Peter King MMQB - Lot's of good stuff, Colts Trading 6 and a New Beane Q&A

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Jets are going to take Baker, he's going to get angry about McCown / Bridgewater getting first team reps, start partying hard, let the fame get to his head and end up in the XFL.

I really really really want Mayfield !!!!

46 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Beane on the QB’s “I haven’t spent enough time to have an opinion about any of them yet, honestly”. I’m calling BS on this one. 

I think he is telling the truth. The scouts OTOH have probably been going into overtime making certain they know what they are going to do. 

17 minutes ago, JinxedBill1 said:

I like Beane.  Let the draft come to you.

TBH I think they only think Darnold is worth trading up for.

It's what he did in free agency in being patient, prudent and not overpaying for a franchise wannabe QB. AJ McCarron could be the future franchise QB for this team and we won't know until the season starts. Nobody knows. 

I think the Bills will draft a QB this draft just not really sure where and I can only hope they don't overpay. Going by the way they handled free agency I think they will wait to see how things pan out with the first three picks and if someone is there they really like after the Jets pick. I know so many fans want the Bills to move up to #2 and I just don't see it for a QB with warts. 

There is no Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning in this year's draft. Why would this FO even think about three firsts and more for a QB in this year's draft? 

Edited by Nihilarian

2 hours ago, TPS said:

An important point I took from this, this is a damn good draft overall--70 potential starters. The Bills have 5 picks in the top 65, so trading up this year has a greater cost than a "normal" year. If they trade up, They better love the guy because it  could cost them 4 starters at other positions.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

It is an extremely difficult problem. I think that is why Belichick turned to Satan. Damned if he did or damned if he didn't might as well cut a deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

King has interesting stuff in his interview with Beane.   

Most interesting to me is that he decided to completely clean up the salary structure and get positioned the way he thinks they should be.  Result?  Bills currently have $36 million in dead cap, which is almost twice the next highest dead cap in the league, and Beane said when he's done this year he expects it to be closer to $45 million.   

Hughes - $6.8 million dead cap

McCoy - $5 million dead cap

Clay - $9 million dead cap (I think).  

Sounds like Beane tipped his hand.   Someone else is moving out.  

51 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

So beane has only met with each guy for 15 minutes and is being patient. Jets the same and super aggressive already. 

Yeah, it's an interesting comparison in styles.   Based on the draft chart, the Jets overpaid to move up.   They must be very sure about a couple of guys, because they can't be assured that one guy will drop to them.   

Now that we've had a year watching and listening to Beane, it's clear that his overriding principle is maintain the discipline.  It's the same thing we've heard from McDermott, and it's why they like working with each other.   Last season when the Bills were collapsing, McDermott kept saying "it's a process, stay with the process," and things turned out okay.   I mean, I thought there was no way in the world the Bills were going to the playoffs after those three losses, and he's saying "relax, a week at a time, we're not done."

Beane is the same.  He essentially is saying that he works as hard as he can to make every decision the right decision.   It's not about outcomes, it's about the process.  Follow the process and the outcomes take care of themselves.   In other words, he's saying "sure, I want a better quarterback, but I'm not going to overspend.   I'll get the quarterback when the right opportunity presents itself."   It's for the fans, because we want results now, but he's learned that if you just keep making good decisions, eventually it comes together.   

Interesting to watch.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I still don't get why the Colts were so quick to trade that pick considering they could've gotten even more if the Jets and Bills (or the Cardinals/Broncos/Dolphins) could've been involved in a bidding war to move up to that #3 spot as the draft approached.  I give credit to the Jets though as they put any team trying to trade up in the top 5 to draft a quarterback in a tough position.

They can still move down if someone falls there though.  They could end up with Chubb at 6 instead of 3 (getting the guy they wanted), and added 3 2nd round picks.  Or they can move down with someone like Buffalo and net even more stuff. 

