QB Class of '83 for those who may have forgotten

The Bill has 12 and 14 and went with Hunter the TE at 12 cause they wanted either Kelly or Marino.  It is so strange to consider what would happen if Marino had gone to the Bills.  But the Bills brass had it right, it is also interesting that Obrien and Easen when between Kelly and Marino.

But then again, I think a lot more work goes into rating these guys today, there could be a Marino at 27 but also maybe not.

23 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

There were rumors being tossed around that Marino was a coke head.  There's no way he would have gotten past the second pick based on his talent.   The only reason Kelly dropped was his shoulder injury.

The headscratcher for me was always Blackledge.   Teams fell in love with his measurables but he was never a great QB.

Marino also had a lousy senior year throwing for 17 TDS & 23 INTS compared to his junior year where he threw for 33 TDS.  That had more to do with him dropping in the draft then the rumors of him doing drugs.  His Pitt team which was supposed to compete for a national championship his senior year although I believe they went 9-3 was considered a disappointment. 

Kelly's stats sucked in college.  His junior year where he played a full season he only threw for 13 TDs & also threw 13 INTs.  He must of been viewed as having all the tangibles to be a big league QB because he certainly wasn't drafted because of his stats or play on the field.

13 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Marino also had a lousy senior year throwing for 17 TDS & 23 INTS compared to his junior year where he threw for 33 TDS.  That had more to do with him dropping in the draft then the rumors of him doing drugs.  His Pitt team which was supposed to compete for a national championship his senior year although I believe they went 9-3 was considered a disappointment. 

Kelly's stats sucked in college.  His junior year where he played a full season he only threw for 13 TDs & also threw 13 INTs.  He must of been viewed as having all the tangibles to be a big league QB because he certainly wasn't drafted because of his stats or play on the field.

The U was not a national story during Jim's years, they have revised the history to pretend otherwise.

Although a college football addict starting around 1973 I had never heard of Miami (Fla) until the year Kosar upset Nebraska in the Orange Bowl. Miami of Ohio was a bigger football power.

Jim was also going to the USFL if it was going to be worth his while.

Edited by row_33

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

The U was not a national story during Jim's years, they have revised the history to pretend otherwise.

Although a college football addict starting around 1973 I had never heard of Miami (Fla) until the year Kosar upset Nebraska in the Orange Bowl. Miami of Ohio was a bigger football power.

Jim was also going to the USFL if it was going to be worth his while.

Agreed.  I think the U was actually considering dropping football all together sometimes in the 70's.

The best thing for Kelly was going to the USFL for 2 years.  That taught him how to be a passer & a true gunslinger.  What is surprising is hearing stories of Kelly's days in the USFL(a tad bit before my time) it sounded like he could get anything he wanted done on the football field for those 2 years with the Gamblers.  I have a hall of fame plaque down in my basement of Kelly with his signature & it lists all of his stats.  Although he threw for a ton of yards/tds in those two years, he only completed like 49% of his passes.  I thought it would be much higher than that. 

9 hours ago, Gordio said:

Agreed.  I think the U was actually considering dropping football all together sometimes in the 70's.

The best thing for Kelly was going to the USFL for 2 years.  That taught him how to be a passer & a true gunslinger.  What is surprising is hearing stories of Kelly's days in the USFL(a tad bit before my time) it sounded like he could get anything he wanted done on the football field for those 2 years with the Gamblers.  I have a hall of fame plaque down in my basement of Kelly with his signature & it lists all of his stats.  Although he threw for a ton of yards/tds in those two years, he only completed like 49% of his passes.  I thought it would be much higher than that. 

63% of his passes.

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=2187

9 hours ago, Gordio said:

The coke problem was tossed around as a reason for his lousy senior year.  Marino's agent confirmed having heard them and Chuck Noll essentially said the Steelers passed on Marino because of them.  There wasn't any question about his football ability or toughness.  Everyone knew he had that release and would take shots to pass the ball.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2519&dat=19920512&id=aKtdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=cV0NAAAAIBAJ&pg=5040,1699158&hl=en

35 year old draft history is useless.

Heck, 10 year old draft history is basically useless.

The league has changed dramatically in regards to the passing, including what is looked for in a QB, what they are capable of.

This, as well as scouting techniques, high def game tape, advanced metrics, etc.

Seriously, nobody with half a brain gives a crap about the '83 draft in regards to how guys were drafted.

