The Curse of Oak Island TV Show

Fadingpain

Just did a search for this and couldn't find a thread on it, so I started this.

Anyone else watching this?  I read "The Money Pit" many years ago and found the story fascinating.  I catch the show now and again, usually by mistake, and will usually watch.

They pull up a piece of bone or wood or cloth but nothing ever leads to anything of substance.

These guys must be sinking a fortune into that little island!  I don't think they'll find anything.

What do others think?

36 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Anyone else watching this?  I read "The Money Pit" many years ago and found the story fascinating.  I catch the show now and again, usually by mistake, and will usually watch.

They pull up a piece of bone or wood or cloth but nothing ever leads to anything of substance.

These guys must be sinking a fortune into that little island!  I don't think they'll find anything.

What do others think?

I read books on it as a kid and have always been fascinated. I also majored in history so it's like my passion outside football 

They think they found the original money pit and are doing excavations now...

must cost a fortune

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

As long as someone is funding them they’ll keep at it.   

Dig a hole find nothing, dig and repeat.  

Yum Foods,the top commercial giant is flipping the bill ...KFC,Taco Bell,mc'd's,pizza hut...they made far more than 2 million in sales because of their 30 second ads,.isn't that the worth of the gold treasure they are "looking" for?

15 minutes ago, thebug said:

Yeah they always find “just enough” to continue the search. I think they plant stuff to make it look good. A fortune has been sunk into this for sure. 

Yeah just enough to keep you wanting to come back next week to see if they found something else

I loved last weeks episode.  There was no excavations and had nothing to do with what they're doing on the island.  It was all their theory on the Knights Templar.  And what made me laugh was all the stock footage they used was from another History Channel show, Knightfall :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

Yeah just enough to keep you wanting to come back next week to see if they found something else

I loved last weeks episode.  There was no excavations and had nothing to do with what they're doing on the island.  It was all their theory on the Knights Templar.  And what made me laugh was all the stock footage they used was from another History Channel show, Knightfall :lol:

I watch history when I turn in TV and I noticed that The knightfall show and Oak Island were using the same footage and referencing each other lol

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I watch history when I turn in TV and I noticed that The knightfall show and Oak Island were using the same footage and referencing each other lol

Oak Island is produced by the same company as Ancient Aliens, narrated by the same guy, and have some of the same "Experts" on the show

The two brothers on the show started out funding this thing on their own; the younger one (I think it is) owns his own drilling company or some such and I guess is fairly wealthy.  His brother is a retired postal worker.

Now that it has been turned into a TV show, I doubt the brothers are paying a dime, but there is still a lot of money going into those holes.  

PS:  I find the brothers' Canadian accents interesting, seeing as they are from Michigan.

:lol:

25 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The two brothers on the show started out funding this thing on their own; the younger one (I think it is) owns his own drilling company or some such and I guess is fairly wealthy.  His brother is a retired postal worker.

Now that it has been turned into a TV show, I doubt the brothers are paying a dime, but there is still a lot of money going into those holes.  

PS:  I find the brothers' Canadian accents interesting, seeing as they are from Michigan.

Eh, that's how it goes don't ya know...

they actually might be from the UP though

Edited by Buffalo716

I just retired, so I finally have the time to watch stuff like this.

I think it is a pretty cool treasure hunt. The payoff is potentially huge (not just $2 million, as someone posted). If it turns out to be the holy grail and similar artifacts, it would be historic.

4 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

I just retired, so I finally have the time to watch stuff like this.

I think it is a pretty cool treasure hunt. The payoff is potentially huge (not just $2 million, as someone posted). If it turns out to be the holy grail and similar artifacts, it would be historic.

Doubt the Holy Grail (if one ever existed at all) is buried in a pit on a small island in Nova Scotia, but you never know.

I agree that their findings, if any, are likely to have more historical value than monetary value.

It would be interesting to discover a historical link between medieval Europe and Nova Scotia.

On 2/17/2018 at 4:37 PM, Fadingpain said:

What do others think?

There was something there but I feel it's gone now.

They are looking for civil war good in Lake Michigan next.

On 2/17/2018 at 5:17 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

As long as someone is funding them they’ll keep at it.   

Dig a hole find nothing, dig and repeat.  

Their millions.

