If we were to trade up, when would it happen?

10 minutes ago, slaphappy said:

And what happens if you move up to #2 now and Cleveland picks that ONE particular guy? Take someone at 2 you might have been able to get at picks 4-8?

And what if they already talked to the Giants about what they might want and they said there is ONE particular guy we want..call us back after we see who Cleveland picked.

I don't think whoever gets drafted at 2 will be available at picks 4-8, even a non QB like Barkley or Chubb, but that's JMO.   However, question two is very valid. I do believe they already had a conversation with the Giants about the number two pick, I'm just not sure they would tell them exactly what player it is they covet though, as I feel like doing that is giving away too much information, even if insider knowledge says we 99.9% are leaning towards this guy.   But I DO hope that if we intend on moving to 2, waiting until draft night is not a good idea.  Any pick after that I suppose waiting would be the best bet. 

The uncertainty and the anticipation are literally going to kill me.  As much as I am looking forward to our biggest draft night EVER, the anxiety and stress over it make me want this sh!t to be over already....

I think it has to happen during the draft. First spot is 2. The next spot is 4 to get in front of the Broncos, then it is that 7-10 range before the Dolphins and Cards. That said, if you can get the Giants to trade you two, then you could make the move now. Problem with that is that you are giving the Jets a chance to jump you at 1. 

If Beane and Gettelman have  agreed to a trade, there is no reason to announce that now. The Jets could go and offer the Browns the moon to trade down 2 spots. If Beane and Gettelman are working a deal or have a wink wink deal in place, their relationship would allow them to go  into silent mode about it to keep the Jets from knowing and can make the trade on the clock.  

If there is a deal, it behooves Gettelman to keep it quiet so that NY media doesn't tear apart the trade for the next four weeks. He takes that opportunity from them and let's the media continue to talk about the Jets. 

38 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

I don't think whoever gets drafted at 2 will be available at picks 4-8, even a non QB like Barkley or Chubb, but that's JMO.   However, question two is very valid. I do believe they already had a conversation with the Giants about the number two pick, I'm just not sure they would tell them exactly what player it is they covet though, as I feel like doing that is giving away too much information, even if insider knowledge says we 99.9% are leaning towards this guy.   But I DO hope that if we intend on moving to 2, waiting until draft night is not a good idea.  Any pick after that I suppose waiting would be the best bet. 

The uncertainty and the anticipation are literally going to kill me.  As much as I am looking forward to our biggest draft night EVER, the anxiety and stress over it make me want this sh!t to be over already....

Would you be ok with moving to #2 if it's Mayfield? I'm thinking that's who they want.

40 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

They don't have to tell each other who they covet.. just make it clear they aren't ready to trade yet depending on pick 1. Perhaps Cleveland throws a curve ball and doesn't pick a QB at #1 knowing they can get a good one to sit behind Tyrod 3 picks later. Heck the first Qb could possibly go to the Jests.. not likely but possible.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think it has to happen during the draft. First spot is 2. The next spot is 4 to get in front of the Broncos, then it is that 7-10 range before the Dolphins and Cards. That said, if you can get the Giants to trade you two, then you could make the move now. Problem with that is that you are giving the Jets a chance to jump you at 1. 

If Beane and Gettelman have  agreed to a trade, there is no reason to announce that now. The Jets could go and offer the Browns the moon to trade down 2 spots. If Beane and Gettelman are working a deal or have a wink wink deal in place, their relationship would allow them to go  into silent mode about it to keep the Jets from knowing and can make the trade on the clock.  

If there is a deal, it behooves Gettelman to keep it quiet so that NY media doesn't tear apart the trade for the next four weeks. He takes that opportunity from them and let's the media continue to talk about the Jets. 

By waiting to trade the NYG would be giving less knowledge to other teams to prepare for.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I hope you're right.  Beane's history with Gettelman makes this a possibility as far as keeping quiet goes.

2 hours ago, slaphappy said:

Would you be ok with moving to #2 if it's Mayfield? I'm thinking that's who they want.

They don't have to tell each other who they covet.. just make it clear they aren't ready to trade yet depending on pick 1. Perhaps Cleveland throws a curve ball and doesn't pick a QB at #1 knowing they can get a good one to sit behind Tyrod 3 picks later. Heck the first Qb could possibly go to the Jests.. not likely but possible.

I would  be THRILLED if it's Mayfield that we moved up to 2 to secure.  Him OR Rosen and I can exhale a sigh of relief, turn the tv off, and not even watch the rest of the draft.  I'm sure McBeane will handle things properly....I will need the emotional recovery time anyway :-)

• Like (+1) 1

It will be to #2 and it will be on draft night when the Giants go on the clock and the cost will include our 2019 #1. 

I mean maybe I am the only one who thought Beane basically told us all that earlier in the week but I don't think you had to do much reading between the lines. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It will be to #2 and it will be on draft night when the Giants go on the clock and the cost will include our 2019 #1. 

