Making the case for Lamar Jackson

502Buffs

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am so hoping we draft him.....just to watch the tears

You said the same thing about Buffalo keeping Tyrod, where is he now?

And here I am still laughing.

Football IQ can’t be “taught” as you say. The great ones have it right at the start of their careers. Let’s stop jumping all in on guys needing development and get someone with talent, football IQ, and leadership already. I trust our GM over the Mel Kipers of the world. 

• Like (+1) 1

The ability to run is a great thing if you add it to a pocket passer.

But there's a problem with guys who are sensational athletes playing QB. And the problem is that if they're confused, if they miss something downfield and they run, they make big plays and the cheerleaders make goo-goo eyes at them and so does everyone else. And they get nothing but rewards through high school and college for leaving the pocket early, for leaving open receivers unthrown-to and scoring TDs with their feet.

And they develop the bad habit of running at the first sign of trouble. And in the NFL the athletes they're up against are better than they've ever faced and they aren't as effective at creating off broken plays, and yet their mental habit is to leave the pocket at the first sign of a problem because it's what has served them best all their lives.

This can drive OCs insane because it negates the tactical advantages of a good passing playbook.

Now, some guys can develop and figure it out. Young is one. And maybe Cam Newton, though it's early and hard to know how his career will go. Will he lose his ability to escape, juke and outrun people as he gets older and the injuries mount? Will he be able to change his style of play if that happens?

It can be done, but it means you've got to make a huge adjustment that most guys have already made earlier in their careers, getting used to working effectively in the pocket, retraining yourself to stay there.

Oh, and for those saying it's been proven that scramblers don't get injured more often than pocket guys, you have to look at exactly what was examined in that study. They looked at percentage of games lost to injury. They didn't look at how long careers lasted and were they cut short.

If they pick Jackson I'll be cheering for him. If they do, I hope they sit him for a year or two and work on developing new habits. Of course, I hope they do the same thing if they draft Rosen or Mayfield or whoever. None of these guys except maybe Darnold seems as completely ready as I'd like. I'm willing to believe, particularly as Matt Waldman, a very smart evaluator, has really good things to say about Jackson. I'd rather have some of the higher-rated guys. But I'm not as smart as Beane. But even smart GMs aren't perfect.

In the long run I just hope they pick someone who can be a franchise QB, which in the system the Bills want to run absolutely means he has to be able to effectively pass from the pocket on a very consistent basis. Maybe Jackson can. I hope so. Myself, I'd rather have Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield, even if it means giving up an awful lot in trade.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

2 things for you:1) Lamar was criticized for staying in the pocket too long- not tucking and running too soon and 2) there is no way he has a weak arm. He has a bad habit not to turn his hips on short throws that leads to poor accuracy and velocity on those throws. A good QB coach will rectify that issue.

13 hours ago, the skycap said:

What the hell was Mel Kiper watching at the combine? He was not all over the place with his throws. Kiper wouldn't answer why accuracy was a problem for Jackson, but not for Allen. As far as Mel Kiper goes, I'll continue to quote Bill Tobin.

I love Lamar and have him as my #1 QB, but he was kinda all over the place at the Combine, and his bad throws were probably worse than anyone else's. One of his deep balls was literally like 15 yards short of its target.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Locomark said:

Football IQ can’t be “taught” as you say. The great ones have it right at the start of their careers. Let’s stop jumping all in on guys needing development and get someone with talent, football IQ, and leadership already. I trust our GM over the Mel Kipers of the world. 

I'm not sure what that's intended to imply, but if you've read up on Lamar, he has very good football IQ. He ran Petrino's Offense which is one of the most complicated in college football, mostly from the pocket - as Petrino and his son coached him up to stay in the pocket. Cover1 does a nice job of breaking it down and giving you some back story to how he earned his way into starting and how he got his scholarship. Talent? You question his talent? Dude might have the strongest arm behind Allen in this Draft and he is absolutely much, much closer to Michael Vick than anyone else in a long time. Leadership? Do you understand the principle? Because this young man overcame adversity and challenges at nearly every level and demonstrated - quietly I might add, without off-field issues or distractions - on how you lead by example. 

And I do trust Beane and his team, a lot...so much so that even if / when they make a selection I don't understand or agree with, I'm going to roll with it because I do believe they're very good at what they're doing...that's the first time I can say that in a long time. 

One scout, who covered Louisville in-season, said (at the NFL Combine) that he liked Lamar Jackson a lot on film. But said he wouldn't vouch for him early in the draft if his GM asked. You can like Lamar on-film and still have concerns about his non-football situation.

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

One scout, who covered Louisville in-season, said (at the NFL Combine) that he liked Lamar Jackson a lot on film. But said he wouldn't vouch for him early in the draft if his GM asked. You can like Lamar on-film and still have concerns about his non-football situation.

The only thing fans should be worried about is how he performs on Sunday

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Since we now know that he can barely read or write, I'd say this is a pretty legitimate worry for the team who drafts him.

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

well seeing his wonderlic score is lower than a janitor..hard pass

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

What does AROD have to do with this thread?

Just now, BillsFan2313 said:

Jim Kelly - 15

Terry Bradshaw - 15

Steve Mcnair - 15

Donovon McNabb - 14

Vinny Testaverde - 17

Different positions, but the beloved Khalil Mack - 17

ALLLLLLLL of those guys are from different eras.

You can NOT take a QB with a 13 on the wonderlic.

That's like drooling on himself status.

• Haha (+1) 1