Anyone Else Here Cut the Cable/Dish?

T&C

Did here a few months ago... was with Directv for 17 years. What a great move. Directv was $100 a month for a basic service, I ditched the Sunday Ticket years ago. No longer needed it in this day and age.

So I bought a Ruku smart tv, a 60 mile range antenna (very flat in Florida, get almost a hundred channels on that alone), and signed up for Slingtv. Sling is $25 a month ($28 after taxes and whatever) and has all of the channels me and the wife like, and also has NFL Network. The same @#%# we were watching for $100. And more. AMC, Food Network, Nat Geo, History, Travel... on and on, same ones we had with Directv. Lots of movie channels. 

Anyone else here done the same or something similar? If so, any good tips on what to download? There is a !@#$ ton of free stuff out there, looking for recommendations.

6 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Did it a few years ago. Also using a Roku, but we did keep our local basic cable for local channels only. Also using Sling like you. 

I'm curious then, why don't you just dump the cable and get a $50 dollar antenna for your local channels? That's what the 60 mile range one cost me at walmart.

Sling is excellent, I recommend it to anyone.

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I cut the DirectTV not quite a year ago and haven't looked back since.

Roku, FireTV, and Kodi provide plenty of entertainment.

That not looking back feeling is pretty cool.

4 minutes ago, Kemp2Warlick said:

I'm wanting to do this...but...did your internet go up after cancelling cable tv?....where are you in Fl?...I'm  in west Ocala..

I'm east of Tampa. Internet bill didn't go up at all. Where you are you might be able to get Tampa, Orlando, and Gainsville tv with an antenna. I get stuff south of here mainly... Sarasota, Bradenton, and the local Tampa stations. Thing is, now there are like 3-6 channels attached to each channel, for instance, channel 13 has 4 channels... PBS has a whopping 6. 

31 minutes ago, T&C said:

I'm curious then, why don't you just dump the cable and get a $50 dollar antenna for your local channels? That's what the 60 mile range one cost me at walmart.

We still need Internet from Spectrum so it’s not that much more for the local channel package. We may switch someday, just not today. 

38 minutes ago, T&C said:

Did here a few months ago... was with Directv for 17 years. What a great move. Directv was $100 a month for a basic service, I ditched the Sunday Ticket years ago. No longer needed it in this day and age.

So I bought a Ruku smart tv, a 60 mile range antenna (very flat in Florida, get almost a hundred channels on that alone), and signed up for Slingtv. Sling is $25 a month ($28 after taxes and whatever) and has all of the channels me and the wife like, and also has NFL Network. The same @#%# we were watching for $100. And more. AMC, Food Network, Nat Geo, History, Travel... on and on, same ones we had with Directv. Lots of movie channels. 

Anyone else here done the same or something similar? If so, any good tips on what to download? There is a !@#$ ton of free stuff out there, looking for recommendations.

I cut the cord on Directv and Sunday Ticket about 4 years ago. When Directv refused my annual request to discount Sunday Ticket or I was bailing.  Went aerial for local digital channels. Was not trivial, I live about 25 miles from the transmitters, in driftless area of Wisconsin, and in a valley to boot. Ended up with what looks like a radio tower on its side in my attic. Works great though. Survived that way for a couple of years with Amazon Prime and Netflix on a crappy 3mb DSL line which was the best available at the time.  Again not trivial, I have three kids but thankfully I am a network engineer and between bandwidth caps and QOS we survived.

About 2 years ago my broadband provider (only one available outside of satellite) was able to give me 6mb down at which point I got on the Roku train. Both were godsends.  The cherry on top was adding my old mans Directv login into the mix. He is 80 years old, does next to nothing on the internet, and has a Directv's cadillac plan with Sunday ticket. Using his Directv credentials along with all of the various Roku apps (i.e. HBO GO, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc...), I have essentially arrived back at what I had 4 years ago for a fraction of the cost.  

Bandwidth is still a challenge but not really for me, kids gripe about it all the time. :beer:

5 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

We still need Internet from Spectrum so it’s not that much more for the local channel package. We may switch someday, just not today. 

Makes sense. We've had the internet regardless as she uses it for work so it was already here anyways. 

I'm ditching DirecTV and Sunday Ticket this year.

Question: how do you watch Bills' games? I'm considering the $100 streaming package, but it's not live - games are available Sundays after 7PM or so. I'd have to stay off the Internet on Sundays until after I watch the game.