I mean maybe I am the only one who thought Beane basically told us all that earlier in the week but I don't think you had to do much reading between the lines. 

This makes me happy to hear if we do indeed pull the trigger.  Not a big fan of waiting until draft night to do it, but hey as long as it gets done.  I suck at reading between the lines, probably why I didn't have a clue, lol.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

as long as the Browns take Darnold #1

7 hours ago, Manther said:

Agreed, grading the QBs vs the others and more importantly vs the QBs over the last 20 years is most important!

I guess if we like 4 QBs we could make the move.  However, if we like 4 QBs (we have the most ammo) we could probably wait to see the QBs come off the board and give up less capital!  We could probably trade up when the 3rd comes off the board.  But, should at least trade up when the 2nd comes off the board to avoid an issue where the team on the clock won't trade with us.  So, essentially, the 4th spot would be when 2 QBs are off the board maybe 3.  So, I guess that thought process proves you correct.

At lot of moving parts.  All that I know is the grading of the QBs is most important, we have the most draft capital and we must get our guy!

I hear ya.  The only problem with waiting until the draft to trade into the top 4 is that another team may pull the trigger on a deal before us.  If that team trades to 4 with the browns and the giants take a QB we lose all 4.  If we really like Lamar Jackson or (throws up in my mouth) Rudolph, waiting on the trade makes sense.  I just don’t see that happening.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, bills6969 said:

For example, if we trade up to #2.  Obviously, if we wait, it allows other team to beat us to it, but the closer we get to draft day perhaps the more willing the Giants would be to a deal.

The Bills might love only one QB in Darnold or Allen and if Cleveland takes him with the #1 they wasted all those picks moving up.

Like Denver stated it makes more sense to see how the draft unfolds before giving up so many picks in a very talented draft.

9 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

I don't have the answer, but it's a very good question you bring up.  They must have QB at 1, 2, and 3 on their board and they don't mind settling for the last option of the 3.   To me there's SUCH a huge difference between 2 and 3, particularly this year, I guess they tried to get to 2 but the Giants wouldn't do business with their roommate?  That's the only thing can think of.  I

I know the Eagles traded up to #2 around April 20th (about a week before the draft) but by that point everyone kind of already knew that Goff was the Rams guy, so the Eagles felt very comfortable trading to #2 to get their guy Wentz (and they said as much). 

But the Jets on the other hand.... they seem to have no clue what 2 QBs could be off the board before they pick. Especially since the trade was made 6 weeks out from the draft, before teams even had their visits scheduled with these prospects, or held private workouts etc.

I've said all along that I thought their trade to #3 was a reckless move (and most likely made by a guy who is desperate to keep his job). 

The chances of THREE quarterbacks in this draft being worth the haul of picks the Jets gave up (4 top 49 picks) are pretty slim. The odds are definitely against it. 

But the Jets seem content to just throw a dart at any one of the top 3 QBs in this draft (which seems kinda crazy to me...) 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya.  The only problem with waiting until the draft to trade into the top 4 is that another team may pull the trigger on a deal before us.  If that team trades to 4 with the browns and the giants take a QB we lose all 4.  If we really like Lamar Jackson or (throws up in my mouth) Rudolph, waiting on the trade makes sense.  I just don’t see that happening.

Ok, I hear you too.  IMO the Browns do not trade out of #4 until they know that the NYG are doing.  I don't think the Browns will trade that pick until they know exactly who they want as their 2nd player in the draft and the landscape of the draft.  As soon as the Browns trade the #4 pick they lose leverage on their ability to move around in the top of the draft with the elite players.

I feel we would have already made the trade to #2, but what the Giants are asking for is more than what Beane is willing to pay.  I know we are in pretty desperate need of a QB, but we also have other holes to fill as well.  All the players we have given up to acquire these picks... Watkins, Darby, Glenn, Taylor... and then all the picks that it would take to make the move, I believe is too much.  If a more reasonable deal, or suitor a little further down if who the Bills want is available, I believe it will happen on draft day.

1 hour ago, Manther said:

Ok, I hear you too.  IMO the Browns do not trade out of #4 until they know that the NYG are doing.  I don't think the Browns will trade that pick until they know exactly who they want as their 2nd player in the draft and the landscape of the draft.  As soon as the Browns trade the #4 pick they lose leverage on their ability to move around in the top of the draft with the elite players.

Gotcha, makes sense.  I just hope we don’t move to 5-10 prior to the draft.  It allows someone else to jump us a completely screw up our plan

14 hours ago, Augie said:

On the clock. Know your guy is there. 

Doing otherwise is stupid. The only top five pick that you trade up for before the draft is the #1 pick. A team doesn't trade up into the Top 5 from #12 unless its guy is there.  If the team is willing to take "any one of the above", then they're incompetent.