On 2/17/2018 at 7:03 PM, Buffalo716 said:

All About The Benjamin$$$

On 2/17/2018 at 7:09 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Haven't seen this guy yet :P 

IMG_0361.PNG

You'd think this clown would have a better hairstyle if he wanted to be taken seriously.

22 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Youppers

24 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Doubt the Holy Grail (if one ever existed at all) is buried in a pit on a small island in Nova Scotia, but you never know.

I agree that their findings, if any, are likely to have more historical value than monetary value.

It would be interesting to discover a historical link between medieval Europe and Nova Scotia.

Their was a cup Jesus drank from but there is no holy grail.

i've been watching the show for sometime now, i don't think they are going to find anything (apart from enough minor tantalizing evidence to keep people tuning back in).

i think if there ever was anything there of value ( a big IF), it was already discovered and removed but just not documented, by previous searchers.

in terms of funding, i've been saying for years the brothers may have started using their own funds, but the vast majority has been underwritten by History channel in the last few seasons. (my opinion)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wnysteel said:

i don't think they are going to find anything (apart from enough minor tantalizing evidence to keep people tuning back in).

i think if there ever was anything there of value ( a big IF), it was already discovered and removed but just not documented, by previous searchers.

in terms of funding, i've been saying for years the brothers may have started using their own funds, but the vast majority has been underwritten by History channel in the last few seasons. (my opinion)

Pretty much my opinion as well

6 hours ago, wnysteel said:

i've been watching the show for sometime now, i don't think they are going to find anything (apart from enough minor tantalizing evidence to keep people tuning back in).

I'm not sure that anything of value has already been removed, unless you mean going way back to the origins of the discovery of the money pit in the 1700s.

The couple of guys who made the island their life's work throughout the 20th century certainly never found the big reward.

Also, a number of discoveries have been claimed lately, like finding parchment paper 160 feet (I think) below the earth, bone fragments, and this mysterious lead "cross" which may or may not be a cross.

The guy with the Aussie accent finds more interesting stuff in swampy areas with his metal detector than the drillers find in these deep pits.  How do we know these objects are actually found?  They could totally be props meant to steer the show along a path of "entertainment" and I'm not sure why that would be any less legitimate than an episode of fiction meant as entertainment as well.

Like the lead cross thing.  Really?  They found that on an island in Nova Scotia? And it really dates to the 12th or 13th century?  And may have a connection to the Knights Templar?  Or did they get someone to cast it by hand a month ago?  Who would know, and what would the penalty be for discovering this? I'm guessing not much, other than maybe losing their audience.  I don't see any legal sanctions.

Edited by Fadingpain

Love the show however I will admit it’s basically a giant jerk off. They will never find anything of substance. Their riches and fame are created by sucking all of us in and keeping us watching. 

Imo, I like Hunting Hitler much more than Oak Island. The amount of information for Hitler escaping Germany is amazing. And while I also believe they will never find factual evidence that he did flee instead of committing suicide, I do believe he did. 

18 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Like the lead cross thing.  Really?  They found that on an island in Nova Scotia? And it really dates to the 12th or 13th century?  And may have a connection to the Knights Templar?  Or did they get someone to cast it by hand a month ago?  Who would know, and what would the penalty be for discovering this? I'm guessing not much, other than maybe losing their audience.  I don't see any legal sanctions.

It belongs in a museum!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Imo, I like Hunting Hitler much more than Oak Island. The amount of information for Hitler escaping Germany is amazing. And while I also believe they will never find factual evidence that he did flee instead of committing suicide, I do believe he did. 

Hunting Hitler has really gone downhill this season.  

They had a good run the first season.  Second season should have been rebranded Chasing Nazi's because the focus shifted from Hitler to other Nazi's.

Third season seems to be a mix of Hitler and other Nazi's but they're coming up with a theory that contradicts some of their evidence in S1

Then theres the over the top bad acting.  OMG we have found a Nazi sub!  Whose location has been known for decades and previously dived on.  But OMG we found a Nazi sub!

4 hours ago, mrags said:

Love the show however I will admit it’s basically a giant jerk off. They will never find anything of substance. Their riches and fame are created by sucking all of us in and keeping us watching. 

Hunting Hitler is awesome, every episode they find ton of info. Now it's to the point where there is no way hell  he committed suicide in that bunker.

