Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Why would they give up 2019 picks when they are doubled up on picks in this draft?

Maybe because they have a lot more cap space in '19 to acquire players and they want to use premium picks now.  Who knows since it's not a real scenario with actual teams involved. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If not now then when?

Obviously in a year when we don’t have the extra picks to invest while still retaining enough to conduct a traditional draft. Duh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If not now then when?

In a year where there's only 1 or 2 good QBs, I think it makes sense. In a year where, for example, I think the gap between QB#1 and QB#5 is non-existent, it doesn't.

Just now, DCOrange said:

In a year where there's only 1 or 2 good QBs, I think it makes sense. In a year where, for example, I think the gap between QB#1 and QB#5 is non-existent, it doesn't.

If in fact that is what they believe. Based on what's out there, they believe a move up into the top five is worth it and I do as well. 

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

but it doesn't matter what YOU think, it matters what our talent evaluators think...

and in a year where there is only 1 or 2 good QBs, the cost to move up to take them will be sky high, in a year with many QBs (your words) the price comes down...simple supply and demand. And we have the capital NOW to do it without fore fitting an entire draft or future drafts...makes sooooo much sense to do it now 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If in fact that is what they believe. Based on what's out there, they believe a move up into the top five is worth it and I do as well. 

Yeah, obviously I would hope that if they trade up into the top 4, it's because they disagree with the way draft pundits have graded the QBs this year and that they believe _____ is easily a better option than the #4 or 5 QB.

Edit: As I said in my original comment, I don't personally believe a trade up that high is wise this year so obviously that's based on how I personally feel about the QBs. I'd much rather invest one or two picks in Lamar or Mayfield or Rosen than investing 4 or 5 of them in Darnold. I'm not saying that they should pass on QB this year and trade up in a future year instead. I'm saying that IMO, Lamar/Mayfield/Rosen are on par, if not better than Darnold, so why would I want to spend two or three times as much capital on Darnold?

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Rest assured that, contrary to the talking head pundits, the people that actually get paid by teams to make these evaluations can clearly delineate gaps among the QB prospects.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

When there is only 1 good QB you arent trading up for him. No one but the Colts had a shot at Luck. No one but the Panthers had a shot at Newton.

The only way you can make that work is to be 2-14 the year before (so you are wishing for the Bills to lose from now on), or hope that the team at #1 overall is making a repeat appearance there and already has a QB. But that is not likely.

If there are 2 QBs, you'll have to trade up to #2, and that is going to cost you just as much as it does now, but you'll be using all future picks and selling out your franchise instead of using the picks we acquired.

Your scenario doesnt make sense.

It's just wishful thinking that isnt based in reality.

There has never been, and there will never be, a better time than right now.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 6

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Schaffer just said on NFL live that the Giants haven't had ANY meaningful discussions about trading the 2nd overall pick. :angry:

Poker face.