Scariest thing you've ever done?

boyst

33 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am not a huge skiier, but I have now wasted an hour watching videos of this place! Holy hell I would be pooping my pants if my ski tips came within two feet of the top of that..no way could i actually go DOWN that.

That's a famous IN bounds piste! :lol: Was not even thought to be skiable til 1968.  Ski tech came along way!

Anyway, notice how the guys side stepped around that turn... Looks like they were doing in mid-winter?  Big snow on the cornice, lessens the drop?  Yeah... But what about avs?  It's still IN bounds, so they won't open if not "safe." Like too much snow building up on headwall.

Only way I would do it again at +50 is if there is big snow in it... ;) gotta have cushioning... And cheat like those guys did! ;)

It opens up big and easy peasy after that hard turn in.  Well, sorta easy... Ain't no cliff and wall staring at you while making a blind turn... Leap of faith!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Lots of stupid **** while driving as a teenager.  One such example led to me finally crashing head-on into a Lincoln Navigator while we were both going about 70.  Crushed my car in half and managed to live.

Looking back most of it had to do with driving when I was a pup...but recently I chased a 150# hog into some canegrass on the farm with nothing but my knife (bro had the gun in the truck), didn't really know how big he was until the dogs cornered it in a clump of grass and it started shaking around. I was poking my head in there like an idiot trying to get an angle on his neck and he comes blazing out at me and rips my leg wide open then runs away, if I hadn't moved sideways he would have got me right in the groin and possibly hit my femoral which would have SUCKED...luckily I got away with just a hospital trip and 40odd stitches+staples.

IMG_1743.thumb.jpeg.af10b2fd2772c7b4ad6ead7283f36626.jpeg

• Sad 2

When I decided to leave the Marine Corps...I spent a little to much time with a fellow from Nevada...we tripped on peyote...I was attacked by a horse...but the horse was never there..so I heard.I woke to a penis in my face when I was in Lebanon..not sure which episode would rank higher on my list.

57 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

When I decided to leave the Marine Corps...I spent a little to much time with a fellow from Nevada...we tripped on peyote...I was attacked by a horse...but the horse was never there..so I heard.I woke to a penis in my face when I was in Lebanon..not sure which episode would rank higher on my list.

Hey Pal, wrong thread.  Mandela Effect is down the hall and to the left, through the looking glass!

:P:D

I would say watching my ex give birth to our first. All of the crazy things I did when I was younger had at least had  a sense of control to it. No matter how stupid. It was a looooong labor and I've never been more terrified in my life. Nothing I could do but watch it unfold. It felt like going 15 rounds with Ali AND Frazier. 

36 minutes ago, gomper said:

I would say watching my ex give birth to our first. All of the crazy things I did when I was younger had at least had  a sense of control to it. No matter how stupid. It was a looooong labor and I've never been more terrified in my life. Nothing I could do but watch it unfold. It felt like going 15 rounds with Ali AND Frazier. 

I didn't think that was too scary.  Bloomsday 1998, my wife's water broke 3 weeks early @ Fado pub in Chicago... Now rushing her to hospital from The Loop to NWIndiana was a bit trying... Getting car @ rush hour and protecting my upholstery (trying to be cool about and not offend her) was tricky.

She was in labor till early next morning... When like Winnie the Pooh, my son "was wedged in great tightness"... Probably 25 minute ride with no amnio fluid didn't help? We were faced with choice of turning with forceps or going C-section... Now that choice was scary... Went C-section no doubt.  Had to call off labor, hell for her.

But... Once in the op room... I was at ease.

Now, the doc at the end getting peeved with the nurse counting gauze was a little unsettling.  He keep on demanding 15. She kept demanding 14 before closing wife up.  Until she said: "Oops, one was stuck together, 15!"

I didn't process that until a little while later.  I guess they didn't want to close her up with a gauze pad in her.  <_<

I guess if I was older I would be more nervous.  That was our first.  Being older, being a single father would have scared the **** out of me.  Especially since we have always been never less than +500 miles from closest family. We've always been independent family with no close family and just a few not close friends.  I guess, knowing what was @ stake, would've been scary.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh... Just remembered... You know what is scary:

Colonoscopy/Endoscopy

The good old ass-scope is worse!