The show on Tesla was interesting as well, wish it had more episodes.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Hunting Hitler is awesome, every episode they find ton of info. Now it's to the point where there is no way hell  he committed suicide in that bunker.

The show on Tesla was interesting as well, wish it had more episodes.

Completely disagree; the show is stupid, but I enjoy it because they go to a lot of historically interesting places and talk to people about that era of history, which I read about all the time and am fascinated with.

I've been to a lot of the places on the show including the spot of the Führer bunker in Berlin and so on.  

Read up on this period of history.  There were many witnesses to the joint suicides of Hitler and Eva Braun.

Hitler got cyanide capsules from his doctor.  He gave one to his German Shepard "Blondie", sadly killing her, to make sure the stuff still had its potency.  He was deathly afraid the cyanide would not work.

In the end, he bit down on an ampule while simultaneously shooting himself in the side of his head with a pistol.  Eva just bit an ampule; no gunshot for her.  Guards and a few others outside the little room where this took place in the bunker waited a few seconds after they heard the gunshot and then opened the door and went in.

They were both dead.  There are multiple corroborating accounts of how this whole episode played out.  It's interesting that Hitler only had the guts to finally do this when the Russian army was about 100 meters from the bunker.  His great fear was being capture alive and being paraded through Moscow like Vercingetorix in Rome, to be spat upon by the masses or God knows what.  He wasn't going to give that pleasure to Stalin. 

They were both taken outside the bunker via the "secret" back door into a yard of sorts, placed in a shallow, open trench, doused with gasoline, and set alight.

That's how Hitler died. 

The show is still fun to watch for other reasons previously mentioned.

Edited by Fadingpain

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Hunting Hitler has really gone downhill this season.  

They had a good run the first season.  Second season should have been rebranded Chasing Nazi's because the focus shifted from Hitler to other Nazi's.

Third season seems to be a mix of Hitler and other Nazi's but they're coming up with a theory that contradicts some of their evidence in S1

Then theres the over the top bad acting.  OMG we have found a Nazi sub!  Whose location has been known for decades and previously dived on.  But OMG we found a Nazi sub!

Hitler never went anywhere and died in his bunker in Berlin.  

However, there most certainly were a number of top Nazis who were evacuated out of Berlin in the dying moments of the Third Reich.  I wish the show would focus on some of their stories, as those escapes would be interesting to analyze.

Very late in the game, in April 1945, the Germans chopped down all the trees lining the sides of the street that is now called Strasse des 17. Juni.  

This is a huge, wide, straight thoroughfare that runs east/west and leads directly into the Brandenburg Gate.  It runs through the Tiergarten, a giant wooded parkland and site of the Berlin zoo. 

Hitler's architect, Albert Speer, went apeshit b/c when they moved back the tree line, they also chopped down his beloved, custom-designed street lights!  You can still see some of them in Berlin now.  

They were making a runway.  On this runway many Fieseler Storchs landed.  These are funny little parasol winged single piston engined aircraft that can only carry a few people.  They have enormous lift and are very light; they were like the helicopters of their day and could almost hover in a strong head wind.

They needed very little distance to take off and land, so they were ideal for the operation.

There are many documented accounts of these planes landing on the street and flying out various big shots.

Martin Bormann, for example, was never captured.  Himmler got out of Berlin initially, only to be captured a short time later, and so on.

There most certainly were real "escapes" from Berlin as the 1.5 million man Soviet army closed the noose on Berlin....but Hitler wasn't one of the men fleeing.

Fieseler Storch:

1200px-Fieseler_Storch_(7582553016).jpg

The road at the top of this photo leading into the Brandenburger Tor (with vehicle traffic on it) was the runway. 

videoblocks-brandenburg-gate-sun_s9x9iq9

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

However, there most certainly were a number of top Nazis who were evacuated out of Berlin in the dying moments of the Third Reich.  I wish the show would focus on some of their stories, as those escapes would be interesting to analyze.

Martin Bormann, for example, was never captured.  Himmler got out of Berlin initially, only to be captured a short time later, and so on.

There most certainly were real "escapes" from Berlin as the 1.5 million man Soviet army closed the noose on Berlin....but Hitler wasn't one of the men fleeing.

