“Conservative” Government Overreach

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/georgia-senate-approves-tax-bill-snubbing-delta-nra-53446838

As a Georgian and a conservative I am indeed horrified at this happy horseshit. 

These Republicans told us how how vital Citizens United was. Corporations ‘have a voice!’ Right? Cause that’s what was wrong in this country before — big money not having a place at the table....I digress, anyways, Delta uses their voice to separate from the NRA and Georgian “conservatives” essentially fine them for expressing their opinion because they don’t like it?

This is gross. This is NOT about guns — this is about government using its power to fine corporations that have differing views. And that door swings both ways. 

Now I know they disguised the fine as a “tax,” but it is what it is. 

And how stupid are Georgian politicians? Really stupid. All ya gotta do down here is promise to put the 10 commandments in schools and bitchslap the love of Jesus into the gays. But this is idiotic...why don’t they just tell Delta to ‘take their money, jobs, and value to our city, and GET THE HELL OUT!’ What are these idiots thinking?

Again, this is NOT a gun issue. This is a government taxing you because they don’t like you issue. 

9 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

. This is a government taxing you because they don’t like you issue. 

Georgia lawmakers killed a proposed tax break on jet fuel that would have saved the airline millions.

So NOT treating them special.....................is gross :D

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Georgia lawmakers killed a proposed tax break on jet fuel that would have saved the airline millions.

A break Delta thought they had and were planning on. This is political targeting. And if this is tolerated it will become the new norm. A companies support or lack thereof for a lobbyist group should NOT come into such things. But get cute about it if such things don’t bother you. 

31 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I'm pretty sure Georgia thought about this long and hard. Delta doesn't just "move its hub." 

Naw, dude. Georgia doesn’t do a lot of thinking when it comes to politics. But that is a valid point. But...if Delta said ‘we’re open to takers’ I’m sure they’d find a sweet deal. 

It was a lose lose for all of these companies that entered into contracts with the NRA to provide discount for its members.  You keep the discount after the shooting and you get a boycott from some on the left.  You cut ties with the NRA and you get a boycott from the right.  Companies would be smart to avoid doing business with controversial political organizations.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

It was a lose lose for all of these companies that entered into contracts with the NRA to provide discount for its members.  You keep the discount after the shooting and you get a boycott from some on the left.  You cut ties with the NRA and you get a boycott from the right.  Companies would be smart to avoid doing business with controversial political organizations.

JAZZ SHAW: As corporations lean left, they risk tipping over.

The thing is, the executives making these decisions aren’t so concerned with what their customers think, as with what their peers think.

Georgia has an unusually high state tax on jet fuel.

In 2014, it was .15/gallon, the 11th highest in the nation.

Seems to me, that with such a high rate in comparison to other states, it isn't "corporate welfare."

Normalizing a tax in comparison to what other states charge isn't welfare.

Either way, rewarding or punishing corporations for agreeing with a state legislator's view is a long term bad policy.

North Carolina was going to do the same thing to American a few years back for a similar thing, but backed off.

Cost to Delta is about $100/flight, about half the cost of the average domestic ticket.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't think the NRA is controversial, until the left decides to make it so by associating it  with a tragedy it nothing to do with to try to make political hay on the gun control front. The other 99% of the time most people never think about the NRA, and after the 'never think about them' group the next largest group is probably members.

7 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

I don't think the NRA is controversial, until the left decides to make it so by associating it  with a tragedy it nothing to do with to try to make political hay on the gun control front. The other 99% of the time most people never think about the NRA, and after the 'never think about them' group the next largest group is probably members.

I'll respectfully disagree.  Their approval rating if you will has always been between 45 and 55 percent.  The rest believe they support bad policies.  It's always been a controversial group magnified when tragedies happen like Parkland.  I wouldn't be associated with them, the ACLU, planned parenthood, etc... if I owned a business.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I'll respectfully disagree.  Their approval rating if you will has always been between 45 and 55 percent.  The rest believe they support bad policies.  It's always been a controversial group magnified when tragedies happen like Parkland.  I wouldn't be associated with them, the ACLU, planned parenthood, etc... if I owned a business.