Had both in 1994... But turning 50 this year has me on pins & needles.  It's not the Demerol, that's the joy ride...;) IT'S that humongous jug of "butt-sweep" you have to drink.  Last time I was at work...:lol: Thank God on midnights.  I was prepared to answer marine radio and end the call with a big flush... Hey, job related: "Call Water District, tell them we are opening super secret sluice gate #5..." :lol:

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Colonoscopy/Endoscopy

Had both in 1994... But turning 50 this year has me on pins & needles.  It's not the Demerol, that's the joy ride...;) IT'S that humongous jug of "butt-sweep" you have to drink.  Last time I was at work...:lol: Thank God on midnights.  I was prepared to answer marine radio and end the call with a big flush... Hey, job related: "Call Water District, tell them we are opening super secret sluice gate #5..." :lol:

You mix the jug with Gatorade....they should have told you that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/22/2018 at 9:46 PM, PRBills said:

Done alot of scary stupid ****, but one that comes to mind is:

15 years or so ago i used to remove/repair/install stained glass windows in churches. I was 8 or 9 tiers up on scaffolding and couldnt reach the small window at the peak. Instead of setting up another tier for one small window, i decided to set up a small ladder, it was still abit short so on top of scaffolding i stood on the top of a folding ladder barely reaching to remove the window

Were you praying while that was happening?

Spring Break in Acapulco, I was 20 years old.  Total drink fest.  One day me & 2 of my friends decided to rent jet skis.  The drunken idiots that we were we took these jet skis a mile, mile & half off shore.  I could barely see the land.  Well my jet ski stalled & I couldn't get it restarted.  So my friends went back to get help.  I was all alone floating out in the ocean.  I have a great fear of sharks(like who doesn't) have watched way to many Jaws movies.  I was out there for a longtime, I was debating whether I should try to swim back to shore.  About a half hour into my adventure about a 7 or 8 foot hammer head shark swam right in front of my jet ski.  I honestly nearly had a heat attack.  About 40 minutes later 2 Mexicans that my friends got that rented us the boat came by & got the jet ski started again.  I took the jet ski right in & did not go in the ocean for the rest of the vacation.  Scariest hour of my life. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

Spring Break in Acapulco, I was 20 years old.  Total drink fest.  One day me & 2 of my friends decided to rent jet skis.  The drunken idiots that we were we took these jet skis a mile, mile & half off shore.  I could barely see the land.  Well my jet ski stalled & I couldn't get it restarted.  So my friends went back to get help.  I was all alone floating out in the ocean.  I have a great fear of sharks(like who doesn't) have watched way to many Jaws movies.  I was out there for a longtime, I was debating whether I should try to swim back to shore.  About a half hour into my adventure about a 7 or 8 foot hammer head shark swam right in front of my jet ski.  I honestly nearly had a heat attack.  About 40 minutes later 2 Mexicans that my friends got that rented us the boat came by & got the jet ski started again.  I took the jet ski right in & did not go in the ocean for the rest of the vacation.  Scariest hour of my life. 

Wow!  Good old Mexico... Good thing you didn't get gassed in your condo, much rather get eaten by a hammerhead because of a crappy jet ski?

Hope it was the sit-down type water bike kind!  

Some friends... But they were blitzed, they get a pass.

Didn't friends have tow rope under seat... Tow you back... Oh wait, you said it was Mexico, do they even have a coast guard or regulations? <_<

Oh... Watch out for those heat attacks. It can get pretty hot in Mexico. :P

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wow!  Good old Mexico... Good thing you didn't get gassed in your condo, much rather get eaten by a hammerhead because of a crappy jet ski?

Hope it was the sit-down type water bike kind!  

Some friends... But they were blitzed, they get a pass.

Didn't friends have tow rope under seat... Tow you back... Oh wait, you said it was Mexico, do they even have a coast guard or regulations? <_<

Oh... Watch out for those heat attacks. It can get pretty hot in Mexico. :P

Yeah we were 20 years old & drinking tequila shooters all day.  I don't think we had enough sense to look for a tow rope.  Let me ask you a question, what were the odds of me trying to swim back to shore & making it back alive in your expert opinion?  I did have a life jacket on.  I was probably about a mile out or so. 

Look for a job at 55-56 yrs old.

Worked for one company for 35 years.  They went CH11, I could retire, so I did.  But I couldn't really "retire," so the resumes were flying.  Found another job, worked there for another 12 years, and retired @ 68 yrs, with a small pension from the 12 year employer.

Scary time, lost a lot of my earned promised pension benefits but was blessed, and made it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/24/2018 at 11:49 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Colonoscopy/Endoscopy

They have a variety of preps.   My last one was much less followed by a lot of water.  Worked just as well.   Don't have any idea why some doc's make you drink a gallon of that stuff and others don't.

The first time I had one, I drove my self so I was awake for the entire thing.  Very interesting.

• Like (+1) 1