If you went to college

BillsNYC

I was one semester away from getting my associates in electronics and web programing from NC State. I took a few years off before moving up here and going back to school. Right now I'm roughly 2 semesters (1 if I really crammed) from graduating from Utica, with a bachelor degree in economic crime with a concentration in computer forensics. I plan on taking the LSAT in June and exploring that option later on.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indiana University of Pennsylvania... IUP

same as Chris Villarrial, Tom Donahoe, and Tom Modrak.... (mentioned before I was there during Villarrial's senior year)

270890[/snapback]

and Jim Haslett

Me - Daemen College 1983. Was accepted at Ohio St. and couldn't afford it. :lol:

York College of PA 91-92

Various and sundry schools after that. About 3 credits from my Associate's in Education.

One day I'll finish, in no rush.

270962[/snapback]

Undergrad: University Of Louisville

Grad: University Of Kentucky

There's a few pretty good schools for that in PA, Steve.  You should go for it.

270971[/snapback]

Penn Culinary is supposed to be one of the best in the country. I have the business degrees. I would love to do that. Maybe one day...

I'd love to be in the position where I could go back and finish my degree. Then, I could go get a job teaching and maybe even get to coach football.

It'd be much easier to do it before babies arrive!

University of NSW (Sydney, Australia). BSc Economics

And I'm not telling what year!!

When I went there it was called New Hampshire College. Recently they've changed the name to Southern New Hampshire University. I always feel like I have to explain to people that with a name like that NO I didn't major in NASCAR.

Is it something you can do part time? I need to find out what I need to do to get my Math degree. I'm sure I've lost tons of credits and probably have to start basically at the beginning again. That sucks.

It could be worse. My wife stopped 7 credits short of graduating. She had to, because of work.

Is it something you can do part time?  I need to find out what I need to do to get my Math degree.  I'm sure I've lost tons of credits and probably have to start basically at the beginning again.  That sucks. 

It could be worse.  My wife stopped 7 credits short of graduating.  She had to, because of work.

270998[/snapback]

Yeah, going back is tough. I was thinking about going back for my masters degree in Business. I realize now I should have just kept going. Once you stop its so tough. It just seems to me that you have a pretty solid goal in mind. Besides teaching it seems like coaching football is what you were meant to do. Taking a few classes a week, and before you know it, the credits will start to add up.

Penn Culinary is supposed to be one of the best in the country. I have the business degrees. I would love to do that. Maybe one day...

270984[/snapback]

Screw doing it "one day." You know what you really want to do with your life something a lot of people don't. If you can afford to go back to school, I say do it ASAP.

Is it something you can do part time?  I need to find out what I need to do to get my Math degree.

270998[/snapback]

If it's what you want to do, the first two steps are the ones everyone fears: identify barriers and eliminate barriers. Do that, and you're 90% there. And if you think that's oversimplified, you've just identified your first barrier.

If it's what you want to do, the first two steps are the ones everyone fears: identify barriers and eliminate barriers. Do that, and you're 90% there. And if you think that's oversimplified, you've just identified your first barrier.

271017[/snapback]

Yeah, I know the barriers all right. Its the eliminating them that's tough. But please, I don't want this to turn into (rhymes with MJBlue) thread. I know what I want, once I get over the barrier you were referring to, I'll do it.

Yeah, going back is tough. I was thinking about going back for my masters degree in Business. I realize now I should have just kept going. Once you stop its so tough. It just seems to me that you have a pretty solid goal in mind. Besides teaching it seems like coaching football is what you were meant to do. Taking a few classes a week, and before you know it, the credits will start to add up.

271010[/snapback]

I wish. Since buying the house and all, there's always something that keeps me from putting aside any funds to do that. Last year, we bought a new sectional sofa w/our tax refund. This year, we used it (and other $$) to get a vinyl fence for the backyard. So, I won't even see the refund check, other than to kiss it goodbye, when we get it this year. I really do want to get my degree and start teaching and hopefully coaching. Teaching is something that comes pretty naturally to me. Once I'm done, I hope to be an Algebra teacher somewhere. Algebra was always the Math class that was easiest for me and I'm sure I could teach it so that it won't be so intimidating for others. As for coaching, I've wanted to do that ever since I was a kid. Maybe some day.

I wish.  Since buying the house and all, there's always something that keeps me from putting aside any funds to do that.  Last year, we bought a new sectional sofa w/our tax refund.  This year, we used it (and other $$) to get a vinyl fence for the backyard.  So, I won't even see the refund check, other than to kiss it goodbye, when we get it this year.  I really do want to get my degree and start teaching and hopefully coaching.  Teaching is something that comes pretty naturally to me.  Once I'm done, I hope to be an Algebra teacher somewhere.  Algebra was always the Math class that was easiest for me and I'm sure I could teach it so that it won't be so intimidating for others.  As for coaching, I've wanted to do that ever since I was a kid.  Maybe some day.