They might have had a better offer as things got closer to the draft, but who knows.  Buffalo might pull their trade offer if the guy they want is gone or something.  

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Most interesting to me is that he decided to completely clean up the salary structure and get positioned the way he thinks they should be.  Result?  Bills currently have $36 million in dead cap, which is almost twice the next highest dead cap in the league, and Beane said when he's done this year he expects it to be closer to $45 million.   

Good pickup.Maybe it's the Eric Wood money? 

I still think Hughes could be out, maybe through a trade. But I do hope we keep him. He is just a bit too expensive for what he offers. 

If Clay is cut now its a 9 million dollar dead cap. If its post June 1, its 4.5 this year and 4.5 next year with a 4.5 cap saving this year. I think Clay stays.  

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I still think Hughes could be out, maybe through a trade. But I do hope we keep him. He is just a bit too expensive for what he offers. 

If Clay is cut now its a 9 million dollar dead cap. If its post June 1, its 4.5 this year and 4.5 next year with a 4.5 cap saving this year. I think Clay stays.  

Yeah - that wood injury thing kinda stings extra when you look at his bonus money, and the fact that his 2018 salary is guaranteed for injury.  

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, it's an interesting comparison in styles.   Based on the draft chart, the Jets overpaid to move up.   They must be very sure about a couple of guys, because they can't be assured that one guy will drop to them.   

Now that we've had a year watching and listening to Beane, it's clear that his overriding principle is maintain the discipline.  It's the same thing we've heard from McDermott, and it's why they like working with each other.   Last season when the Bills were collapsing, McDermott kept saying "it's a process, stay with the process," and things turned out okay.   I mean, I thought there was no way in the world the Bills were going to the playoffs after those three losses, and he's saying "relax, a week at a time, we're not done."

Beane is the same.  He essentially is saying that he works as hard as he can to make every decision the right decision.   It's not about outcomes, it's about the process.  Follow the process and the outcomes take care of themselves.   In other words, he's saying "sure, I want a better quarterback, but I'm not going to overspend.   I'll get the quarterback when the right opportunity presents itself."   It's for the fans, because we want results now, but he's learned that if you just keep making good decisions, eventually it comes together.   

Interesting to watch.  

the jets it seems don't have a clear plan.  They did not need to shed wilkersons salary. they have about 42 mil right now with the teddy contract i believe and mo's contract was left 9 mil in dead cap so keeping him another year at about 9 mil more still would have left them with 33 mil or so. They should not have signed teddy and mccown.  Should be mccown and then they have 15 mil to spend on other positions like left tackle or guard to protect the rookie.  Mo makes the defense better also which helps the rookie. They could have had a really great d line and great secondary and now it's an ok line maybe and great secondary. Then have a nice young qb with upside.  I'm confident they screwed this up already. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

the jets it seems don't have a clear plan.  They did not need to shed wilkersons salary. they have about 42 mil right now with the teddy contract i believe and mo's contract was left 9 mil in dead cap so keeping him another year at about 9 mil more still would have left them with 33 mil or so. They should not have signed teddy and mccown.  Should be mccown and then they have 15 mil to spend on other positions like left tackle or guard to protect the rookie.  Mo makes the defense better also which helps the rookie. They could have had a really great d line and great secondary and now it's an ok line maybe and great secondary. Then have a nice young qb with upside.  I'm confident they screwed this up already. 

That's why I think the Jets decisions have Woody Johnson written all over them. McCaggnan is regarded as a pretty smart guy. 

1 hour ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Beane on the QB’s “I haven’t spent enough time to have an opinion about any of them yet, honestly”. I’m calling BS on this one. 

It isn't BS. 

In one sense, of course, he has an opinion on all of them.   He has SOME impression about them, he's SOME information about them. 

But it's completely clear in the context of the press conference (where he said the exact same thing) and the interview, is that what he means is that he hasn't spent enough time to be in position to make an informed decision about which, if any, of these guys he'd want and at what price.