Prior to realizing I could use my birthright to obtain Sunday Ticket, I had good luck finding streams here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nflstreams/

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Question: how do you watch Bills' games? I'm considering the $100 streaming package, but it's not live - games are available Sundays after 7PM or so. I'd have to stay off the Internet on Sundays until after I watch the game.

Edited by simool
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

You answered your own question...

1 hour ago, T&C said:

I was thinking about changing but you can't get Mets games on Sling.p.s.-My bill is 138 with two genie boxes..they gave me the sports channels for free.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I was thinking about changing but you can't get Mets games on Sling.p.s.-My bill is 138 with two genie boxes..they gave me the sports channels for free.

They are found on the internet. You should really think about cutting the cord man... we have so many tv options out there now that it is mind boggling. For the most part we still only watch a dozen channels anyways.

2 hours ago, T&C said:

So what about recording options?  I rarely watch anything live other than sporting events.

18 minutes ago, ricojes said:

So what about recording options?  I rarely watch anything live other than sporting events.

That is a question that I can't answer... but, sling, ruku, etc let you pause programs if you want to watch them at a later date. 

26 minutes ago, T&C said:

That is a question that I can't answer... but, sling, ruku, etc let you pause programs if you want to watch them at a later date. 

I can build you a doghouse,patio deck and/or a firepit...but when it comes to electronics,cords,plug ins,power switches..I'm lost.I would need help setting up all of that to the tv's....not to mention..I think my bride signed a new contract or agreed to one over the phone..not sure what that would be?

3 hours ago, T&C said:

Which antenna did you get?

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Which antenna did you get?

I think it is an RCA, I just went out to the living room and it doesn't have anything on it as to who made/sold it... but it is double winged similar to this one:

https://hilineelectronics.com/ge-34137-ultrapro-optima-hdtv-antenna-for-vhf-uhf-channels-indoor-tv-antenna-with-signal-enhancing-reflector-panel-60-mile-range/

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I can build you a doghouse,patio deck and/or a firepit...but when it comes to electronics,cords,plug ins,power switches..I'm lost.I would need help setting up all of that to the tv's....not to mention..I think my bride signed a new contract or agreed to one over the phone..not sure what that would be?

I'm pretty sure that any smart neighbor, family person over say 15 nowadays could help you with hooking things up. But, there really isn't anything to hook up except the antenna. The rest is just signing into your internet. Sling is easily done over the phone.

Edit: I read this back and I am in no way insinuating that you aren't smart, so my apology if it came off that way. What I meant is that a lot of the younger folks are way above us older guys when it comes to the new technology... I lean on them myself at times.

Edited by T&C

Does anybody know how to have their TV broadcast their phone's display screen? I have Verizon, so I would automatically get bills games on the NFL app, streamed "Live" - more so about a 3 or 4 minute delay. Doesn't even use any data. That will be my best option, since I live near train tracks, and they mess up my digital antenna signal.

Miracast or Chromecast.  Miracast is generally built into the TV if used.  Chromecast you can get a dongle for.  I use Miracast occassionally and it is nowhere near as easy to use as Chromecast

27 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Does anybody know how to have their TV broadcast their phone's display screen? I have Verizon, so I would automatically get bills games on the NFL app, streamed "Live" - more so about a 3 or 4 minute delay. Doesn't even use any data. That will be my best option, since I live near train tracks, and they mess up my digital antenna signal.

Edited by simool

On a somewhat related note, for those who still have telephone landline service via the old school telephone company or thru your cable/Internet provider, you can cut that out and get free VOIP (voice over IP) phone service from Google Voice.  If you've got phone service thru your cable company or FIOS, this is pretty much the same thing without a monthly fee.  Only drawback is it does not include 911

You will need a VOIP adapter like this.  With some patience and a $10 fee you can even transfer your existing number to Google Voice

*Edit I just noticed from that link I posted that I bought mine not quite 3 years ago.  Other than the occasional reboot, I've never had a problem

Edited by /dev/null

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

On a somewhat related note, for those who still have telephone landline service via the old school telephone company or thru your cable/Internet provider, you can cut that out and get free VOIP (voice over IP) phone service from Google Voice.  If you've got phone service thru your cable company or FIOS, this is pretty much the same thing without a monthly fee.

You will need a VOIP adapter like this.  With some patience and a $10 fee you can even transfer your existing number to Google Voice

How is your level of spam callers? I have switched numbers a couple of times but I still get many even with the spam controls enabled. I have used Google Voice for at least 3 years now, but I did not have a problem for the first 2.