I get that it's a controversial organization in the sense that if prompted to think about the NRA people will tend to have strong opinions for or against, but I still don't think that most people think of them outside of the context of events like parkland or being asked directly "hey, what are your thoughts on the NRA?" While I can understand why a business owner wouldn't want to be associated with them due to the possibility of alienating potential customers, I also don't think that under most  normal circumstances most people are considering whether a business supports the NRA or not when deciding which businesses to patronize. I tend to think of the NRA like black jellybeans in that regard. Everyone either loves them or hates them, but no one actually cares until there's a bowl of jellybeans in the room. 

Edited by Chandemonium
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well, you don't need to worry about guns anymore since you are proficient enough with your fists to beat up your Vega.

I prefer guns though when it comes to folks like you. If I punched you....you’d get up after a while. 

19 hours ago, B-Man said:

Heres Delta’s side:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/delta-fires-back-angry-lawmakers-173741059.html

59 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

They used to. Now they’re just a lobbyist group. 

Do you have any evidence of this, or are you just passing along something you heard recently? As someone who has overseen firearms education programs for several years at youth camps, I can say without a doubt that you are mistaken.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, sodbuster said:

Do you have any evidence of this, or are you just passing along something you heard recently? As someone who has overseen firearms education programs for several years at youth camps, I can say without a doubt that you are mistaken.

Well since you’ve been involved in youth firearm lessons I’m sure you’re right. Clearly that’s what the NRA is. Never mind the lobbyists. 

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

Well since you’ve been involved in youth firearm lessons I’m sure you’re right. Clearly that’s what the NRA is. Never mind the lobbyists. 

That's not what you said. You said they're JUST a lobbying group, and that they no longer are at the forefront of supporting gun safety. At my summer camp and hundreds like it across the country, NRA Instructors educated kids in facilities funded with NRA grant money, using volumes of NRA published material. If not for the NRA, our camp might not have had a successful shooting sports program.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

That's not what you said. You said they're JUST a lobbying group, and that they no longer are at the forefront of supporting gun safety. At my summer camp and hundreds like it across the country, NRA Instructors educated kids in facilities funded with NRA grant money, using volumes of NRA published material. If not for the NRA, our camp might not have had a successful shooting sports program.

Yes, but what do you know? If "The Dude" says they're only lobbyists we have to go by what he says. After all he's "The Dude", the one who hates the cops and beats up cars. You only work with NRA instructors teaching gun safety in youth camps.

2 hours ago, sodbuster said:

If not for the NRA, our camp might not have had a successful shooting sports program.

see that's the problem.  your camp shouldn't have a shooting program at all.  that time would be better spent  on wholesome activities such as deconstructing whiteness, or education on the proper use of genderless pronouns

• Haha (+1) 1

So a business is to be penalized for making a business decision?  Nothing like GOP hypocrisy and it's hysterical to watch people scrambling to justify it.  "Get the government out" of private sector and people's lives doesn't apply for guns, gynecology, gays or religion.  LOL.

Even with the low standards by which red states are measured, this was ridiculous.  No-one ever used that discount - 13 to 16 people, depending on which account you read.  Statistically in the millions of people who fly Delta per year - nothing.  And Delta's response was priceless.  Principles?  GOP don't need no stinking principles.

Note: I'm referring to GOP.  Not traditional conservatives.  Any conservative with a brain and principles has got to realize your party's been hijacked by extremists. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/1/2018 at 10:14 PM, Doc Brown said:

It's also shows how liberals and moderates have been shut out of the political process by a minority that has taken it over. Through gerrymandering, the EC and the senate being a disproportionate representer of rural interests, consumer are showing their power in other ways. If the system is rigged against normal people then you fight with your pocket book 

29 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

It's also shows how liberals and moderates have been shut out of the political process by a minority that has taken it over. Through gerrymandering, the EC and the senate being a disproportionate representer of rural interests, consumer are showing their power in other ways. If the system is rigged against normal people then you fight with your pocket book 

Gator, you ignorant slut, Delta had given that discount to something like 13 individuals over the years. It was no big deal, obviously. The smart business way of doing things would be to STFU about it and to not try to pull a reverse Chick-Fil-A. How long has this gerrymandering, electoral college and Senate representation been going on? So, to fight with your purse, what do you do, fly more on Delta?

2 hours ago, blzrul said:

So a business is to be penalized for making a business decision?  Nothing like GOP hypocrisy and it's hysterical to watch people scrambling to justify it.  "Get the government out" of private sector and people's lives doesn't apply for guns, gynecology, gays or religion.  LOL.

