Saban's response to Rosen's comments regarding the demands of college football

9 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

He took the Alabama offer because he got a free ride.  But seriously, you deserve a job in PR for Alabama.  You should use this topic as your resume. :)

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is the thread that keeps on giving. Never lets me down. I never even cared about Bama until this thread happened. Now #rollovertide

Josh Rosen is smarter and better than any qb Alabama has ever produced, including the overrated Broadway Joe!!!

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He doesn't like these rankings so he won't agree with them.

VaTech is a school you can make an argument for....they are a top tech school in the country.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

He doesn't like these rankings so he won't agree with them.

VaTech is a school you can make an argument for....they are a top tech school in the country.

VT also accepts a high percentage of applicants, as you've pointed out with Bama, but the graduation rates within accepted majors are lower. Their philosophy is to allow students to try and either succeed or flunk out and try something different as opposed to eliminating them right off the bat. When I got accepted there they were #10 in the country for Civil Engineering (my degree). When I graduated they were #8. So that ranking was more applicable to me than their overall ranking. If I had to guess I'd say they're somewhere between 50 and 75 in overall ranking.

That said, I know quite a few of the players at Tech personally and I helped a lot of them with their work. I wouldn't call them dumb by any means, but a lot of them would not have passed without some help.

24 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

VT also accepts a high percentage of applicants, as you've pointed out with Bama, but the graduation rates within accepted majors are lower. Their philosophy is to allow students to try and either succeed or flunk out and try something different as opposed to eliminating them right off the bat. When I got accepted there they were #10 in the country for Civil Engineering (my degree). When I graduated they were #8. So that ranking was more applicable to me than their overall ranking. If I had to guess I'd say they're somewhere between 50 and 75 in overall ranking.

That said, I know quite a few of the players at Tech personally and I helped a lot of them with their work. I wouldn't call them dumb by any means, but a lot of them would not have passed without some help.

I don't know much about their other programs but I've know for awhile that their tech/engineering programs are high level.  I've worked for 2 manufacturing companies and they love VaTech students.

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

College football coaches are pretty much all POS in all honesty and Saban is at the head of the pack. They use kids up and spit them out and they don't give a crap about the kids on the team who aren't all that good. Snake oil salesmen all of them. Rosen is right. Look at the way Jim Mora is talking...POS. Brian Kelly threw Kizer under the bus last year. He had no reason to do that other than being a POS. 

They use kids for their own benefit and the majority of the kids get nothing out of it, except a free education that they usually can't  finish 

That's not the impression I get from JK Scott. He seems genuinely please with his experience at Alabama. Great punter and a greater human being.

He graduated in December with a business degree.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1448047841911315&id=301154846600626

Edited by Sky Diver

11 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

That's not the impression I get from JK Scott. He seems genuinely please with his experience at Alabama. Great punter and a greater human being.

He graduated in December with a business degree.

Why did you use the punter instead of Rueben Foster?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

VT does have a large 25th - 75th percentile range, 25 - 30. but not as large as Alabama's which is 23 - 32. Alabama also admits students directly into their engineering program, which means a lot of kids get weeded out fairly early on. Depending on the engineering discipline, about 15 - 25% of the students who start in engineering graduate with an engineering degree.

Alabama has invested 100's of millions of dollars into their engineering program and has world class facilities.

http://news.eng.ua.edu/2014/04/vision-is-reality-with-the-opening-of-the-final-building-ua-ready-for-a-new-era-of-engineering-and-science/

VT is an excellent school.

Edited by Sky Diver

33 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

There is actually a really good chance that Saban didn't even know the punter's name and probably never actually talked to him. 

Haha.

image.png.d6af168b869046401e527140c717f911.png

Jonathan Allen on Nick Saban:

Edited by Sky Diver

48 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why did you use the punter instead of Rueben Foster?  

That kid will be cold calling you soon to pump you some penny stocks...

"uh, yes sir, I was a National Champion with Coach at Alabama--but more importantly, my Business Degree from Bama has placed me in a unique position to be able to offer a few select potential investors such as yourself this once in a lifetime opportunity to get in on the ground level of this........"

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Haha.

Jonathan Allen on Nick Saban:

Fair enough and I am actually surprised to hear that. I have no problem with Bama. Saban is a great coach, no doubt. My problem is the adults that chew these guys up and spit them out. My point is that the majority of college coaches are the same. Convinced kids to sign on the dotted line, get them in, do little to help them, and move on when they are of no use to them.  I would still guess that 70% of the players on the team hate him. They can't come out and say it, but it is what it is. College football is maybe one step up from indentured servitude.

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Fair enough and I am actually surprised to hear that. I have no problem with Bama. Saban is a great coach, no doubt. My problem is the adults that chew these guys up and spit them out. My point is that the majority of college coaches are the same. Convinced kids to sign on the dotted line, get them in, do little to help them, and move on when they are of no use to them.  I would still guess that 70% of the players on the team hate him. They can't come out and say it, but it is what it is. College football is maybe one step up from indentured servitude.

