Browns Trade QB Cody Kessler to the Jaguars

1 hour ago, KRT88 said:

Can the conditional pick officially be nothing?

that would be funny if they guy literally ends up being traded for nothing.   

Yes it can.  It happened with the Cardinals and Levi brown.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/levi-brown-trade-was-it-worth-it-for-the-arizona-cardinals-6631017

TL;DR version

He needed to be on the active roster for 5 games but got hurt in camp and was out for the season so no comp pick.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

I'm not a big fan of Darnold. Carson Palmer is likely the only USC exception. Otherwise, you have Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, Todd Marinovich, Matt Barkley, Rob Johnson, Matt Cassel, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, John David Booty, Cody Kessler, Sean Salisbury, Paul McDonald and Vince Evans. Not much NFL success.

1 hour ago, BuffaloSol said:

If it was the same coach and system the whole time you would be on to something, but these using a false equivalency like the schools name should not be used to judge a QB.

Even that's problematic. Being attached to Jeff Tedford (coach of Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, and AJ Feeley) led to Aaron Rodgers dropping 20 some-odd draft slots. 

Lesson: Always, always judge the player and disregard the rep of the school and the system. The latter path is lazy thinking.

More, and from a Buffalo scout in 2005 no less:

"Marc Ross, Buffalo: "[Aaron Rodgers] is a little short. The thing you worry about is those (Jeff) Tedford guys. They don't do anything for a couple years and then they have a good year or two. Who of his quarterbacks has done what they're supposed to do? None of them. Is he just working magic with great college quarterbacks or just manufacturing guys?"

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/203116571.html/

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Even that's problematic. Being attached to Jeff Tedford (coach of Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, and AJ Feeley) led to Aaron Rodgers dropping 20 some-odd draft slots. 

Lesson: Always, always judge the player and disregard the rep of the school and the system. The latter path is lazy thinking.

I agree but it still has more relevance than the name of the school.

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Kessler is an improvement over Bortles IMO.  I actually liked him coming out.  Very accurate passer.  Don't let his experience with the Browns fool you completely.  He can become something...maybe...possibly...but probably not at this point.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am not 100% sure Cody Kessler isn't just as good as Blake Bortles.    I think this is a very cheap way for the Jaguars to get a guy who could push Bortles to start and not have to use a legitimate draft pick.

I think its a great move for the Jags.

You're both kidding, right?

Bortles is absolutely better that Kessler.

29 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

More, and from a Buffalo scout in 2005 no less:

"Marc Ross, Buffalo: "[Aaron Rodgers] is a little short. The thing you worry about is those (Jeff) Tedford guys. They don't do anything for a couple years and then they have a good year or two. Who of his quarterbacks has done what they're supposed to do? None of them. Is he just working magic with great college quarterbacks or just manufacturing guys?"

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/203116571.html/

image.png.0b08974c0c086e3cce1485ac8060d084.png

• Like (+1) 1

Am I the only one who watches Browns games more than I'd like too? I think they have some Texas players so they get airtime here.

Anyways, I thought Kessler was their best quarterback for the most part since he joined. He made some great throws without much help around him. Does anyone agree? I think he could have a resurgence elsewhere, certainly as a backup.

51 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is surprising that the Browns could not get more for their former 3rd round pick; he must really look bad to professional evaluators.

Like we did with Ragland? I think they just don't want too many quarterbacks is all. I'd say if you think the Browns lost on the trade, it's probably because professional evaluators took advantage of Brown's FO. Shocker.

Then again I don't know the full details of the trade.