The fact that YOU may think that YOU have enough information to make the decision and therefore Beane must, too, simply means that you don't understand how much information is actually required or that you or your staff have done an enormous amount of research, including interviews with coaches, dozens of hours of film study, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PIZ said:

This would be a reason to hold on to as many picks as possible.  5 picks in the top 70.  We could use 5 starters.

Round 1: 21, 22 (from Kansas City)

Round 2: 53, 56 (from Los Angeles Rams)

Round 3: 65 (from Cleveland), 

LOL Right? Damned if you do damned if you don't...

Although, it is easier to find players at other positions than QB in free agency and even via trade. It sucks to have to do all of this though. Life would have been much simpler if KC fell apart from injuries and such like Houston did (or if we just stunk this year). I wouldn't have a problem sitting sitting at 4 & 12 right now...

32 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Eric Wood money!    That's probably it.   

So it wasn't a slip that revealed that more is coming.  

Thanks.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bryce Petty, Sackenberg, Paying Fitz though.. :wacko: His QB decisions have been bad.

Yeah, not exactly the franchise we should be emulating when it comes to QB...

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It isn't BS. 

In one sense, of course, he has an opinion on all of them.   He has SOME impression about them, he's SOME information about them. 

But it's completely clear in the context of the press conference (where he said the exact same thing) and the interview, is that what he means is that he hasn't spent enough time to be in position to make an informed decision about which, if any, of these guys he'd want and at what price.

The fact that YOU may think that YOU have enough information to make the decision and therefore Beane must, too, simply means that you don't understand how much information is actually required or that you or your staff have done an enormous amount of research, including interviews with coaches, dozens of hours of film study, etc.  

I NEVER claimed to understand anything. I’m just saying that I’m sure Beane has some opinion on the QB’s, no matter how informal they may be. We are in agreement that he has some impression of them. That’s exactly what I meant. It’s all in the semantics of how we interpreted his quote. Admittedly I might be ignorant to the genius intellect required to select a QB. They all know just as much as we do. Sure, they recieve paychecks for their assessments, but it’s all a crapshoot at that position. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That's why I think the Jets decisions have Woody Johnson written all over them. McCaggnan is regarded as a pretty smart guy. 

I know they do to some degree because I read that Johnson mandated that the Jets have scouts at all the top QB prospects games this past year. So they were intent on getting as much information as they possibly could on this upcoming class. 

The article remarks that it was an amazing devotion of resources to have a scout attend each game. Flying people around and all that.

My surprise was that he had to tell them to do that. I hope the Bills did that. But I got the idea that this was considered extraordinary.

What are we talking about though? 50 or 60 games and air fare and hotels and the ticket and you have to pay the scout. Even at 4 thousand dollars a game that is only about 200-250k which is a lot but it is also nothing compared to being right when you pick your qb.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It isn't BS. 

I agree. It's not all about watching highlight film which was Whaley's forte. It's about watching all the film the including the bad with the good. The point about interviewing the player's coaches is very important along with interviewing his teammates and friends to understand what kind of a person he is.

This QB is going to be the face of the franchise for the next decade and they want to know what they're getting themselves into.

Just from reading the scouting reports I don't see why Josh Rosen is in the top five or even Darnold for that matter given the history of USC QB's in the NFL. I simply don't see a QB worthy of trading up to that #2 spot or even in the top five. That's just me though. 

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Baker would be a good fit for the Jets in the tradition of Broadway Joe.  You don't want to draft a shrinking violet in NYC.  I think that's why Eli is a bit of a meh QB in NYC despite the Super Bowl win.  He just doesn't have a big enough personality for that city and those fans.

two Super Bowl wins, reloading for 3

If I were the Colts I would absolutely try to trade down again. They need a lot of talent at a lot of positions. If they trade down they could have a great opportunity this year and next to bring in a ton of talent.