A coup for Beane

gjv001

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't understand the "tag" talk.

Sammy was #4 in receiving yardage for the Rams, #4 in targets, #4 in receptions - that's with Woods playing 3 fewer games. 

Meanwhile you've got Woods playing for $5M next year.

I don't see how you can tag your #4 guy without causing hard feelings towards the team from guys who are earning less and doing more.

I am not sure maybe they see more out of him when he has a full offseason in their offense that they would use the Tag on him initially if needed to get the Long Term deal done 

21 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Now that being said Sammy is not coming back to Buffalo. He will go to a team with an established QB,etc etc

I don’t agree. I think he’s going wherever the bigger contract is period. He just put up JAG numbers with a nearly 4000 yard passer under center. 

But because of his tangibles someone will make a stupid offer. 

On 3/1/2018 at 6:21 PM, MAJBobby said:

I would definitely bring Sammy back if Spotrac is accurate in their contract projection for him at 5.9M AVV. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/sammy-watkins-14413/market-value/

Wow, thanks for pointing that out.  That is awfully low.....I think they have Jordan Matthews market at north of $8M per.   I'm no Sammy fan, but I'd consider it an upset if Matthews finds more $$$ in the FA market than Sammy.  I think Sammy's worst case is a 1 yr. prove it deal in the $7-$8M range.  Availability has really stunted his value, I guess, makes sense.

On 3/1/2018 at 6:27 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.  Sammy is on his way into the history books as a touted 1st round pick who didn't live up to his billing. 

He gets the asterisk that he hasn't had an ideal situation - QB, injury, and scheme problems.

I'm Sammy, I go for a lower, but short "prove it" deal with the very best QB and team I can get with, in the hopes that I light up the place and rejuvenate my career.

I'm going to bet that BB gives him at least a call.

If cousins goes to Denver I could see him there.

There's a ton of teams that fit your criteria though.

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That 2nd round pick could very easily be a key part in a tradeup for a QB. 

And no, Benjamin's injury history isn't anything near as bad as Sammy's. Sammy's had a bunch of different injuries, never very often seeming fully healthy, while Benjamin has essentially had one injury. It was a bad one, but he hasn't been often injured.

Sammy = high risk http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/sammy-watkins/6937

Benjamin = low risk http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/kelvin-benjamin/6952

And yeah, the Bills gave up a 3rd and a 6th for Benjamin. And while the 3rd could theoretically come back to haunt them with it's absence, we had two thirds at the time and still have one. And a 3rd is simply worth less than a 2nd. And they made that net gain for a guy who has been just about as prolific as Sammy, game for game but will cost around $10 million less next year and who last year saved the Bills nearly $2 mill on the cap compared to what Sammy would have if they'd kept him.

Benjamin is under contract to the Bills for another year at $8.459 mill while Sammy may either be let go or franchised at around $17 mill. He saved money against the cap last year, he will be kept with major savings next year, they still have the 2nd they acquired for Sammy to trade for a QB and it looks like it could well be an integral part of the deal, assuming there is one. And he has a much less consistent history of injury.

So, yeah, really.

Except Sammy is way better than Kelvin

9 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Except Sammy is way better than Kelvin

Maybe. 

As of yet, the stats would not indicate that. But it could certainly be true. I thought if Sammy stayed healthy he was going to rip it up in L.A. But not so much yet. We shall see.