The Colts' #3 Pick is Very Much in Play - Acquired by the NYJ

I actually have a tough time imagining the Giants not even considering a QB at #2 after last year... It's as if nobody thinks it's even a slight possibility they want a high pick to sit behind Eli for a year. Eli is old and didn't look good last year, all coaching issues considered.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

If Allen is the pick, it's a fireable offense.  Full stop.

Are you just trolling or what?

2 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

I actually have a tough time imagining the Giants not even considering a QB at #2 after last year... It's as if nobody thinks it's even a slight possibility they want a high pick to sit behind Eli for a year. Eli is old and didn't look good last year, all coaching issues considered.

Are you just trolling or what?

No, quite serious.  Allen will need at LEAST a year on the bench to learn how to read an NFL-caliber defense that's just slightly better than what he faced when going against Texas State and Gardiner-Webb.

With all of these moves, the pick HAS to be either Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield, to justify them.

On 3/9/2018 at 2:53 PM, DallasMac said:

I'll take any of the top 4.  Just get a darn Qb please

I'll pass.

I see 2011, Jake Locker. Gabbert and Ponder. Obviously Luck was the first pick but the world knew he'd be special.

I just don't share this mentality, essentially getting a QB just to get one , especially with this group .

Use the draft capital to build this team, get a dominant QB of the Defense in the draft, get a Bradford,Foles, Keenum, etc for the O.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

No, quite serious.  Allen will need at LEAST a year on the bench to learn how to read an NFL-caliber defense that's just slightly better than what he faced when going against Texas State and Gardiner-Webb.

With all of these moves, the pick HAS to be either Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield, to justify them.

In that case I agree. The only caveat being, if for some crazy reason they can't move up, Allen at #12 would be more than acceptable.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Don't be bagging on my Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs. My son was the Tight ends coach there for  that season !!!

10 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

In that case I agree. The only caveat being, if for some crazy reason they can't move up, Allen at #12 would be more than acceptable.

It makes no sense to take Allen anywhere in the 1st round. We could have just taken Mahomes last year at 10 if we wanted that style of QB. And as much as I hated Mahomes as a prospect he was well ahead of where Allen is now. Trading down from Mahomes only to take a lesser version of the same player the following year would be a disgustingly bad move and I have to think Beane is smarter than that.

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I'll pass.

I see 2011, Jake Locker. Gabbert and Ponder. Obviously Luck was the first pick but the world knew he'd be special.

I just don't share this mentality, essentially getting a QB just to get one , especially with this group .

Use the draft capital to build this team, get a dominant QB of the Defense in the draft, get a Bradford,Foles, Keenum, etc for the O.

Gabbert was the year before with Cam Newton wasn't he?  As far as Locker and Ponder I didn't like them at all.  I see totally different qbs in the top 4 this year with Allen being a bit of a project but with really high upside.  We've tried the whole draft bpa and bring in a serviceable vet.  It got us one playoff appearance in 20 years.

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It makes no sense to take Allen anywhere in the 1st round. We could have just taken Mahomes last year at 10 if we wanted that style of QB. And as much as I hated Mahomes as a prospect he was well ahead of where Allen is now. Trading down from Mahomes only to take a lesser version of the same player the following year would be a disgustingly bad move and I have to think Beane is smarter than that.

I should have said this was also under the assumption that Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield are already gone. 

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It makes no sense to take Allen anywhere in the 1st round. 

Then why is there serious talk that he will be the first overall pick or, at worst, fourth off the board?   I know you’re only expressing your opinion, but a lot of NFL scouts apparently disagree strongly.  Maybe college completion percentage isn’t a great predictor if NFL success; it it were, Kellen Moore would be an all-pro by now.  And EJ Manuel wouldn’t suck.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DallasMac said:

Gabbert was the year before with Cam Newton wasn't he?  As far as Locker and Ponder I didn't like them at all.  I see totally different qbs in the top 4 this year with Allen being a bit of a project but with really high upside.  We've tried the whole draft bpa and bring in a serviceable vet.  It got us one playoff appearance in 20 years.

No Gabbert was 2011, the 10th pick, and it was with Cam , sorry, I mixed up Cam and Luck..

Gabbert, Locker and Ponder were all viewed as franchise potential qbs , similarly to these current qbs.

Let's look at 2012. The Suck for Luck Colts snatch him at 1. Followed by RG3 at 2, Tannehil at 8 and Weeden at 22.