271033[/snapback]

Well, right now, paying back student loans is basically second nature for me :blink: You're a home owner, I'm sure you could get a student load at least to go to a community college to start getting back the general studies classes you will need.

I wish.  Since buying the house and all, there's always something that keeps me from putting aside any funds to do that.  Last year, we bought a new sectional sofa w/our tax refund.  This year, we used it (and other $$) to get a vinyl fence for the backyard.  So, I won't even see the refund check, other than to kiss it goodbye, when we get it this year.  I really do want to get my degree and start teaching and hopefully coaching.  Teaching is something that comes pretty naturally to me.  Once I'm done, I hope to be an Algebra teacher somewhere.  Algebra was always the Math class that was easiest for me and I'm sure I could teach it so that it won't be so intimidating for others.  As for coaching, I've wanted to do that ever since I was a kid.  Maybe some day.

271033[/snapback]

It all comes down to priorities, sir. If you want the fence more than you want to be a teacher, than that's okay and that's what you get. But if you want to teach more than you want the fence, then the question becomes 'how badly do you need the fence?" The house is great because it will remain your most reliable investment. What about a home equity line of credit? Rates are low. Banks are practically begging people to take their money. It's a cliche...but if there is a will, there will always be a way.

unless you want to be an exec. chef too

271053[/snapback]

That's exactly what I would want to do.

Right now, I feel I have enough business knowledge to think about opening a restaurant if i wanted to (with many much needed loans). But being a chef (despite terribly long hours) seems like just about the coolest job in the world.

It all comes down to priorities, sir. If you want the fence more than you want to be a teacher, than that's okay and that's what you get. But if you want to teach more than you want the fence, then the question becomes 'how badly do you need the fence?" The house is great because it will remain your most reliable investment. What about a home equity line of credit? Rates are low. Banks are practically begging people to take their money. It's a cliche...but if there is a will, there will always be a way.

271051[/snapback]

You're right. It does come down to priorities. Right now, what I want has to take a back seat to what we NEED. Our dog needs to have running around room, so we got the fence. We needed a new sofa, so we got one last year. We still need a bed (we sleep on a full sized bed), so that's next. When I go down the list of priorities, those things are ahead of me getting my degree. I'm sure it will happen for me, at some point. Like one of my former high school teachers told me when I did my classroom observations, "you can always go back and teach".

Is it something you can do part time?  I need to find out what I need to do to get my Math degree.  I'm sure I've lost tons of credits and probably have to start basically at the beginning again.  That sucks. 

It could be worse.  My wife stopped 7 credits short of graduating.  She had to, because of work.

270998[/snapback]

My wife finished up 3 courses to get her degree about 7 years after she would have graduated. They were basic courses, she was able to transfer two of them in. Contacting the school is the first step...they will work with you. :blink:

My wife finished up 3 courses to get her degree about 7 years after she would have graduated.  They were basic courses, she was able to transfer two of them in.  Contacting  the school is the first step...they will work with you. :blink:

271059[/snapback]

I've been telling her for years that she needs to contact Shippensburg to see where she's at in terms of her degree. Before, she had to stop because of travel (she lived in the Shippensburg area, but worked in Harrisburg, which is about 45 minutes away), but now, maybe she can find a place where her credits will transfer and she can earn the ones she needs for the degree.

You're right.  It does come down to priorities.  Right now, what I want has to back seat to what we NEED.  Our dog needs to have running around room, so we got the fence.  We needed a new sofa, so we got one last year.  We still need a bed (we sleep on a full sized bed), so that's next.  When I go down the list of priorities, those things are ahead of me getting my degree.  I'm sure it will happen for me, at some point.  Like one of my former high school teachers told me when I did my classroom observations, "you can always go back and teach".

271058[/snapback]

I don't know if this has any bearing on your situation, but here in Georgia they have recently passed legislation that anyone with a four year degree is eligible to be a teacher. All you have to do is pass a certification exam, I believe.

That's exactly what I would want to do.

Right now, I feel I have enough business knowledge to think about opening a restaurant if i wanted to (with many much needed loans). But being a chef (despite terribly long hours) seems like just about the coolest job in the world.

271055[/snapback]

Better rethink that.

Every Chef will tell you that the work is long, hot and highly underpaid.

The guys you see on TV are the top .00000001% and extremely talented. Most chefs toil in obscurity.