On 3/18/2018 at 8:34 AM, Norwood for Wall of Fame said:

The QB class of 1983 was legendary, with 6 quarterbacks taken in the first round.  Three of those first rounders are in the Hall of Fame.  But the interesting thing is the order that they were taken:

1. John Elway

7. Todd Blackledge

14. Jim Kelly

15. Tony Eason

24. Ken O'Brien

27. Dan Marino

Imagine how upset the Miami fans must have been to settle for Dan Marino at #27.  Clearly the Chiefs, Pats and Jets thought that they made better choices.  And the Dolphins' message board (if one had existed back then) or the mock draft gurus (if there was such a thing) would have been talking about how Miami needs to trade up to get their franchise guy.

Two morals to this story:

1. Make sure you don't take a Todd Blackledge instead of a Hall of Famer

2. Even Hall of Famers don't necessarily win Super Bowls.  Of this group, only Elway won a SB and not until 1997, and not until he had lost 3 of them. Collectively they lost 9 of them.

So everyone, R-E-L-A-X

We should have won two of those Superbowls and we haven't done Jack Squat since.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:06 PM, Alaska Darin said:

63% of his passes.

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=2187

The coke problem was tossed around as a reason for his lousy senior year.  Marino's agent confirmed having heard them and Chuck Noll essentially said the Steelers passed on Marino because of them.  There wasn't any question about his football ability or toughness.  Everyone knew he had that release and would take shots to pass the ball.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2519&dat=19920512&id=aKtdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=cV0NAAAAIBAJ&pg=5040,1699158&hl=en

Hm that is weird.  I have a plaque downstairs that says 48%.  I thought that was really low because I remember hearing stories how he would throw it all over the field in the USFL.(I was only 8 at the time & don't really remember it.).  I wondered if the HOF plaque I have is a misprint, because like I said I thought it seemed really low. 

On 3/18/2018 at 9:28 AM, BuffaloBill said:

Looking back it is hard to believe that Marino was taken last.  Kelly had a better surrounding cast.  Marino was the better QB.  In the end the order really should have been Elway, Marino, Kelly.  Great post because history is an interesting thing.

No it is not at all “hard to believe that Marino was taken last.”  Sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves. 

History does indeed matter. The USFL was at war with the NFL at that time and competed heavily with the cheaper NFL owners for talent. 

A few things are important to note. 

1. It was the 80’s and it “snowed” a lot in that era. :ph34r: 

2. NFL owners were all pretty much cheap and afraid of bidding wars with the reckless spending owners of the USFL who to their credit did sign some great talent: Herschel Walker, Jim Kelly, Reggie White... Many star players followed the money and turned their backs on the skinflints. Marino was viewed in that light. Draft him and you’ve  a wasted your Round 1 pick. 

3. The Dolphins’ success at that time and it’s location was a draw for Marino. And yes, Virginia. It snows in Miami - year round. :ph34r: 

4. The USFL’s LA Express franchise had the #1 pick in the USFL 1983 Draft. They drafted... Dan Marino. 

The LA Express then made Steve Young the highest paid football player in 1984 with a $40 million contract. At the time it was even more outlandish than Joe Willie Namath’s rookie contract of $300,000 a year. :o

That’s why it’s not hard to believe that Marino wasn’t picked by other teams in need. You have to see the bigger picture. History does indeed matter. 

1. John Elway - Baltimore Colts

7. Todd Blackledge - KC Chiefs

14. Jim Kelly - The Bills

15. Tony Eason - NewenGland

24. Ken O'Brien - The JESTS

27. Dan Marino -The Fins

On 3/18/2018 at 6:25 AM, 1billsfan said:

More like...

Baker Mayfield = Colt McCoy
Josh Rosen = Sam Bradford
Lamar Jackson = DeShaun Watson
Sam Darnold = Tony Romo
Josh Allen = Kyle Boller

IMO, this 2018 class is no where near either the 1983 or 2004 QB draft classes. The expectations of this 2018 QB class never lived up to it's billing. If it did, then the Giants would be drafting a QB (which they won't be doing). 

And you may very well be proven correct. I'd say the first 3 are pretty good comparisons (kind of low end for Mayfield, high end for Jackson, but still ... food for thought). The last two?  Well, maybe way high end for Darnold, way low end for Allen. I've heard Allen called "Bortles right now (as in the rookie Bortles), potential to be Flacco" and I think that's pretty good.