Are you a collector of things?

145B4IDIE

On 3/31/2018 at 12:35 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

A lot of the elitist communities have ordinances against them now.

A lot of the communities have "associations" and the home owners make the rules

I just want a normal neighborhood.

I guess I can understand a retired couple not wanting an above ground pool outside their bedroom window, but I am not there.

No one MAKES people live under these rules.

No clothes lines.

No above ground pools.

No trash at curb until morning of collection.

No swing sets.

No bicycles left in yard.

No cars in driveway overnight (some exceptions OK if temporary)

• Like (+1) 1

I collect two things that I have great passion for. The first is Buffalo sports teams pennants. I have many rare ones, including the pennants for the Buffalo Norsemen of the NAHL, Buffalo Wings of Professional Roller Hockey and (rarest of all) the Toronto/Buffalo Royals of World Team tennis (the team split it's home games between Buffalo and Toronto, hummm, wonder where Russ Brandon got that idea from?)

The second is more rare, but I am two books away from having a complete Hardcover collection of all 43 of the Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators books. Sort of like the Hardy Boys, but way better. The later editions are very rare as they stopped making hardcover available to the general public and only created them for libraries. They often sell for $250 per book or more, but I have been patient and have found a few unaware sellers on Ebay and have scooped them up for far below market value.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

1 hour ago, rockpile said:

A lot of the communities have "associations" and the home owners make the rules

I just want a normal neighborhood.

I guess I can understand a retired couple not wanting an above ground pool outside their bedroom window, but I am not there.

No one MAKES people live under these rules.

No clothes lines.

No above ground pools.

No trash at curb until morning of collection.

No swing sets.

No bicycles left in yard.

No cars in driveway overnight (some exceptions OK if temporary)

I can't agree more Rock!

As my truck sits parked in my driveway and my woodpile exists in backyard! 

I got swing set too...  :D

Polish neighbors across street still hang clothes.

Sorry to say wife is too far gone for that.  Yet, she collects the pins.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Fountain pens and ink and all that stuff, a mid-level contributor to the FountainPenNetwork.

Glad I jogged your memory.

Is this some kind of oppositional disorder? Collect the things they told Lefties they shouldn't use?

:P

They did have blotters and dusting/drying compound... ;)

Contrarian is a good thing to be from Day One, as long as it doesn't get too damaging....

I started writing in the mid-70s when it was no longer a tool of Satan to write with the left hand.

Not sure how the habit started with pens, but it is affordable, and I didn't go into watches and cars and marriages as expensive hobbies....

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Contrarian is a good thing to be from Day One, as long as it doesn't get too damaging....

I started writing in the mid-70s when it was no longer a tool of Satan to write with the left hand.

Not sure how the habit started with pens, but it is affordable, and I didn't go into watches and cars and marriages as expensive hobbies....

Love it!  Is this a subtle dig for me?

I do have ability to self-reflect and look inward... ;)

Unfortunately, people naturally go off the rails with destructive behavior.

Writing is not one of them... Unless I suppose you are writing a prescription by hand? ;)

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Love it!  Is this a subtle dig for me?

I do have ability to self-reflect and look inward... ;)

Unfortunately, people naturally go off the rails with destructive behavior.

Writing is not one of them... Unless I suppose you are writing a prescription by hand? ;)

no dig at you, you are one of the good ones on this board....

just that sometimes taking the opposite view can be harming so i try not to hurt myself over something i didn't care about in the first place and wasn't necessary.

i still do a lot of writing for journals and draft reports and stuff, i enjoy it

and 100 bottles of good ink always makes it feel like brand new when i fill up another pen.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

no dig at you, you are one of the good ones on this board....

just that sometimes taking the opposite view can be harming so i try not to hurt myself over something i didn't care about in the first place and wasn't necessary.

i still do a lot of writing for journals and draft reports and stuff, i enjoy it

and 100 bottles of good ink always makes it feel like brand new when i fill up another pen.

Yep! Cant agree more!

People keep on pushing well into the realm of deviance with destruction of social norms and mores. 

Children (and adults espousing) being taught, that nothing should be normal, to breakdown everything for the good of their own selfishness, feelings, emotions, & personal gain. They are always the last to know, figure it all out.

"Take her hand
She will lead you through the fire
Give you back hope
And hope that you won't take too much
Respecting what is left
She cradled us
She held us in her arms
Unselfish in her suffering she could not understand
That no one seemed to have the time
To cherish what was given

And I would be the last to know
And I would be the last to let it show
I would be the last to go...
Mary walks..."

I collect comics......I have my whole life.

Ive got somewhere around 10,000 of them and they are priceless.

My insurance company put a separate insurance on them just in case.....

If I ever decided to cash them in my family will be set for life.

I've got a lot of Bills stuff, but the funny thing is, most of it has been given to me, not purchased. Some unusual items too. Like a Peerless Price trading card that I'm easily seen in the background. A banner from the streets of Pittsford NY from Training Camp. Several years of pre-game field access passes. A "Taste Of The Season" apron that was worn by Rob Johnson. Seats that were removed during the renovation back in 1997. The list goes on and on.....

1 hour ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I used to collect wooden ducks and gold coins. Then I was broke and had sell them all to pay bills. I collect dust now.

What is Fenton glass?

My mom sells Fenton Glass on EBay.  Has half the house filled up with the crap.  My old man is about to move into the garage., I don’t get the appeal.  It all looks like grandma’s candy dish to me.

16 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My mom sells Fenton Glass on EBay.  Has half the house filled up with the crap.  My old man is about to move into the garage., I don’t get the appeal.  It all looks like grandma’s candy dish to me.

baseball bat to it when she gives it all to you?

7 hours ago, rockpile said:

My collection was comic books. A one time I had probably 12,000 or more. I have harvested that down to less than 1,000 that I keep because I like them or possible investment. Starting in the late 80's and increasingly in the 90's, demand for comics decreased. Also, like sports cards, there were so many "commons" that you would e lucky if one in a hundred kept collector interest.

My collection got damaged during a few moves (one where I needed to travel and my wife needed to move entire household herself) with new books added but less and less as rockpile states publishers started making them for speculators.  Quit buying Marvel comics in 90s when Shooter shot his mouth often once too often talking about how buyers were stupid and they could revive characters as many times as they want and buyers would keep buying (non-coincidentally sales dropped on a lot of books).  Quit others except rare buys when I was laid off in 2010 without a job lead in sight.  Only have bought trade paperbacks recently and mostly from when Crown Books was in business.

I have collection from my mother - 6 large boxes of wooden animals of many different sizes.  They were given to me when she went to assisted living home since majority I bought for her.  A couple are unpacked and around my house but far too many to display and cannot find a reliable charity to donate to who will not just sell them to a bulk purchaser on 1-5 cents on a dollar.