Please Stop With the Watson/Jackson Comparisons

H2o

3 hours ago, HiddenInLight said:

He ranked dead last in ball velocity at the combine.  I'm not so sure he has the arm strength to throw in the wind here.

Josh Allen - Wyoming - 62 (left), 62 (right)

Lamar Jackson - Louisville - 49 (left), 49 (right)

Baker Mayfield - Oklahoma - 59 (left), 60 (right)

Josh Rosen - UCLA - 57 (left), 59 (right)

Mason Rudolph - Oklahoma State - 52 (left), 52 (right)

Sam Darnold - Southern Cal - did not throw...curiouser and curiouser! 

-------------------------------------------------------------

DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame, 52 (Left), 52 (Right)

Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech, 55 (Left), 55 (Right)

Nathan Peterman, Pittsburgh, 49 (Left), 49 (Right)

Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina, 51 (Left), 50 (Right)

Deshaun Watson, Clemson, 45 (Left), 45 (Right)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jared Goff, California 58

Carson Wentz, North Dakota State 57

Dak Prescott, Mississippi State 54

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russell Wilson (55).

Kirk Cousins (59)

Colin Kaepernick (59)

Tyrod Taylor (50)

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2017/03/16/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

In my view, it's not so much velocity or arm strength as it is to be able to spin the ball with a tight spiral to cut through the wind. Although arm strength and velocity both matter as to getting the ball quickly to the receiver. Hence the term "frozen rope" used to describe Aaron Rodgers throws!

Edited by Nihilarian

1 hour ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I'm not interested in arguing with you anymore.  All you seem to care about is brow beating those of us that don't like Jackson, and trying to convince us that he will be great. It's tiresome,  and irritating.   

So....just like at the beginning of the whole conversation...you have absolutely no reason to dislike Lamar Jackson except "cuz reasons"

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Word.

If people would give legit reasons for debate.....then there could be a discussion.

When you say someone is gonna be a bust...but cannot back that up with anything worthwhile...expect to be called out on it.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Jackson is a bust waiting to happen.

The idiots running NFL teams always get sucked in when it comes to guys like this.

They salivate over his "physical gifts" and forget that the guy can't play QB.

Oh, he's a certified moron too.  Dumb as dirt dumb.

could you please point to that certification?

To be honest, I don't like Lamar Jackson due to his erratic throwing with one great pass and the next a duck. Which will cause turnovers in the NFL. (think Geno Smith)

Slightly built for the punishment he takes and with the big boys this will only get worse (think RG3) Low release point leads to passes batted down. Stops reads after one or two looks and runs. Move accuracy on rollouts and scrambles is poor and was highly inaccurate while on the move in 2017. He didn't play in a complex offense at Louisville and that transition to an NFL offense will be very difficult.

Far, far too many issues to be a first-round pick in my view. The Panthers just fired their OC in an attempt to make Cam Newton more of a pocket passer. Russell Wilson is very mobile and moves around to buy time in the pocket to make throws...him I want. Another running QB I don't want and Buffalo needs a QB to play now and not take a year or more to develop. 

4 hours ago, HiddenInLight said:

We do have strong wind inside of the stadium 8 times a year because of the way New Era Field was constructed.  The wind has a slight wind tunnel effect, and the fact that the Bowl sits below ground causes it to swirl around at field level.  It's the same reason that you need a kicker with a strong leg on our team as well.

please.. first you said bad weather now its just strong winds?

Look at that throw.. He just threw an amazing throw.. mad eit look easy in pressure..

Don't think wind will be an issue for them then any other QB..

I am kind of with H2O.... to me there is little comparison. As a prospect coming out Watson was underrated and Jackson is a tad overrated. He is nowhere near as polished of a passer as Watson.

However, we shouldn't write Jackson off ever getting there. He is still improving... but he needs to. He has some way to go to be comparable to Watson. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

There are two primary qb silhouettes in today's Nfl. 

There is the qb who stands in the pocket and is cerebral and can read defenses and analyze schemes. They use that prowess  to move the ball down the field. This is the traditional qb that the game has embraced for decades.

