Worst game ever played...featured the Bills

NY Nole

I came across this story by accident and found it very interesting. It’s about the final 1987 replacement player game featuring the Bills and Giants. Lots of fascinating stuff in here — and some great stories by Marv Levy. Apologies if this has been posted before — but it was a nice break from the pre-draft stuff.

Bills-Giants Scab Game

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NY Nole said:

I came across this story by accident and found it very interesting. It’s about the final 1987 replacement player game featuring the Bills and Giants. Lots of fascinating stuff in here — and some great stories by Marv Levy. Apologies if this has been posted before — but it was a nice break from the pre-draft stuff.

Bills-Giants Scab Game

Lawrence Taylor crossed the picket line and played in the game.  He was destroying the whole side of the line by himself.

• Haha (+1) 1

Man, I remember that game well. Everyone was excited that the strike would be over. But yeah, that was a crappy game.

Anyone remember the game after that? The first one back after the strike?

7 minutes ago, Idandria said:

I beg to differ. The worst game ever, was when the Bills blew that 11 point lead against the Pats on Monday night. McKelvin with the fumble. 

I'm still pissed about that game. 

No..the worst game ever was "wide right".I have never watched the replay and NEVER will.

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, Rubes said:

Man, I remember that game well. Everyone was excited that the strike would be over. But yeah, that was a crappy game.

Anyone remember the game after that? The first one back after the strike?

Was it a game against Atlanta?

29 minutes ago, NY Nole said:

Bills-Giants Scab Game

I had season tickets that year...I remember my father (a big union supporter) forbid me from going to a "scab game". I went anyways, because a high-school classmate of mine, from a few years earlier, was on the Bills scab team.  He didn't end up playing...it was a bad game...though I swear, I have seen a few games just as bad, if not worse by the "real" Bills.  There were a couple of Bills/Browns games, in 2007 and 2009 that were pretty damn hideous.

10 minutes ago, Idandria said:

I beg to differ. The worst game ever, was when the Bills blew that 11 point lead against the Pats on Monday night. McKelvin with the fumble. 

But if he got to do it all over again, he’d do the same thing? THAT game? No rocket surgeon, that Leo. 

I remember I went to a game against Atlanta in the 70's.  We won 3-0.  I believe the coach for Atlanta was a guy named Leeman Bennett.  Boring

7 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Nope!

It was the game against Miami.  I looked it up.  Is that the game where Kelly brought us from behind and Rob Riddick may have had a couple of touchdown receptions?

9 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I had season tickets that year...I remember my father (a big union supporter) forbid me from going to a "scab game". I went anyways, because a high-school classmate of mine, from a few years earlier, was on the Bills scab team.  He didn't end up playing...it was a bad game...though I swear, I have seen a few games just as bad, if not worse by the "real" Bills.  There were a couple of Bills/Browns games, in 2007 and 2009 that were pretty damn hideous.

I love your picture of Randy Smith.  What a fun player to watch!

• Like (+1) 2

I'm pretty sure I was AT the worst game ever played, featuring the Bills:

Browns 6, Bills 3.

It wasn't a defensive slugfest for the ages. It was just two horrifically, comically inept offenses farting all over themselves for 3 hours. 

Derek Anderson went 2 of 17 for 23 yards, 0 TDs, and 1 INT and the Browns WON THE GAME.

ESPN, after the game, just showed the best punts of the day, because those were the only highlights. Everyone on the set laughed and laughed.

I was at that game. What a day.

God, the drought sucked. I heart Andy Dalton.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

It was the game against Miami.  I looked it up.  Is that the game where Kelly brought us from behind and Rob Riddick may have had a couple of touchdown receptions?

Yes!

That was an awesome game, especially since it was the first real game back from the strike. The Bills fell behind 21-0 quickly, then fought back and took the lead in the 4th at 31-24. The defense let Marino score on them late in the 4th to tie it, and it went into OT. Norwood hit a short FG to win it in OT.

Kelly and Marino both had over 300 yards passing, the Bills had almost 500 yards of offense. Chris Burkett was the star receiver that day, but would never live up to it afterward.

It was an incredible, exciting game and gave tons of hope for the future for the Bills. Completely 180-degrees opposite of the week before, in the horrific last strike game.

Music City Miracle

2007 loss to Dallas

2004 loss to the Steelers

the 2009 loss to the Titans (was an absolute low point but I think Jauron got fired right afterwards). 

The list can go on and on but there's a lot worse games most here have seen

4 hours ago, Idandria said:

Pales in comparison to blowing the MNF game against Dallas.  Up by 8 with the ball on the Dallas 10 and 6 minutes to go.  That game was unlosable.

Even if McKelvin doesn't fumble, Bills were going 3-and-out, punt, and Brady beats them anyway.

Edited by KD in CA

The scab game was actually a pretty good game to watch. It’s not even in the top 100 of worst games in NFL history. I can name many Bills games in Bills history that were worse then this game. I do remember Bills scab offensive linemen teaming up on LT and it turned into a WWE style throw down.  There is some real funny moments in this game. Also the expression on Marv Levi’s face and his mannerisms in this game are hilarious.  I have this game on VHS, I collected Bills games on tape back then. I pretty much have every Bills game on VHS during the Jim Kelly era. I’m only missing a couple of Jim Kelly era games. I also have most of his Houston Gambler games on VHS tape to. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074

11 hours ago, Idandria said:

I'm still pissed the missed the kick to the Giants in the SB for any game against them to be call worse is painful.

11 hours ago, Logic said:

Browns 6, Bills 3.

It wasn't a defensive slugfest for the ages. It was just two horrifically, comically inept offenses farting all over themselves for 3 hours. 

Derek Anderson went 2 of 17 for 23 yards, 0 TDs, and 1 INT and the Browns WON THE GAME.

ESPN, after the game, just showed the best punts of the day, because those were the only highlights. Everyone on the set laughed and laughed.

Absolutely agree.  I was there too.  I attended with my friend, who was a Browns fan.  He couldn't even enjoy that win for his Browns because the game sucked so bad. 

If I recall correctly, it was heading for a tie until Roscoe Parrish fumbled a punt.

11 hours ago, Logic said:

Browns 6, Bills 3.

This game in a landslide.  I also had the misfortune of attending this game.  Our seats sucked at the top corner of the upper deck, it was freezing cold, both me and my then 11 yr old son had the flu, and the game was unwatchable.  I must have thought to myself "I just want this to be over" at least 100 times  that day.  It seriously was torture. 

And you forgot Roscoe's muffed punt to put a cherry on it.

The highlight of the game (which my son and I still talk about to this day) was when a drunk for some reason came sprinting down the aisle behind us, and precisely when he hit our row he tripped - and went full vertical and literally flew drunk-superman-like down 20 rows of stairs as if suspended in the air by the hand of God.  It was one of the most amazing  physical incidents involving a human I have ever witnessed.  It still didn't make up for the crappy game though.

• Like (+1) 1

Actually now that I think about it the first scab game the Bills played in out of the 3 scab games was to the Indy Colts. They Bills lost 46-7 and that was a lot worse game then the Giants at Bills game. The game article link is written from A Giants point of view by a national media type. I'm telling you the Giants vs Bills game actually had drama and was fun to watch. One of my favorite unknown or least remebered Bills games to watch, lot's of crazy stuff going on in that game.