I'm not close to the program, but I haven't heard much negative about him. I heard he cracks a lot of jokes with the players in the film room. He's obviously a perfectionist. I've heard that even at kids camps he pulls kids aside and coaches them up.

Former players seem to like him.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/nick-saban-10-years-anniversary-alabama-football-players-tribute-crimson-tide

Students run into him at mass and I've heard that he is gracious. I think he is different personally than his public persona.

Really nice letter from Minkah Fitzpatrick regarding his experience at Alabama. Amazing player and seems like a genuine guy. There are some insightful comments about Nick Saban.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/minkah-fitzpatrick-thank-you-alabama

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Forbes' 2018 #1 Best Value University is none other than UCLA: Berkeley a ‘best value’ university in new Forbes rankings

Josh Rosen says :lol:

There are a lot CA kids at UA. Berkeley is about $140K for in-state studends for 4 years and for kids that have a min 33 ACT and 3.5 GPA, Alabama is about $60K. Plus not all CA students get into Berkeley. If you can get into Berkeley and pay for it without massive student loans, it's a great choice.

Edited by Sky Diver

24 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Really nice letter from Minkah Fitzpatrick regarding his experience at Alabama. Amazing player and seems like a genuine guy. There are some insightful comments about Nick Saban.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/minkah-fitzpatrick-thank-you-alabama

There are a lot CA kids at UA. Berkeley is about $140K for in-state studends for 4 years and for kids that have a min 33 ACT and 3.5 GPA, Alabama is about $60K. Plus not all CA students get into Berkeley. If you can get into Berkeley and pay for it without massive student loans, it's a great choice.

Tuition room and board at Alabama for in state kids is 25,000.  At UCLA (and Berkeley)  it's 29,000.  About an extra 5,000 in incidentals at both.

Edited by Mr. WEO

58 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That kid will be cold calling you soon to pump you some penny stocks...

"uh, yes sir, I was a National Champion with Coach at Alabama--but more importantly, my Business Degree from Bama has placed me in a unique position to be able to offer a few select potential investors such as yourself this once in a lifetime opportunity to get in on the ground level of this........"

Don't think that will be his career path. He's a great punter.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jk-scott?id=32462018-0002-5600-7115-5dafcb9a6922

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Tuition room and board at Alabama for in state kids is 25,000.  At UCLA (and Berkeley)  it's 29,000.  About an extra 5,000 in incidentals at both.

Alabama is about 1/2 the cost of Berkeley for CA students that have a min 32 ACT and a min 3.5 GPA, plus those kids aren't guaranteed admission at Berkeley. In-state cost for Alabama students isn't germane to the discussion.

https://financialaid.berkeley.edu/cost-attendance

Top Kids from IL are flocking to UA because of the cost of The University of Illinois.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story.html

Edited by Sky Diver

Just now, Sky Diver said:

I don't have any dog in this fight. But Not a single one of those articles say anything about Alabama being a top school. 

Every one says that those students in the articles are picking Alabama because they are offering them much more in scholarship money. The articles say Alabama has put a focus on recruiting students with scholarships. 

Theres a big difference between someone picking a school because it's a top academic facility, and picking a school because they offered them a full scholarship. 

I am not saying Alabama is a bad school by any means, just to be clear. 

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don't have any dog in this fight. But Not a single one of those articles say anything about Alabama being a top school. 

Every one says that those students in the articles are picking Alabama because they are offering them much more in scholarship money. The articles say Alabama has put a focus on recruiting students with scholarships. 

Theres a big difference between someone picking a school because it's a top academic facility, and picking a school because they offered them a full scholarship. 

Is there a fight??? I'm educating since there is a lot of ignorance about Alabama.

Are top students attending Alabama? The answer is clearly yes. The proof is the 75th percentile ACT score of 32 and the number of NMF's, which is among the highest in the country. With the guaranteed merit scholarships it's a bargain for students that have high stats.

I don't know how to define a "top" school. Alabama has world class facilities, they produce a high number of Goldwater, Rhodes, Boren, and Truman scholars, and graduates are successful at getting into great graduate and professional schools and companies.

Edited by Sky Diver

42 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This thread needs more Phyllis from Mulga

Great call! Love the passion. Roll Tide!

I feel sorry for this miserable SOB.

"Do they still play the Brute Aftershave Bowl because I think that's where Ohio State is headed."

"It's that damn children's hospital"!

Lol.

Edited by Sky Diver

14 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Great call! Love the passion. Roll Tide!

I feel sorry for this miserable SOB.

"Do they still play the Brute Aftershave Bowl because I think that's where Ohio State is headed." Lol

That could be me. I’m not an Ohio State homer, sorry. I don’t even know any. I root for them hard but couldn’t be more critical. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Probably because even Ohio residents root for the Tide.

You are starting to frighten me

there is a difference between a fan and a homer. Not all fans are homers. In fact, most knowledgeable fans are not homers. They are realistic fans. 

