem and Raleigh.  I'm leaning toward Winston-Salem or Greensboro due to lower cost of living, especially housing, and also because it's a little more central to Charlotte and locations I may travel to in Virginia.

I prefer to live more rural, but close enough to one of these cities to get to easily when needed (around 20 - 30 min drive).  Not sure if that's realistic based on how far out the suburbs go out from these cities?  I like renovating, so my plan is to buy a fixer upper on small acreage (1 to 5 acres) and work on it.

I have a 4 year old that will be starting school in 2019, so if there's a big difference in schools or family atmosphere, that will be a part of my decision.

I have family that lives south of Charlotte, just over the border in SC, and I used to live in central Virginia, so I have a general awareness of the region, but I've never spent any time in these cities.  Plan on narrowing my focus and taking a trip in a couple months to check it out.  I'm pretty sure I remember there's at least a few board members that are from the area, so really any basic info about it will be helpful.

Our son lived in Apex,he's now in Morrisville.To be honest,he really doesn't care for the area.Just a FYI..lots and lots of former WNY's  are down there..so hanging out with fellow Bills/Sabres fans won't be a problem.

All I know about Winston-Salem is that everything is against the law there. :lol: But that was a long time ago... Enjoy!

Aginst Th' Law 
Words by Woody Guthrie, Music by Billy Bragg

It´s aginst th´ law to walk, It´s aginst th´ law to talk
It´s against th´ law to loaf, It´s aginst th´ law to work
It´s aginst th´ law to read, It´s aginst th´ law to write
It´s aginst th´ law to be a black or brown or white.

Ever´thing’s aginst th´ law
I´m a low pay daddy singing th´ high price blues

It´s aginst th´ law to eat, It´s aginst th´ law to drink
It´s aginst th´ law to worry, It´s aginst th´ law to think
It´s aginst th´ law to marry or to try to settle down
It´s aginst th´ law to ramble like a bum from town to town

It´s aginst th´ law to come, It´s against th´ law to go
It´s against th´ law to ride, It´s against th´ law to roll
It´s aginst th´ law to hug, It´s against th´ law to kiss
It´s against th´ law to shoot, It´s against th´ law to miss

It´s aginst th´ law to gamble, It´s aginst th´ law to roam
It´s aginst th´ law to organize or try to build a home 
It´s aginst th´ law to sing, It´s aginst th´ law to dance
It´s aginst th´ law to tell you th´ trouble on my hands

Ever’thing in Winston Salem is aginst th’ law
I’m a low pay daddy singin’ th’ high price blues.

27 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Our son lived in Apex,he's now in Morrisville.To be honest,he really doesn't care for the area.Just a FYI..lots and lots of former WNY's  are down there..so hanging out with fellow Bills/Sabres fans won't be a problem.

I've heard that a lot, and I'm looking forward to it.  Seems to be happening at a good time, given the "Process" and soon to be retirement of the cheaters.

5 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Tough you have to leave Big Sky country... 

I've really enjoyed it here, but it's time to go.

4 hours ago, Acantha said:

I'm leaning toward Winston-Salem or Greensboro due to lower cost of living, especially housing, and also because it's a little more central to Charlotte and locations I may travel to in Virginia.

I lived in Apex, Morrisville, Cary* in the late 90’s.   

The * Containment Area for Relocates Yankees is like what was mentioned.  

There is (was) a Bills bar in Cary the owner is a former Buffalonian. 

If price is a factor then the W S G area  may fit your needs.  

What’s (about) an hour drive to RTP if needed.  As they called it.  DOWN THE ROAD A BIT.  

@Boyst62 s/b able to give you current data.  

24 minutes ago, Acantha said:

Do you know why he doesn't care for it?

Some yokels don’t like Yankees.  

Prices can be high and it did take 45 min to get places.  

My guess based on what I experienced.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sounds like we have family in the same parts, my wife is from Rock Hill, SC just below Charlotte. I spent several summers visiting Chapel Hill for my kids basketball camps. Loved Chapel Hill but I don’t know about the rest of the area. Went to Raleigh for some science museum, didn’t love the area but hard to tell by that. Where is @Boyst62 located? 

5 hours ago, Acantha said:

I have family that lives south of Charlotte, just over the border in SC, and I used to live in central Virginia, so I have a general awareness of the region, but I've never spent any time in these cities.  Plan on narrowing my focus and taking a trip in a couple months to check it out.  I'm pretty sure I remember there's at least a few board members that are from the area, so really any basic info about it will be helpful (do's and don'ts....pros and cons).

https://www.carolinaschoolhub.com/best-elementary-schools-winston-salem-nc.cfm

Your welcome 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, eball said:

I've lived in North Carolina for 20 years and I have never heard anyone refer to "northern" North Carolina.  That's freaking hilarious.