Then there is the qb who through athletic improvisation and gimmicks devised by the coaches, gets the ball down the field. They rely on their legs and their "jukin" in order to compensate for what they fundamentally lack between their ears. These qbs are one-read and run guys who represent the qb template of the last fifteen or so years. They can't stand up to the mental rigor of quarterbacking complexity so they default to what they learned in whatever woebegone place that raised them and taught them football without fundamentals.

It's all about mental rigor. 

For my money, I want a qb who stands in the pocket and has the aptitude to analyze a play and a defense and pass the ball to others (type a) instead of a guy (type b) who just inherently doesn't have those talents and has to improvise with athleticism. 

I see Lamar Jackson, Tyrod Taylor and Deshaun Watson as type b guys. So they're all comparable in that regard. 

Edited by Juror#8
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

There are two primary qb silhouettes in today's Nfl. 

There is the qb who stands in the pocket and is cerebral and can read defenses and analyze schemes. They use that prowess  to move the ball down the field. This is the traditional qb that the game has embraced for decades.

Then there is the qb who through athletic improvisation and gimmicks devised by the coaches, gets the ball down the field. They rely on their legs and their "jukin" in order to compensate for what they fundamentally lack between their ears. These qbs are one-read and run guys who represent the qb template of the last fifteen or so years. They can't stand up to the mental rigor of quarterbacking complexity so they default to what they learned in whatever woebegone place that raised them and taught them football without fundamentals.

It's all about mental rigor. 

For my money, I want a qb who stands in the pocket and has the aptitude to analyze a play and a defense and pass the ball to others (type a) instead of a guy (type b) who just inherently doesn't have those talents and has to improvise with athleticism. 

I see Lamar Jackson, Tyrod Taylor and Deshaun Watson as type b guys. So they're all comparable in that regard. 

Juror#8, you're excused from the panel for spewing nonsense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

I think Jackson might be the most surprising QB in the draft

In the long term he very well could be.  There are preconceived notions about him in Petrino's offense that some people just can't get past even when presented with evidence.  That said, I'm hoping the Bills get Rosen.

4 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I'm not interested in arguing with you anymore.  All you seem to care about is brow beating those of us that don't like Jackson, and trying to convince us that he will be great. It's tiresome,  and irritating.   

Pot meet kettle. 

8 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Pot meet kettle. 

Nice. I'm not brow beating. I'm not continuously questioning those that have differing opinions than I do. I have zero interest in changing anyone's mind. I'm not in a crusade against Jackson. I just don't think he is going to be a championship caliber NFL QB. That is what I want.  The type of QB that he is does not win Super Bowls, and this is a historical fact.  If the Bills draft him,  I'll root like hell for him because I am a Bills fan. Until then,  I'll continue to hope that they don't use a draft pick on him.... specifically a high round pick. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am kind of with H2O.... to me there is little comparison. As a prospect coming out Watson was underrated and Jackson is a tad overrated. He is nowhere near as polished of a passer as Watson.

However, we shouldn't write Jackson off ever getting there. He is still improving... but he needs to. He has some way to go to be comparable to Watson. 

I agree with this.

13 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Nice. I'm not brow beating. I'm not continuously questioning those that have differing opinions than I do. I have zero interest in changing anyone's mind. I'm not in a crusade against Jackson. I just don't think he is going to be a championship caliber NFL QB. That is what I want.  The type of QB that he is does not win Super Bowls, and this is a historical fact.  If the Bills draft him,  I'll root like hell for him because I am a Bills fan. Until then,  I'll continue to hope that they don't use a draft pick on him.... specifically a high round pick. 

It would carry merit if you had something that was more then "cuz I said so"

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I agree with this.

It would carry merit if you had something that was more then "cuz I said so"

I've never said that.  Did you you lose your reading comprehension skills when you moved to Riverside?

I don't care if you feel my opinion has merit. I'm not trying to change your mind.  

Edited by Sig1Hunter