No one cares about the Tide, or the SEC, in Ohio. Just like I’m sure they don’t watch the big 10 in the south.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

You are starting to frighten me

It was a joke. You live in Ohio and you don't know any Ohio State fans? Hmm. The folks I know from Ohio are pretty passionate about OSU football.

Edited by Sky Diver

Just now, Sky Diver said:

It was a joke. You live in Ohio and you don't know any Ohio State fans? Hmm. The folks I know from Ohio are pretty passionate about football.

Yes, we are all fans. Yes, we are all passionate. No, I don’t know any homers.

4 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Don't think that will be his career path. He's a great punter.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jk-scott?id=32462018-0002-5600-7115-5dafcb9a6922

Alabama is about 1/2 the cost of Berkeley for CA students that have a min 32 ACT and a min 3.5 GPA, plus those kids aren't guaranteed admission at Berkeley. In-state cost for Alabama students isn't germane to the discussion.

https://financialaid.berkeley.edu/cost-attendance

Top Kids from IL are flocking to UA because of the cost of The University of Illinois.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story.html

Cost of Attendance

The table below shows in-state and out-of-state tuition and fees for the 2017-2018 academic year. These amounts reflect the estimated costs for a full-time dependent undergraduate student. For additional information, visit studentaccounts.ua.edu.

Direct Cost In-State Out-of-State
Indirect Cost In-State Out-of-State
Tuition $10,780 $28,100
Fees Estimate $800 $800
Room $8,900 $8,900
Board $4,324 $4,324
Total Direct Cost $24,804 $42,124
Books $1,200 $1,200
Transportation $1,740 $2,870
Miscellaneous $2,380 $2,380
Loan Fee Estimate $60 $60
Total Indirect Cost $5,380 $6,510
TOTAL (Direct + Indirect) $30,184

$48,634

10 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

My point: The University of Alabama has very generous scholarships for high stat students.

Whoa, stop the freaking presses!!! An institution of higher learning actually rewards the best students. Why hasn’t this been tried before?

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Okay, whatever that means.

So you’re saying you need the remedial course?

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Whoa, stop the freaking presses!!! An institution of higher learning actually rewards the best students. Why hasn’t this been tried before?

Most scholarships have a financial need component. Alabama’s academic scholarships are strictly merit based and they are guaranteed X SAT/ACT, X GPA = X $’s. Plus, they are very generous. It’s been a brilliant strategy.

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Dingdingdingding!

Why is our neighbor's top student studying Math at Alabama?  Because they offered him the best scholarship deal at a good price and recruited him.  He was accepted at a more prestigious school and was prepared to go - his math prof. Mom booked herself to teach extra summer classes to earn the extra money - then UA called and said "come here, we'll give you all this $$", they offered him the chance to do math research as a Freshman etc etc....

I'm not saying that UA is a bad school, far from it, but BF4 has it right, those articles are all about UA marketing itself to bring in top students who raise their SAT and ACT score ranges, not about UA being a better academic school than UofI etc.....

.....and wait for it: none of them address Rosen's comments at all, since he didn't contend anything about UA overall academically, just about the football program.

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Most scholarships have a financial need component. Alabama’s academic scholarships are strictly merit based and they are guaranteed X SAT/ACT, X GPA = X $’s. Plus, they are very generous. It’s been a brilliant strategy.

That is nothing new or unusual, but perhaps your favorite school offers those incentives because it is the only way they can attract non-knuckle draggers. 

8 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It's a common strategy.  We have a file of letters from various out-of-state, public universities offering my kid various forms of scholarship up to and including free rides (she didn't accept any of them).    It's a win-win-lose: the school wins because they boost their average SAT/ACT scores and raise the high end of the range, thus improving their USN ranking and overall charisma as a "good academic" school.  The smart out of state students, many of whom wouldn't qualify for merit aid at elite private schools, win.  The in-state students whose families tax dollars are funding those universities, lose because there are fewer spots available to them at their own in-state school and less merit-based scholarships for students who need it.

Whether it's brilliant or no, depends upon your perspective, what you feel the mission of state-funded public universities should be and what students they should serve.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a common strategy.  We have a file of letters from various out-of-state, public universities offering my kid various forms of scholarship up to and including free rides (she didn't accept any of them).    It's a win-win-lose: the school wins because they boost their average SAT/ACT scores and raise the high end of the range, thus improving their USN ranking and overall charisma as a "good academic" school.  The smart out of state students, many of whom wouldn't qualify for merit aid at elite private schools, win.  The in-state students whose families tax dollars are funding those universities, lose because there are fewer spots available to them at their own in-state school and less merit-based scholarships for students who need it.

Whether it's brilliant or no, depends upon your perspective, what you feel the mission of state-funded public universities should be and what students they should serve.

It’s not a common strategy. Name the “elite” schools that offer super generous merit based scholarships that don’t require any financial reporting. 

19 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

2012 article. They have made significant changes since then.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Full ride meaning tuition and room/board and no financial reporting was required, plus it was guaranteed? Hmm. Which schools were they?

Edited by Sky Diver