McDermott: NFL is a “drop-back league”

A big pocket QB, exactly what this team needs as a starter. Sounds like a big no to Jackson being drafted IMO and I am 100% supportive of the big pocket QB that will stand in the pocket and throw over the OMG I have to run Tyrod.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The thing is that you can apply any of these statements to any of the QBs you want and pretend that they're describing your guy. All of the QBs in this draft are capable of dropping back and throwing; and saying that the ability to do so is important is something that literally every coach, scout, and fan would agree with.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 5

I don't think it is a smokescreen.  It was a general statement, they have intimated as much in previous statements going back some time and they drafted Cam.   I think in a perfect world they'd like to have a 6'5 traditional QB who can drop back and make accurate throws.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Smokescreen or can we start narrowing down the options here for real...

Beane has been saying this for awhile now.

I don't see Jackson on their radar at all.  I think they really want Rosen or Darnold and that's the only 2 that I believe they're willing to package a deal for.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Beane has been saying this for awhile now.

I don't see Jackson on their radar at all.  I think they really want Rosen or Darnold and that's the only 2 that I believe they're willing to package a deal for.

I think you better add Allen to that list.   I truly believe they have Rosen and Allen ahead of Darnold.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Too bad the NFL isn't a "shotgun league."  If that was the case, Lamar Jackson could possibly be the next Tom Brady.

58% of all offensive snaps in the NFL were from the shotgun. 79% of pass plays were from the shotgun.

Source - https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/snap-rates--shotgun-v-under-center--off-.html

Edited by Blokestradamus
  • Like (+1) 10

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think you better add Allen to that list.   I truly believe they have Rosen and Allen ahead of Darnold.  

You could absolutely be right.  I just feel that Allen doesn't have the accuracy they want.  Beane specifically mentioned accuracy in an interview recently and I think Allen is the most inaccurate of the top 4.

I will admit I have this thinking because I'm not an Allen fan at all....so I am biased.

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

58% of all offensive snaps in the NFL were from the shotgun. 79% of pass plays were from the shotgun.

;)

Heard those numbers on WGR this morning. Apparently many teams are in the 70% range in terms of percentage of plays out of shotgun. 

What I found really interesting, was the Bills ran 80% of their plays out of the shotgun in 2016. 

The only guy I can't see the Bills being interested in is Lamar Jackson.

His game is almost identical to Tyrod Taylor's.  He's definitely got a stronger arm, and is slower as a runner.  But their styles are the same.

Jackson's abilities will be enhanced by a creative Offensive Coordinator, who is willing to incorporate lots of roll-outs, the occasional read-option and some designed QB runs.  That was everything we tried to move away from last year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You could absolutely be right.  I just feel that Allen doesn't have the accuracy they want.  Beane specifically mentioned accuracy in an interview recently and I think Allen is the most inaccurate of the top 4.

I will admit I have this thinking because I'm not an Allen fan at all....so I am biased.

I think he is absolutely terrible, but I think he fits the mold of the quarterbacks drafted by the regimes Beane, Daboll, and McDermott have drafted historically.  Big, decent win percentage with less of a emphasis on completion percentage and yards per game. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The thing is that you can apply any of these statements to any of the QBs you want and pretend that they're describing your guy. All of the QBs in this draft are capable of dropping back and throwing; and saying that the ability to do so is important is something that literally every coach, scout, and fan would agree with.

Not really, some have done it their whole college career, and some literally never did it more than a couple times, and it showed with their combine footwork. If he's telling the truth then you could definitely eliminate some names from contention.

this is not an argument that the QBs who haven't can't be good, btw.

1 minute ago, TOboy said:

Heard those numbers on WGR this morning. Apparently many teams are in the 70% range in terms of percentage of plays out of shotgun. 

What I found really interesting, was the Bills ran 80% of their plays out of the shotgun in 2016. 

I think the 80% stat makes a lot of sense considering how much they were running/faking zone read & option plays.

I swear some people still live in the 70's and/or don't watch other teams.

• Like (+1) 1

Why would McDermott go out of his way to intentionally state it is a drop back league. To me this only further confirms that Lamar Jackson is a real possibility. They are putting this narrative out there to "distance"  themselves from Lamar in hopes that he falls to them 

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn
  • Like (+1) 1