#1 WR vs 1st round QB

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Would you rather have AJ Green or Andy Dalton?

Big Ben or Antonio Brown?

Matt Ryan or Julio Jones?

Odell or Eli?

Mike Evans or Winston?

Tyreek Hill or Alex Smith?

Michael Thomas or Drew Brees?

have the last three years taught you nothing? you need a QB who can throw to the receivers. if you don't, having even the best receiver in the game is meaningless.

Edited by Foxx

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

These if we are talking now and today. But if age was not a factor Ben and Eli all day. 

I was talking today but I don’t disagree (although I think Antonio Brown is the best player in football). 

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

have the last three years taught you nothing? you need a QB who can throw to the receivers. if you don't, having even the best receiver in the game is meaningless.

Not that I want to go down this rabbit hole again but that’s just not true. In the last 5 years Josh Gordon and Deandre Hopkins have each had 1500 yard seasons with AWFUL QB play. A good QB helps a good WR (and the same the other way) but it isn’t a necessity.

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

For me, I take the WR every time except Brees.  Everyone of those wideouts can take the top off the defense(except MT) and 6 of those will win 50/50 balls.  The Bills offense lacked both last season.  Give Tyrod a true #1 and our offense would be much better

Eli and Big Ben have won 4 SB's.............none since Odell and Brown became important targets for them(Brown was a reserve on the last Steelers champion).

i don't disagree that weapons would make Tyrod look MUCH better...........but he's not a franchise QB............and the reality is that the well of freak talent WR's dried up with Sammy's class so it's........well.........we most likely won't be getting one.     

CB classes have been better than WR classes recently.    Which may be a good enough reason in itself to go to extreme lengths to find the next Brady/Brees/Rodgers.........a guy who can make bad WR matchups look favorable with great passing.:lol:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Sure.  It taught me that is cost the Eagles the 8th overall pick, a 3rd, 4th, 2018 1st, and 2019 2 to move up 6 spots to draft Wentz.

It taught me the Bears traded the #3 pick, 3rd, 4th and 2018 3rd to move up one spot to #2 for Trubisky.

It taught me the Rams traded the 15th pick, two 2nds, a 3rd, 2017 first and third for #1 Goff.

Just like Beane, I like draft picks.  That is an awful lot of compensation to move up.  You better not miss.  Otherwise you set your team back 5 years or so.  And even if you get lucky and draft a good one, you better hope he doesn't get injured.  Not to mention your salary cap

AJ Green is somebody that I was sure was going to be an injury bust based on how skinny he looked in college.

I remember saying, unless that dude packs on 20 lbs of muscle he's toast in the NFL.   Meanwhile, he stayed skinny and basically torched the entire league for 5 years with above average durability.

Also responsible for McD and Frasier's biggest blunder of the year, allowing him single covered with no deep safety help out wide.   Easiest 70 yard TD I've ever seen and that was against TreD who's pretty special himself.   Put us in a hole we never came out of in that otherwise winnable game.

22 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was talking today but I don’t disagree (although I think Antonio Brown is the best player in football). 

Not that I want to go down this rabbit hole again but that’s just not true. In the last 5 years Josh Gordon and Deandre Hopkins have each had 1500 yard seasons with AWFUL QB play. A good QB helps a good WR (and the same the other way) but it isn’t a necessity.

if anything, this must say something about our qb, no?

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sure.  It taught me that is cost the Eagles the 8th overall pick, a 3rd, 4th, 2018 1st, and 2019 2 to move up 6 spots to draft Wentz.

It taught me the Bears traded the #3 pick, 3rd, 4th and 2018 3rd to move up one spot to #2 for Trubisky.

It taught me the Rams traded the 15th pick, two 2nds, a 3rd, 2017 first and third for #1 Goff.

Just like Beane, I like draft picks.  That is an awful lot of compensation to move up.  You better not miss.  Otherwise you set your team back 5 years or so.  And even if you get lucky and draft a good one, you better hope he doesn't get injured.  Not to mention your salary cap

well, i dunno. it didn't seem to set the Eagles back 5 years. in fact, they just won the Superbowl 2 years after doing what you say is not worth doing. the Rams are definately on the upswing. the Bears well they have not been competent for as long as we have not been so there isnt anything else to say there.

Edited by Foxx

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

if anything, this must say something about our qb, no?

