Jets Announce Release of DL Mo Wilkerson - Next Visit with Kansas City

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

They are already stacked at the DL position and they just paid Brandon Williams a big contract last year.  I doubt it.  Not sure where he's going to go.

I wouldn't say that they're stacked; aside from Williams their DL consists of Brent Urban (who's a FA), Michael Pierce, Willie Henry, Chris Wormley, Carl Davis, and Bronson Kaufusi.  Not a lot of production there--a combined 5 sacks and 69 tackles in 2017.

• Like (+1) 1

They love Pierce so much they moved Williams to 3 technique and I'm sure they'll give Wormley a chance to win that next spot.  Also, I don't think the Ravens expect a lot of sack production from their defensive line, which is 3-4 based. Their OLB's are the ones they look to for the high sack totals.  I'm sure they would be thrilled with interior guys getting a lot of sacks but I don't think it is something that their defense requires.  They haven't had a double-digit interior lineman since Trevor Pryce. Plus, our cap situation is better than their's and ours is not where Beane wants it.  Ozzie Newsome is one of the most conservative spenders in free agency there is and I don't see that changing in his last year as the GM.

Edited by NewEraBills

At this stage, Wilkerson is not likely to get a long or huge contract. I dont mind us giving him a 2 yr reasonable deal with incentives that overcome the laziness and tardiness.

Not that it is critical, since he has been released signing him will NOT factor into the comp pick formula - so the comp pick police will also be happy.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

If you're Cousins, why would you go to the Jets?  What do they have to offer outside of money?

Who are their skill position players that are going to help Cousins succeed?

It makes no sense.

They have the money to remake that side of the ball and show Cousins they are serious about contending.

Edited by billieve420

6 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

They love Pierce so much they moved Williams to 3 technique and I'm sure they'll give Wormley a chance to win that next spot.  Also, I don't think the Ravens expect a lot of sack production from their defensive line, which is 3-4 based. Their OLB's are the ones they look to for the high sack totals.  I'm sure they would be thrilled with interior guys getting a lot of sacks but I don't think it is something that their defense requires.  They haven't had a double-digit interior lineman since Trevor Pryce.

I'm aware that they run a 30 front, and it's fine if you don't think they'll go after Mo.

I think he fits Ozzie's typical FA profile: very high production in the past, still under the age of 30, has history with some of his coaching staff, and won't count against the comp pick formula.

It doesn't always have to make sense to you on the surface, but for a team that didn't get a ton of production from their front, a guy that fits their scheme as a 5-tech and fits the profile that their GM typically likes to pursue, who also happens to have grown up less than a 3-hour drive from their stadium, is someone to watch.

Edited by thebandit27

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

If you're Cousins, why would you go to the Jets?  What do they have to offer outside of money?

Who are their skill position players that are going to help Cousins succeed?

It makes no sense.

It doesn't, at all, but 40 million is 40 million.

With the Jets cap space, can't you guys see the Jets offering this ridiculous contract?

Just now, NewEraBills said:

Part of me wonders whether or not his lateness and not showing up to meetings was his way of speaking out against something he didn't like.  I dunno.  It's just odd that this was not a habit prior to 2017.  

I think it was prior to 2017 as well but i would have to look it up 

makes the 5th we got for Dareus look good now 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm aware that they run a 30 front, and it's fine if you don't think they'll go after Mo.

I think he fits Ozzie's typical FA profile: very high production in the past, still under the age of 30, has history with some of his coaching staff, and won't count against the comp pick formula.

It doesn't always have to make sense to you on the surface, but for a team that didn't get a ton of production from their front, a guy that fits their scheme as a 5-tech and fits the profile that their GM typically likes to pursue, who also happens to have grown up less than a 3-hour drive from their stadium, it's a team to watch.

Ahhh I didn't think about that.  Newsome has definitely made a living there and the Ravens have benefited greatly.  I just don't think they have the cap space to sign him.  They are in pretty bad shape cap wise and I'm sure their fans will flip over backward if they sign another defensive player without first giving Joe Flacco some weapons on offense.