Even with the low standards by which red states are measured, this was ridiculous.  No-one ever used that discount - 13 to 16 people, depending on which account you read.  Statistically in the millions of people who fly Delta per year - nothing.  And Delta's response was priceless.  Principles?  GOP don't need no stinking principles.

Note: I'm referring to GOP.  Not traditional conservatives.  Any conservative with a brain and principles has got to realize your party's been hijacked by extremists. 

You're taking a side for the sake of sticking to your side.

First of all, conservatives know the GOP is not built around conservatives. Old news.

Second, you take the approach that statistically 'no one ever used that discount,' but say nothing of how ridiculously stupid the move was by Delta. They removed something that no one used, just to bend to snowflake demands, and try to make a stand. It backfired. Badly. Just like Dick's...promising to stop selling something (assault-style weapons) that , by definition as make/model, does not exist.

Likewise, the government is not forcing Delta to do anything. They won't take them to court to make them bake a cake for a lesbian wedding. It's just removing an incentive that was offered. 

I don't agree with what the state did, but that's okay because it's a state. If I don't like it, I can move. I can vote them out. I can fly Delta more often. I can buy stuff at Dick's.

When the federal government does this, much like the Obama administration did, THEN we have a problem.

On 3/2/2018 at 4:02 PM, The_Dude said:

I prefer guns though when it comes to folks like you. If I punched you....you’d get up after a while. 

Heres Delta’s side:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/delta-fires-back-angry-lawmakers-173741059.html

Is this some kitty ass attempt at threatening someone?  Not only is that against TOS if you ever did that you'd be walking on the wrong side of folks like me who don't like that type of attitude. Save the internet tough guy schtick, I get it.  Even if you really pretend you carry this moxie off line, yoi come off as a B word ass little fag who'd get his dick knocked in the dirt as fast as can be by most men I know.

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Is this some kitty ass attempt at threatening someone?  Not only is that against TOS if you ever did that you'd be walking on the wrong side of folks like me who don't like that type of attitude. Save the internet tough guy schtick, I get it.  Even if you really pretend you carry this moxie off line, yoi come off as a B word ass little fag who'd get his dick knocked in the dirt as fast as can be by most men I know.

Be careful, he beats up cars.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Be careful, he beats up cars.

I don't care, but the act like he wouldn't sit there and share a beer with us or act like he is some sort of badass... He needs a pin in his chest so he can actually calm the !@#$ down.  Too much damn hot air in there.

There's been a bunch of these !@#$s here that I never thought I'd get along with and I enjoy

Just now, Boyst62 said:

I don't care, but the act like he wouldn't sit there and share a beer with us or act like he is some sort of badass... He needs a pin in his chest so he can actually calm the !@#$ down.  Too much damn hot air in there.

There's been a bunch of these !@#$s here that I never thought I'd get along with and I enjoy

Are you threatening to stab him? It might be easier and a tad more legal to pull the plug on his back and deflate like George Costanza after a dip in Long Island Sound.

21 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

C2D1A45B-36EE-4719-9700-D078FE5749C3.png

18 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

C2D1A45B-36EE-4719-9700-D078FE5749C3.png

I'm as non serious as they come here, anyone ever believing I get worked up or upset needs their head examined.  There is no reason for anyone here to tout their toughness or masculinity here. It's one thing for the handful here who have met each other but the rest it's just laughable.

Of the regulars on this subforum I think Jack, GG, Levi are the only ones I've met.  

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I'm as non serious as they come here, anyone ever believing I get worked up or upset needs their head examined.  There is no reason for anyone here to tout their toughness or masculinity here. It's one thing for the handful here who have met each other but the rest it's just laughable.

Of the regulars on this subforum I think Jack, GG, Levi are the only ones I've met.  

You don't call giving Meade your tender loins substantial?

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

You don't call giving Meade your tender loins substantial?

It's hard to remember who regularly posts here and who doesn't.

I can't even remember who I've met and not met. Probably met more boar members than 90% of everyone here. Ive met all the moderators but Chandler and Simon, not met Nervous Guy, either.   

I would meet any member up for a beer even if it's a retard like Tiberius or Gary Busy.  Or a fine upstanding poster like Hossage or Ryan L Billz.

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Im not sure what’s got you so worked up. For all you know I’m a bed ridden, 400 lbs lesbian, with a house full of cats. I’m just an internet person to you. Don’t get so worked up, man.