I went back to Comcast after switching to the online DirecTV Now from DirecTV. Constant buffering drove me crazy. My hi-speed internet comes from Comcast anyway so after going in person to my local Comcast retail location, they swung me a deal where I get everything I want, plus all movie channels for what I was paying for Internet and DirecTV Now alone. Apparently you have to go in-person to the Comcast retail locations. The phone people can't offer the same deals. Stupid, but that's how they do it.

6 minutes ago, simool said:

How is your level of spam callers? I have switched numbers a couple of times but I still get many even with the spam controls enabled. I have used Google Voice for at least 3 years now, but I did not have a problem for the first 2.

If you want to stop the spam and telemarketers, turn on call screening.  Anyone who calls will be greeted with "Please state your name for the Google Voice Subscriber" before a connection is established.  Stops the robocalls and most telemarketers.  

Thinking back... someone mentioned to me that Directv owned sling. 

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I'm aware that those streams exist, but I was under the impression that they're not reliable.

This is an area that I don't want to talk about publicly but they are reliable, especially if you have a few different ones. One thing I will say though, I have watched Bills game live on Youtube of all places. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

If you want to stop the spam and telemarketers, turn on call screening.  Anyone who calls will be greeted with "Please state your name for the Google Voice Subscriber" before a connection is established.  Stops the robocalls and most telemarketers.  

This is why you must make the big bucks dev.  Thanks.

I have Comcast Internet. I use Hulu to watch live sports or other Hulu content. Got the Hulu plus HBO so I watch any HBO content that’s ever been made. Netflix. Amazon Prime. I can’t get directv because of trees so They sell me the Sunday Ticket for streaming all the games. I access all those via Apple TV. 

I have an antenna in case the Internet goes down. Hasn’t happened but it could. 

No hard phone or cable TV. Have not missed it for a heartbeat. 

Directional Antenna

RCA regular

Flatty flat flat one

Did this 4 years ago.  No ISP, no phone, no cable.  Just my phone hotspot and my 42" tube TV.

I have all 3.  The directional antenna is the best, but it's mounted on my roof.  I can, on great days, get signal from Roanoke, VA.  Over 110 miles away from where I am, though mountains and all between Lexington, NC and there.   Raleigh is about 100 miles away and I can sometimes pick up channels from there.  Oddly, I get some tiny station out of Hickory, NC as well.

The RCA is as good as any, I own the older version that is probably 15 years old.  I get about 100 channels with the directional antenna, most of them are obviously repeat channels - CBS's, Fox's, NBC's, PBS's, ABC's...  But, there are several stations that are cool, like Grit (which is like Spike TV).  I also have Mobdro on my tablet if I must watch some cable TV live.  The directional has a second line out opportunity but I do not utilize it.  I do have the RCA in the bedroom which I seldom use, maybe if I amm awake at 12:30 I watch Twilight Zone . The flat one is in the work shed with a DVD player and I seldom watch that, but it gets about 60 channels in a metal roof building.

I recommend these two products:

DVD Player with USB port

Something like this

I have a 1TB solid state drive that I put movies and other things on since I do not have a smart TV and can watch them this way.  

While I pay $118.32 for Verizon cellular, which is a lot, I am grandfathered on the data plan with a hotspot on my phone.  As such, I figure it is still cheaper to go this route when it is as fast as a Spectrum connection, essentially.

Oh, and my NES is hooked up to the 42" tube, as well, with a Dolby 5.1 surround system.  If this was 1994 I would be a high tech redneck!  Come to think of it, that's a George Jones song... ladies and gentleman... George Jones:

Edited by Boyst62

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

That service (asking for a name) been around for years. Long story short, I used to have Jeff Burris's, former Bills player, phone number, and he would use that to cut down on people he didn't know calling him. 

48 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

That service (asking for a name) been around for years. Long story short, I used to have Jeff Burris's, former Bills player, phone number, and he would use that to cut down on people he didn't know calling him. 

I knew it was there, it is not something that is ideal for me personally. I did not put two and two together that it would cut down on the spam calls, but it makes sense.

Many of the people I deal with are going to find it to be a pain the ass. but I am going to give it a whirl anyway. It would be nice if it only did it for numbers not in my contacts.  

8 hours ago, simool said:

I knew it was there, it is not something that is ideal for me personally. I did not put two and two together that it would cut down on the spam calls, but it makes sense.

Many of the people I deal with are going to find it to be a pain the ass. but I am going to give it a whirl anyway. It would be nice if it only did it for numbers not in my contacts.  

You can turn it off for your contacts

Go into the Legacy Google view, Settings, Groups and Circles

• Thank you (+1) 1