What are you referring to?  Where did you hear/see this, did I miss it up thread?

Edit:  Nevermind, I just saw it. Oops.  Reread his post.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Sounds like we have family in the same parts, my wife is from Rock Hill, SC just below Charlotte. I spent several summers visiting Chapel Hill for my kids basketball camps. Loved Chapel Hill but I don’t know about the rest of the area. Went to Raleigh for some science museum, didn’t love the area but hard to tell by that. Where is @Boyst62 located? 

Lexington, NC, towards Thomasville.

Thehe triangle and Charlotte are world's of their own and Asheville is like the moon compared to the average NC area.  If you were going to live in the area the upper Piedmont is a nice area.  Oak ridge is probably one of the better areas whilst rural.

Otherwise I'd look to Mooresville or Salisbury much further south.  Portions of clemmons are fairly country, as well.

Greensboro is getting violent, high point had a drug problem. Burlington a gang problem, a lot of ms13, etc.  Winston is getting better through gentrification, essentially. But, it's unfortunate because it's such a diverse area and that's what gives it charm.

Welcome/Midway is somewhat country and in the North Davidson school district. Davidson countys best school, at that. Nascar owner Richard childress lives off Hampton road there. 

Greensboroand wnston are 30 min or so apart. Choosing a community outside of there is worthwhile but it's hard to factor in what else is there.  @Doc was considering moving to Asheboro out in Randolph county a while back, and iirc had remarks on the school system. 

Bill from NYC has been considering the move as well, fwiw.

Winston-Salem/Clemmons is Forsyth county

Greensboro/HP is Guilford

Pilot Mountain/Mt airy/Mayberry is Stokes

Lexington/Thomasville is Davidson

Mocksville is Davie

Asheboro/Randleman just Randolph

Elkin is Yadkin

Salisbury is Rowan county

Burlington is Alamance

Siler city is Chatham

Durham is Durham @eball neck of the woods 

12 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Ps 2.   The Blue Ridge ain’t the Rockies but they are beautiful to visit.  

Summer lasts for more than 2 months and the ocean is maybe 4-5 hours away.  

Snow.   Hardly seen. 

I love the Blue ridge, lived right in the middle of them for a few years during high school. While I don't normally mind winter, this year has been abnormally snowy here and I'm ready to be done with it! Thanks for your help.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

My mother moved to Charlotte about 12 years ago, but didn't like the city so she moved to York, just up the road from Rock Hill. Nice area around there.

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Boyst is our resident NC expert. He lives around Lexington. Personally if I were going to live in NC I world chose Wilmington first and Asheville second. I know, neither are convenient for your purposes. 

An Asheville type area is way more my style, but I'm restricted to living closer to some population centers and a decent airport.

7 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Lexington, NC, towards Thomasville.

Thehe triangle and Charlotte are world's of their own and Asheville is like the moon compared to the average NC area.  If you were going to live in the area the upper Piedmont is a nice area.  Oak ridge is probably one of the better areas whilst rural.

Otherwise I'd look to Mooresville or Salisbury much further south.  Portions of clemmons are fairly country, as well.

Greensboro is getting violent, high point had a drug problem. Burlington a gang problem, a lot of ms13, etc.  Winston is getting better through gentrification, essentially. But, it's unfortunate because it's such a diverse area and that's what gives it charm.

Welcome/Midway is somewhat country and in the North Davidson school district. Davidson countys best school, at that. Nascar owner Richard childress lives off Hampton road there. 

Greensboroand wnston are 30 min or so apart. Choosing a community outside of there is worthwhile but it's hard to factor in what else is there.  @Doc was considering moving to Asheboro out in Randolph county a while back, and iirc had remarks on the school system. 

Bill from NYC has been considering the move as well, fwiw.

Winston-Salem/Clemmons is Forsyth county

Greensboro/HP is Guilford

Pilot Mountain/Mt airy/Mayberry is Stokes

Lexington/Thomasville is Davidson

Mocksville is Davie

Asheboro/Randleman just Randolph

Elkin is Yadkin

Salisbury is Rowan county

Burlington is Alamance

Siler city is Chatham

Durham is Durham @eball neck of the woods 

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time. I think Mooresville and Salisbury might be a little too far from everything, but I'll start looking into them. Pretty sure I have a cousin in Mooresville.