Worst game ever played...featured the Bills

NY Nole

13 hours ago, NY Nole said:

I came across this story by accident and found it very interesting. It’s about the final 1987 replacement player game featuring the Bills and Giants. Lots of fascinating stuff in here — and some great stories by Marv Levy. Apologies if this has been posted before — but it was a nice break from the pre-draft stuff.

Bills-Giants Scab Game

Really nice find and a good read...thanks for sharing this. Refreshing to read a real article instead of tweet after tweet of made up trade scnearios

14 hours ago, NY Nole said:

I came across this story by accident and found it very interesting. It’s about the final 1987 replacement player game featuring the Bills and Giants. Lots of fascinating stuff in here — and some great stories by Marv Levy. Apologies if this has been posted before — but it was a nice break from the pre-draft stuff.

Bills-Giants Scab Game

Thanks, that was a great article!! LT truly belonged in the HOF for so many reasons!

2 hours ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

The scab game was actually a pretty good game to watch. It’s not even in the top 100 of worst games in NFL history. I can name many Bills games in Bills history that were worse then this game. I do remember Bills scab offensive linemen teaming up on LT and it turned into a WWE style throw down.  There is some real funny moments in this game. Also the expression on Marv Levi’s face and his mannerisms in this game are hilarious.  I have this game on VHS, I collected Bills games on tape back then. I pretty much have every Bills game on VHS during the Jim Kelly era. I’m only missing a couple of Jim Kelly era games. I also have most of his Houston Gambler games on VHS tape to. 

Better get those converted to digital copies or something.

1 hour ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Actually now that I think about it the first scab game the Bills played in out of the 3 scab games was to the Indy Colts. They Bills lost 46-7 and that was a lot worse game then the Giants at Bills game. The game article link is written from A Giants point of view by a national media type. I'm telling you the Giants vs Bills game actually had drama and was fun to watch. One of my favorite unknown or least remebered Bills games to watch, lot's of crazy stuff going on in that game. 

Thanks for the insight. I was a little young to remember that game -- so it's good to hear from someone that remembers watching it. My favorite line in the story was about the lineman that was relegated to turnstile status on Lawrence Taylor and called for a bunch of holding calls: 

Taylor drew seven holding calls in the game, but Dowling wasn’t responsible for any of them. Four were on Bills center Will Grant and three on left guard Rick Schulte. Levy remembers pulling Grant aside on the sideline at one point during the game to discuss the mounting penalties.

“I said to him, ‘Will you’ve been called four times for holding,’ ” Levy remembers. “And he said, ‘Coach that’s good, I’m holding him every down.”

Also -- can we see if this guy has any offspring in this year's draft -- I like his moxie

It was Schulte, however, who was the one who made headlines the next day for his rough and physical—and, by all accounts, dirty—play. Schulte, who died of a heart attack in 2008, was a guard who had played at Illinois. Small and stocky and able to bench press more than 500 pounds, Schulte had no hesitation squaring off against Taylor.

This was the worst game ever...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198411040buf.htm

I remember it was driving rain, Bills 0-9, Browns 1-8

Up in the 4th when the Browns fumbled it at midfield, the joy of thinking a win was coming was dashed when Byner scooped it up and ran for the winning TD.

why did we bother????

41 minutes ago, row_33 said:

This was the worst game ever...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198411040buf.htm

I remember it was driving rain, Bills 0-9, Browns 1-8

Up in the 4th when the Browns fumbled it at midfield, the joy of thinking a win was coming was dashed when Byner scooped it up and ran for the winning TD.

why did we bother????

Ha - was it rain and bitter bitter cold this game?  If it is the one I am thinking my brother still talks about how miserable I (and the game) was.  I was just shivering the whole time - soaking wet and chilled to the bone.  I don't think I've ever felt so miserable and cold for such a long period of time.  The 6-3 game still burns in my mind as worse - but that may be because I selectively tried to remove this game from my memory.