Please Stop With the Watson/Jackson Comparisons

H2o

I see these all of the time. It's completely laughable if you have actually seen the two play. Watson is a QB who is athletically gifted enough to run if necessary and put up huge numbers doing so in college. But first and foremost, Deshaun Watson is a QB. If you never watched him in college there are two games you should see, both games versus Alabama in the BCS Championship. Alabama has defenses chocked full of NFL talent and Watson was outstanding two years in a row on the grandest of stages. For your viewing pleasure you can find videos below. 

I couldn't find the complete 2017 Championship game, but you will see him dissecting that defense in the highlights. He did the same thing the first game though his team came up short. Jackson can only have dreams of throwing the football like that, especially against a Nick Saban coached Alabama defense. So you all can talk throw velocity, they both can run, blah, blah, blah, all you would like. The fact of the matter is that Watson is on a completely different level throwing the football than Lamar Jackson. To compare the two is like comparing cubic zirconia to diamonds. They may have some similarities that you can try to peg, but when you put the two side by side one is clearly better than the other.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Not a fan of Jackson but I see him as a similar player to Watson. Not as good of a passer but my favorite quality of Jackson is his ability to throw the seam route. By far his best pass... Charles Clay would be able to thrive with a QB like Jackson throwing that seam route.

Personally I don't think Jackson has the arm to throw in New Era Field once the weather turns.  The way our stadium is designed any wind is amplified in the bowl.  You need a guy with a bigger arm to throw accurately through the wind.  Just like you need a strong kicker to get the field goals.  There is a reason why there are so many ducks thrown in our stadium, and why so many Great QBs have had really bad days there, and it's not our defense.

Interesting given all of the NFL caliber talent that Watson had the advantage of playing with during his career at Clemson which is something Jackson did not have at Louisville. The OP's bias is as clear as day.  The basis for this thread is dubious.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Interesting given all of the NFL caliber talent that Watson had the advantage of playing with during his career at Clemson which is something Jackson did not have at Louisville. The OP's bias is as clear as day.  The basis for this thread is dubious.

Biased against the thought that Jackson is on Watson's level or that the two are comparable considering how much better of an actual QB Deshaun is? Yes, yes I am. 

2 minutes ago, HiddenInLight said:

Personally I don't think Jackson has the arm to throw in New Era Field once the weather turns.  The way our stadium is designed any wind is amplified in the bowl.  You need a guy with a bigger arm to throw accurately through the wind.  Just like you need a strong kicker to get the field goals.  There is a reason why there are so many ducks thrown in our stadium, and why so many Great QBs have had really bad days there, and it's not our defense.

He has a strong arm. Running QBs are actually good to have in bad weather. Problem is the weather doesn't factor enough games for me to care about it. 

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

He has a strong arm. Running QBs are actually good to have in bad weather. Problem is the weather doesn't factor enough games for me to care about it. 

He ranked dead last in ball velocity at the combine.  I'm not so sure he has the arm strength to throw in the wind here.

Just now, HiddenInLight said:

He ranked dead last in ball velocity at the combine.  I'm not so sure he has the arm strength to throw in the wind here.

:huh: Who cares?  He has plenty of arm as evidenced by his throws in actual games. 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

You have said absolutely nothing to back this up....its just a bunch of bla bla bla

As will any of the Jackson fanboys proclaim. Compare the two side by side. Actually watch them play. That is your blah, blah, blah. :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

The “please stop” threads are almost as good as the “hear me out” threads.

It's the forum equivalent of "hold my beer and watch this"... Nothing good ever follows, although it's usually good for a chuckle.