Denzel Ward at 12

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

If Buffalo does not trade out of #12, and if they draft a position other than QB at #12, I think linebacker is the most likely pick.  It could be Roquon Smith or Tremaine Edmunds.  After that, I think defensive tackle or wide receiver is next most likely.  The tackle could be Vita Vea and the WR could be Calvin Ridley.  Cornerback is not an impossible direction, but IMO it's down the list a bit.  But then, that's just me.

I agree.  I just feel like Ward would almost certainly be the best player available is he is there at 12.  

I don’t think that the Bills go CB but Ward is really good. I also think there is little chance that he is on the board at 12. He doesn’t seem like the perfect fit for McDermott’s defense though. Ward, to me, is a guy that should be shadowing around precise route runners. His hips and feet are about as smooth as they come. He wasn’t meant to play in a zone IMO. He’s a lot like a smaller, less explosive with the ball in his hands, version of Lattimore. Ward will give receivers hell at the next level. He is like a bug that you can’t get off of you.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think that the Bills go CB but Ward is really good. I also think there is little chance that he is on the board at 12. He doesn’t seem like the perfect fit for McDermott’s defense though. Ward, to me, is a guy that should be shadowing around precise route runners. His hips and feet are about as smooth as they come. He wasn’t meant to play in a zone IMO. He’s a lot like a smaller, less explosive with the ball in his hands, version of Lattimore. Ward will give receivers hell at the next level. He is like a bug that you can’t get off of you.

He is the perfect nickel. I suspect he ends up like Chris Harris in Denver who starts outside but plays almost 50% of his snaps in the slot (when the Broncos go to their nickel package). Harris is a decent outside corner but not a star outside corner.... where he is a difference maker is in the slot.  He is the best slot corner in the NFL and has been critical in beating the Patriots by taking away their slot receivers and making Brady throw outside more often.  Harris went undrafted.... but ask yourself now in a re-draft would you shy away from taking him in the top 10 because he makes his best plays in the slot where he spends half of his time? I think that is the question I'd be asking if I was a GM looking at Ward.  Both the Bears and the 49ers have needs at corner and other than Minkah Fitzpatrick (who I think could be a corner I don't subscribe to the view he is a safety only) Ward is the only corner I have a 1st round grade on.  I doubt he makes it past #9.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is the perfect nickel. I suspect he ends up like Chris Harris in Denver who starts outside but plays almost 50% of his snaps in the slot (when the Broncos go to their nickel package). Harris is a decent outside corner but not a star outside corner.... where he is a difference maker is in the slot.  He is the best slot corner in the NFL and has been critical in beating the Patriots by taking away their slot receivers and making Brady throw outside more often.  Harris went undrafted.... but ask yourself now in a re-draft would you shy away from taking him in the top 10 because he makes his best plays in the slot where he spends half of his time? I think that is the question I'd be asking if I was a GM looking at Ward.  Both the Bears and the 49ers have needs at corner and other than Minkah Fitzpatrick (who I think could be a corner I don't subscribe to the view he is a safety only) Ward is the only corner I have a 1st round grade on.  I doubt he makes it past #9.  

Good post GB and I certainly agree. These slot receivers get by on quickness and that’s where I think Ward excels. Harris is a really good comp. I don’t see him going past 9. I don’t love this class of DBs (especially compared to the last few years). He’s a guy that will be pretty versatile and help a team day 1. I agree that he is gone in the top 10. He’s one of the best players in this draft. I’d have him a notch below Barkley, Nelson, Chubb and Fitzpatrick but in the tier with the QBs, and LBs. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Good post GB and I certainly agree. These slot receivers get by on quickness and that’s where I think Ward excels. Harris is a really good comp. I don’t see him going past 9. I don’t love this class of DBs (especially compared to the last few years). He’s a guy that will be pretty versatile and help a team day 1. I agree that he is gone in the top 10. He’s one of the best players in this draft. I’d have him a notch below Barkley, Nelson, Chubb and Fitzpatrick but in the tier with the QBs, and LBs. 

I have him a little lower on my big board, he is #16 on my board because I think the floor is that he is a slot "only". I am with you on this class of DBs though. I think you get past Fitzpatrick, James and Ward and it tails off pretty quick.  Mike Hughes who is my #2 or #3 corner depending where you put Fitzpatrick would have been my #8 or #9 corner last year (haven't got my board exactly to hand as at work). 

19 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I believe the Bills will probably break fans heart with the 12th pick and it will be the right decision.  After being unable to trade up to get one of the top 3 QBs the Bills will settle on a positional player instead of reaching for the next EJ Manuel.  That player will be Denzel Ward.  If you don't know him, he is a CB  and an athletic freak.  He was an All American for Ohio State last year and by drafting him the Bills will have the best 2 CB combo in the league.  I hope they are able to trade up to get the QB, but when they can't this will happen.  

Can he throw?

Edited by gobills1212

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think he will be there at 12 but he also is too small for McD’s prototype CB. He’s tiny.

Aren’t he and Tre the same height? 

Both are listed as 5-11. The internet is always right...right? 

Edited by CDogg20

On 3/26/2018 at 3:05 PM, auburnbillsbacker said:

I believe the Bills will probably break fans heart with the 12th pick and it will be the right decision.  After being unable to trade up to get one of the top 3 QBs the Bills will settle on a positional player instead of reaching for the next EJ Manuel.  That player will be Denzel Ward.  If you don't know him, he is a CB  and an athletic freak.  He was an All American for Ohio State last year and by drafting him the Bills will have the best 2 CB combo in the league.  I hope they are able to trade up to get the QB, but when they can't this will happen.  

OP's biased and his agenda is obvious. Appropriate action needs to be taken for even suggesting such a thing. :rolleyes: :D

Ward is gonna be a good NFL player. I saw him compared to Chris Harris Jr. and I think that's pretty solid. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

OP's biased and his agenda is obvious. Appropriate action needs to be taken for even suggesting such a thing. :rolleyes: :D

Ward is gonna be a good NFL player. I saw him compared to Chris Harris Jr. and I think that's pretty solid. 

I compare him to Brad Roby