Cover 1:. 5 Reasons Lamar Jackson is the Bills Target

PIZ

VY had legit production, was a winner, a good athlete, and was talented as well. Where is he now? There are numerous athletic QB's who produce at the college level, but it doesn't translate to the Pro's. He will be the latest. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm OK with Jackson, but not in a trade up.  I still have a few questions about him, but they aren't questions I'll ever be able to get the answers to,  Fortunately, in the course of their due diligence, Buffalo should be able to get the answers.  I do think Jackson has a higher upside that Michael Vick (or Tyrod Taylor, for that matter).  Vick was never much more than a one read QB.  If his primary target was covered, Vick's next preference was to take off running.  He was also considerably shorter than Lamar Jackson.  I don't know that Jackson is faster though.  Vick was pretty fast.  I think Jackson has already demonstrated the ability to find and open receiver to a greater degree than either Vick or Taylor.  I think he probably would benefit from time on the bench, however, and if he is the pick, I wouldn't mind seeing AJ McCarron start when the season opens.  If at some point during the season, the coaching staff thinks Lamar can take over, fine.

While talking about that cover1... Let's not forget that the Panthers fired their OC this season in an attempt to bring in an OC who will work with Cam Newton to make him more of a pocket passer. Norv Turner is the Carolina new OC. 

"Rivera repeatedly spoke the last offseason about tailoring an offense that would rely less on Newton's running ability and helping the quarterback transition into a pocket passer. The plan stumbled out of the gate in 2017, thanks in part to Newton's offseason shoulder surgery." 

Russell Wilson is a very mobile QB who moves around in order to allow his receivers to get open so he can throw to them...a QB like him I want! 

Lamar Jackson worked in a very simplistic offense with one or two reads out of the shotgun and when those reads weren't open ...he ran. When he broke from the pocket his completion percentage on the run went from 59% down to 42%.

However, his rawness as a passer makes him a risky gamble. He doesn’t have much experience under center or reading a defense. He has footwork issues that could make him one of the least accurate passers in the league upon entry. There are a lot of things he needs to work on to become an NFL-caliber passer. All of these issues make him one of the least day-one ready prospects among the top five or so. Worst case scenario, if the quarterback thing doesn’t pan out, I don’t think it’s insane to see him make a Terrelle Pryor-esque move to receiver one day.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/1/22/16900712/scouting-the-2018-nfl-draft-lamar-jackson-qb-louisville-new-york-jets

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Would it surprise you if Lamar Jackson turns out to be better than The Big 4? I wouldn’t be.

This kid is special. Needs work but he brings so much to the table.

You need to get your head out of Youboty :thumbsup:............ Sorry, I couldn't resist. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

Cover 1 is connecting more dots than Robert Mueller!! Great article!!

22 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

While talking about that cover1... Let's not forget that the Panthers fired their OC this season in an attempt to bring in an OC who will work with Cam Newton to make him more of a pocket passer. Norv Turner is the Carolina new OC. 

"Rivera repeatedly spoke the last offseason about tailoring an offense that would rely less on Newton's running ability and helping the quarterback transition into a pocket passer. The plan stumbled out of the gate in 2017, thanks in part to Newton's offseason shoulder surgery." 

Russell Wilson is a very mobile QB who moves around in order to allow his receivers to get open so he can throw to them...a QB like him I want! 

Lamar Jackson worked in a very simplistic offense with one or two reads out of the shotgun and when those reads weren't open ...he ran. When he broke from the pocket his completion percentage on the run went from 59% down to 42%.

However, his rawness as a passer makes him a risky gamble. He doesn’t have much experience under center or reading a defense. He has footwork issues that could make him one of the least accurate passers in the league upon entry. There are a lot of things he needs to work on to become an NFL-caliber passer. All of these issues make him one of the least day-one ready prospects among the top five or so. Worst case scenario, if the quarterback thing doesn’t pan out, I don’t think it’s insane to see him make a Terrelle Pryor-esque move to receiver one day.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/1/22/16900712/scouting-the-2018-nfl-draft-lamar-jackson-qb-louisville-new-york-jets

Lamar Jackson had one of the more complex offenses in college. Stop spreading fake news

On 3/18/2018 at 1:44 PM, Nihilarian said:

The Bills just traded away a more accurate, safer with the ball running QB. why on earth would they even be looking at another who needs a few years of development time. 

You’re comparing their skin color.  Not the fact that Lamar Jackson is pretty far ahead of Tyrod athletically and far out produced Tyrods college career.  To me they arent in the same ballpark 

Edited by CaptnCoke11

On 3/18/2018 at 1:40 PM, Fetou said:

Dolphins could take him. I could see Arizona moving up to take him as well.

I would hate if the dolphins got him and bills had to face him 2x a year. Folks calling him run first have no clue 

On 3/18/2018 at 2:52 PM, SouthNYfan said:

We're you dropped on your head as a child?

He is right. Vick was in jail in his prime.  So it’s not debatable. I’d be very ok with him at 12

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I would hate if the dolphins got him and bills had to face him 2x a year. Folks calling him run first have no clue 

He is right. Vick was in jail in his prime.  So it’s not debatable. I’d be very ok with him at 12

Vick was in jail age 27-29

He had arguably his best season as a pro when he went to Philly after his sentence.

I ain't hate Lamar by the way, but to say he's better than Vick in the prime of his career is just absurd.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

He had arguably his best season as a pro when he went to Philly after his sentence.

I ain't hate Lamar by the way, but to say he's better than Vick in the prime of his career is just absurd.

I was joking, a bit, but Lamar already looks like a far better pocket passer than Vick ever was. Shocked if he is faster though...

Vick ran a 4.33...thats faster than spiller. 

• Like (+1) 1

I believe it. Jackson is the most complete QB in the class...why he's not being mentioned with the top 3 or 4 is ludicrous. And I'd be fine with Jackson as the pick.

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2018-03-18 at 1:48 PM, Pete said:

I draft Roquan at 12 and monitor where Mayfield and Jackson slide.  We have plenty of coin to trade up from 22 to say 16.  And it won't cost anywhere as much as 12 to 2

Hmmm.  I am starting to consider this.  Especially since these QBs are all question marks.

8 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Didn't Michael Vick say this himself?

9 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Didn't Michael Vick say this himself?

No.

He said:

""And the only thing that came to my mind was this kid is five times better than I was when I was at Virginia Tech, only because he was going against Florida State. I remember how difficult it was for me to make plays against Florida State. What effort had to be put into getting first downs, scoring touchdowns"

The dude I'm disputing said Lamar was "five times better than Vick in his prime"

That's a big difference than "when I was a Virginia tech"

10 hours ago, the skycap said:

Cover 1 is connecting more dots than Robert Mueller!! Great article!!

Lamar Jackson had one of the more complex offenses in college. Stop spreading fake news

Read the scouting report I posted! 

• Works exclusively under shotgun
  • Was not asked to read progressions much
  • Didn’t look past first read very often
  • Very high rate of snaps were option runs

What's particularly scary is this kid ran a lot and when he did run his throw percentage went from 59.15 down to 42%. Russell Wilson, he is not! 

Louisville runs a spread offense, one or two reads and run. There is a world of difference between that and what most NFL teams run.