Two of those guys are out of the league. Tannehill is basically equivalent to Tyrod and Luck is a stud, like everyone knew he would..

That's just how I view this crop of QBs, feel 1 might be a stud , 1 might be serviceable, possibly a late round surprise and the rest busts.

I'd keep all draft capital.If they are high on a particular QB then pull the trigger at 12 or 22, but don't give up picks, add 5 top 60 prospects to this roster and build a TEAM that CONSISTENTLY WINS.

Longevity and consistentcy are Something Beane consistently brings up... This is the draft to collect a ton of talent and winners and keep establishing a team identity .

53 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

No Gabbert was 2011, the 10th pick, and it was with Cam , sorry, I mixed up Cam and Luck..

Gabbert, Locker and Ponder were all viewed as franchise potential qbs , similarly to these current qbs.

Let's look at 2012. The Suck for Luck Colts snatch him at 1. Followed by RG3 at 2, Tannehil at 8 and Weeden at 22.

Two of those guys are out of the league. Tannehill is basically equivalent to Tyrod and Luck is a stud, like everyone knew he would..

That's just how I view this crop of QBs, feel 1 might be a stud , 1 might be serviceable, possibly a late round surprise and the rest busts.

I'd keep all draft capital.If they are high on a particular QB then pull the trigger at 12 or 22, but don't give up picks, add 5 top 60 prospects to this roster and build a TEAM that CONSISTENTLY WINS.

Longevity and consistentcy are Something Beane consistently brings up... This is the draft to collect a ton of talent and winners and keep establishing a team identity .

I definitely understand where you're coming from and respect your opinion.  I guess for me it's because of all the qbs you listed I maybe liked 3 or 4.  I thought Gabbert was going to be better, I liked RG3, and I liked Geno coming out too.  I wanted Trubisky and Watson last year and this year I feel that the top 4 guys can be franchise qbs.  We've just been doing this whole build a strong roster thing for a while now.  It seems that the same thing keeps happening.  Coach comes in wants to change the system so we draft guys to fit that system.  Then the coach doesn't get a franchise qb and we rely on qbs like Fitz, Orton, and Tyrod to get us to the playoffs.   Just feel like its time to try something different and I think that's exactly what they are going to do.

10 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

I definitely understand where you're coming from and respect your opinion.  I guess for me it's because of all the qbs you listed I maybe liked 3 or 4.  I thought Gabbert was going to be better, I liked RG3, and I liked Geno coming out too.  I wanted Trubisky and Watson last year and this year I feel that the top 4 guys can be franchise qbs.  We've just been doing this whole build a strong roster thing for a while now.  It seems that the same thing keeps happening.  Coach comes in wants to change the system so we draft guys to fit that system.  Then the coach doesn't get a franchise qb and we rely on qbs like Fitz, Orton, and Tyrod to get us to the playoffs.   Just feel like its time to try something different and I think that's exactly what they are going to do.

RG3's career was ruined by Mike Shanahan playing him through multiple leg injuries.  He was never the same after that playoff game, which if I recall, he shouldn't have played in to begin with....

2 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

RG3's career was ruined by Mike Shanahan playing him through multiple leg injuries.  He was never the same after that playoff game, which if I recall, he shouldn't have played in to begin with....

I agree completely.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/9/2018 at 2:54 PM, dollars 2 donuts said:

Enough already.  We need one of these guys.  I'll live with Rudolph and Jackson, but I would prefer to thrive with the hire tier guys.

Just say no to Jackson. Watching him the past two years while exciting, it was often maddening as well. Accuracy issues and lack of zip on this throws at the combine should be telling to all.  

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Ive been thinking about that quite a bit recently, when weighing the merits of trading up vs using all the picks to build the team. The chance to add a bunch of talent through this draft is enticing, but I keep coming back to 1 thought...

Which move would make the team a true contender for the next decade? 

Say we hit on the draft picks and build a strong team that's able to compete with a Tyrod caliber QB - they're able to ride a great defense and some big playmakers on offense...

How long are we actually able to keep that team together in this age of the salary cap and big spending in free agency? 4 years maybe? Then everyone will want to get paid and we will start potentially losing many of those quality players. 

Where as if we hit hit on a true franchise QB who can elevate the play of those around him, we could be a contender year in and out for a long time and that QB could hide a lot of holes that would otherwise need to be filled.