Bucky Brooks: Book on Lamar Jackson

Book on Lamar Jackson: Saints, Jags, Bengals fit Louisville QB
Editor's note: NFL.com analyst and former NFL scout Bucky Brooks reveals "the book on" some of the 2018 NFL Draft's most highly coveted prospects. In the fifth installment of the series, we look at Louisville QB Lamar Jackson.

It's uncommon for a Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback to follow up his award-winning campaign with an even better season and still not receive his proper due, but that is the curious case of Lamar Jackson in the 2018 NFL Draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That's a good take. It's hard to justify spending the 12th pick on him.

If they get a LB or OL at 12 and Jackson at 22, that will be a great 1st round, IMO.

Given the importance of the position, it's not at all hard to justify. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Given the importance of the position, it's not at all hard to justify. 

Getting "a" QB at 12 isn't what needs justification, if the right guy falls that far (doubtful).  Getting Lamar Jackson at 12 would absolutely need justification..

• Like (+1) 1

The fact that he doesn't list us as a landing spot makes me are one of the anonymous sources that do not see him as an amazing prospect..  Especially after having a dual threat for the past three years..

Would not shock me if Bucky still has some ties back to the organization after all these years..

8 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

This is an accuracy league. Seems pretty rare and hard to fix a guy to make him more accurate. 

Every year he got better on a team where every year they got worse with WR Drops.. I would not weigh in to much on his accuracy as its been widely discussed in these forums.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

This is an accuracy league. Seems pretty rare and hard to fix a guy to make him more accurate. 

Normally I agree with this for the most part.  A 5% bump is really as much as you can realistically hope for or expect.  However, Lamar may be different.  His mechanics were pretty rough 2 seasons ago, but he made some pretty nice adjustments last season.  But that was only his first season of really trying to be a "QB."  I think with good NFL positional coaching he may be able to make larger strides in the accuracy department than most.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Normally I agree with this for the most part.  A 5% bump is really as much as you can realistically hope for or expect.  However, Lamar may be different.  His mechanics were pretty rough 2 seasons ago, but he made some pretty nice adjustments last season.  But that was only his first season of really trying to be a "QB."  I think with good NFL positional coaching he may be able to make larger strides in the accuracy department than most.

and you add 5% you put him right around the middle of the NFL league average. There were plenty of Franchise QB's that came out of college with a bad acc. rate and turned out great. I think your picking on a horrific stat instead of looking at the whole picture.

EDITED

EJ Manuel ended his college career with excellent accuracy.. tell me how did that work out?  things change in NFL for the good or bad. again I think looking purely on acc. is a bad move.

Edited by PrimeTime101

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

and you add 5% you put him right around the middle of the NFL league average. There were plenty of Franchise QB's that came out of college with a bad acc. rate and turned out great. I think your picking on a horrific stat instead of looking at the whole picture.

EDITED

EJ Manuel ended his college career with excellent accuracy.. tell me how did that work out?  things change in NFL for the good or bad. again I think looking purely on acc. is a bad move.

You are right about Manual. 68% completion. Kind of comical when you think of his happy feet check downs.

to me, I want someone who is already mechanically sound. That should translate into a good accuracy percentage. If the scouts say that Lamar is mechanically great and his accuracy issues are due to WR drops, then I am fine with it. I just think it is hard to try to change guys mechanics in the NFL. 

He is getting similar treatment from real scouts as Tebow did who also a Heisman trophy and had outrageous numbers both passing and rushing and Tebow(a 170 qbr in college compared to lamars 142)got picked late first, lamar has more potential than Tebow. It's clear that most scouts are worried about fixing his accuracy, mechanics, etc or he would be the number 1 pick. Lamar seems like a leader with alot more speed than Tebow. Though their game is not that similar their heisman trophy past and great college careers elevates their draft stock, but scouts didn't have them at the top of the draft class. He should go mid first for his potential, in fact he will probably be motivated even more if he is picked later, but he does have to work on accuracy, inconsistancy and fix some mechanics, which I am sure he has potential to fix and will still get picked top 15 even with teams knowing that.  

27 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

He also played with garbage. Not sure if anyone else in the Louisville we will be getting drafted this year, but no one has in the last two drafts. He has played with no one else on offense that has been drafted. Talent around him did not do him any favors in the accuracy department. He's certainly had his misses as well, but there's plenty of room for improvement simply by having the proper caliber players at skill positions.

49 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

The 

His footwork and mechanics are so god awful, he never sees the RB in the flat. He makes no adjustments and has no idea what the defense is doing to him. NFL defense's are way better and faster, I see no way that this guy makes it as a QB. Jackson has a long long long long long long long long long long long way to go to even get to Tyrod Taylor's skill level. He is going to fall in this draft faster than Jimmy Hoffa wearing cement shoes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

You are right about Manual. 68% completion. Kind of comical when you think of his happy feet check downs.

to me, I want someone who is already mechanically sound. That should translate into a good accuracy percentage. If the scouts say that Lamar is mechanically great and his accuracy issues are due to WR drops, then I am fine with it. I just think it is hard to try to change guys mechanics in the NFL. 

again. EJ WAS mechanically sound coming out.. it doesn't transfer to NFL caliber it just doesn't. I get where you coming from I really do but there is more involved with accuracy then the QB throwing the ball.

39 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

He is getting similar treatment from real scouts as Tebow did who also a Heisman trophy and had outrageous numbers both passing and rushing and Tebow(a 170 qbr in college compared to lamars 142)got picked late first, lamar has more potential than Tebow. It's clear that most scouts are worried about fixing his accuracy, mechanics, etc or he would be the number 1 pick. Lamar seems like a leader with alot more speed than Tebow. Though their game is not that similar their heisman trophy past and great college careers elevates their draft stock, but scouts didn't have them at the top of the draft class. He should go mid first for his potential, in fact he will probably be motivated even more if he is picked later, but he does have to work on accuracy, inconsistancy and fix some mechanics, which I am sure he has potential to fix and will still get picked top 15 even with teams knowing that.  

Oh I hope your not comparing Tim Tebow to Jackson.. its not even close.