I would say that it has a lot more to do with the OC (who is no longer here). The WR production from the Bills was appalling last year. The whole offense was designed to play within 10 yards of the LOS. That’s not a recipe for high yardage totals. Gordon did his damage down the field. Thompson led the Bills receivers in yards and not surprisingly had the highest yards per reception (15.9). You need to make big plays in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would say that it has a lot more to do with the OC (who is no longer here). The WR production from the Bills was appalling last year. The whole offense was designed to play within 10 yards of the LOS. That’s not a recipe for high yardage totals. Gordon did his damage down the field. Thompson led the Bills receivers in yards and not surprisingly had the highest yards per reception (15.9). You need to make big plays in the NFL. 

so... thats what? 3 OC's fault that our QB couldn't throw the ball to his receivers? 

gotcha.

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, just ask the Redskins. They have had NO franchise QB's since they missed on RG3.  Zero.  Not a one.  Set back for at least 6 years, maybe even 10.  All because they have no franchise QB level player.  RG3 is the reason they haven't even came close to the playoffs since 2012. 

Edited by jmc12290

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

so... thats what? 3 OC's fault that our QB couldn't throw the ball to his receivers? 

gotcha.

No, the receivers were okay prior to last year. Watkins led the league the 2nd half of 2015.

Hogan had 34 catches for 439 this year. He had 36 for 450 in his last year with the Bills. He had the exact same amount of targets. He produced pretty much the same on a per target basis with Tyrod and Brady.

Woods had 56 catches for 781 this year on 85 targets. He had 51 catches for 613 on 76 targets the year before. His yards per catch went up but catch percentage down (that’s because he made more big plays). 

Watkins had a higher yards per reception in 2015 & 2016 than 2017. He’s about to sign a giant deal.

Goodwin is a bit of an outlier but his targets went from 68 to 105. He went from 14.9 yards a catch to 17.2. 

Now take last year and compare it to those guys. One thing was different and his nickname was Rico.

14 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

A year or so ago, my fear was that NE would nab him.

This still scares me

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No, the receivers were okay prior to last year. Watkins led the league the 2nd half of 2015.

Hogan had 34 catches for 439 this year. He had 36 for 450 in his last year with the Bills. He had the exact same amount of targets. He produced pretty much the same on a per target basis with Tyrod and Brady.

Woods had 56 catches for 781 this year on 85 targets. He had 51 catches for 613 on 76 targets the year before. His yards per catch went up but catch percentage down (that’s because he made more big plays). 

Watkins had a higher yards per reception in 2015 & 2016 than 2017. He’s about to sign a giant deal.

Goodwin is a bit of an outlier but his targets went from 68 to 105. He went from 14.9 yards a catch to 17.2. 

Now take last year and compare it to those guys. One thing was different and his nickname was Rico.

This still scares me

One more year of tape on TT.

Always a bad thing to be trending downward in a not for long league.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Would you rather have AJ Green or Andy Dalton?

Big Ben or Antonio Brown?

Matt Ryan or Julio Jones?

Odell or Eli?

Mike Evans or Winston?

Tyreek Hill or Alex Smith?

Michael Thomas or Drew Brees?

This game sounds like fun. I wanna play.

Would you rather have:

Andrew Luck or TY Hilton?

Aaron Rodgers or Jordy Nelson?

Matthew Stafford or Golden Tate?

Marcus Mariota or Corey Davis?

Carson Wentz or Alshon Jeffrey?

Jared Goff or Robert Woods?

Cam Newton or Devin Funchess?

Edited by KelsaysLunchbox

Just now, jmc12290 said:

One more year of tape on TT.

Always a bad thing to be trending downward in a not for long league.

I don’t disagree with the last part but you aren’t convincing everyone that more tape is a bigger change than a new system. There is a reason that the guy was canned so quickly. His system and beliefs were bad. 

37 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

AJ Green is somebody that I was sure was going to be an injury bust based on how skinny he looked in college.

I remember saying, unless that dude packs on 20 lbs of muscle he's toast in the NFL.   Meanwhile, he stayed skinny and basically torched the entire league for 5 years with above average durability.

Also responsible for McD and Frasier's biggest blunder of the year, allowing him single covered with no deep safety help out wide.   Easiest 70 yard TD I've ever seen and that was against TreD who's pretty special himself.   Put us in a hole we never came out of in that otherwise winnable game.

No one expected that shot so early in the game. It was a great call 

Just now, KelsaysLunchbox said:

This game sounds like fun. I wanna play.

Would you rather have:

Andrew Luck or TY Hilton?

Aaron Rodgers or Jordy Nelson?

Matthew Stafford or Golden Tate?

Marcus Mariota or Corey Davis?

Carson Wentz or Alshon Jeffrey?

Jared Hoff or Robert Woods?

Cam Newton or Devin Funchess?

Taking all of the QBs here but Mariota. I just don’t think he’s good and I like Davis as a prospect.