I agree 100%.  Hunting Hitler Season 1 presented a plausible theory but based entirely on circumstantial evidence

11 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Completely disagree; the show is stupid, but I enjoy it because they go to a lot of historically interesting places and talk to people about that era of history, which I read about all the time and am fascinated with.

I've been to a lot of the places on the show including the spot of the Führer bunker in Berlin and so on.  

Read up on this period of history.  There were many witnesses to the joint suicides of Hitler and Eva Braun.

Hitler got cyanide capsules from his doctor.  He gave one to his German Shepard "Blondie", sadly killing her, to make sure the stuff still had its potency.  He was deathly afraid the cyanide would not work.

In the end, he bit down on an ampule while simultaneously shooting himself in the side of his head with a pistol.  Eva just bit an ampule; no gunshot for her.  Guards and a few others outside the little room where this took place in the bunker waited a few seconds after they heard the gunshot and then opened the door and went in.

They were both dead.  There are multiple corroborating accounts of how this whole episode played out.  It's interesting that Hitler only had the guts to finally do this when the Russian army was about 100 meters from the bunker.  His great fear was being capture alive and being paraded through Moscow like Vercingetorix in Rome, to be spat upon by the masses or God knows what.  He wasn't going to give that pleasure to Stalin. 

They were both taken outside the bunker via the "secret" back door into a yard of sorts, placed in a shallow, open trench, doused with gasoline, and set alight.

That's how Hitler died. 

The show is still fun to watch for other reasons previously mentioned.

Not Buying It. Hitler Made Way Too Many Provisions To Escape , and that body they found could have been anybody. Saying Hitler died in the bunker is equivalent to Osama bin Laden being throne over board at sea, complete fabrication.

Anybody excited about this new show? :lol:

The Curse of Civil War Gold

New series premieres Tuesday, March 6 at 10 EP.

The Curse of Oak Island’s treasure hunters Rick and Marty Lagina have been approached by treasure seekers around the world who each offer their leads and seek advice. Recently, Marty learned of a mystery that rivals that of Oak Island, when he was introduced to fellow Michigan native, Kevin Dykstra and his team — men who are obsessed with a story of national treasure that goes back to the Civil War.

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Not Buying It. Hitler Made Way Too Many Provisions To Escape , and that body they found could have been anybody. Saying Hitler died in the bunker is equivalent to Osama bin Laden being throne over board at sea, complete fabrication.

I'm listening.  Whats your theory?

5 hours ago, Nervous Guy said:

Anybody excited about this new show? :lol:

The Curse of Civil War Gold

New series premieres Tuesday, March 6 at 10 EP.

The Curse of Oak Island’s treasure hunters Rick and Marty Lagina have been approached by treasure seekers around the world who each offer their leads and seek advice. Recently, Marty learned of a mystery that rivals that of Oak Island, when he was introduced to fellow Michigan native, Kevin Dykstra and his team — men who are obsessed with a story of national treasure that goes back to the Civil War.

Yes and no.  The concept of such a show sounds fascinating to me, and a lot of the "filler" the show will include will be interesting stuff if you are into history, treasure hunts, the Civil War, etc...

BUT...the show will probably look and smell much like the Oak Island show.  I.E., slowly paced, filled with repetitive shots before and after breaks to stretch out a lack of material long enough to fill an hour slot, etc.

I watched the new Oak Island show last night.  They now have this crazy redheaded woman on instead of doing testing on the lead cross or talking to real experts at, say, the University of Nova Scotia.  

The big "new lead" is her observation that the town next to Domme in France where they saw the image of the cross on the wall in the castle is Sarlat la Canéda.  There must be a connection! 

Nevermind the different spelling of the different root meaning of the words "Caneda" and "Canada" stemming from two different cultures and completely different linguistic trees.

The show insults the intelligence of the viewer, but this is common on these sorts of crappy mainstream American cable TV shows.  

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Yes and no.  The concept of such a show sounds fascinating to me, and a lot of the "filler" the show will include will be interesting stuff if you are into history, treasure hunts, the Civil War, etc...

BUT...the show will probably look and smell much like the Oak Island show.  I.E., slowly paced, filled with repetitive shots before and after breaks to stretch out a lack of material long enough to fill an hour slot, etc.

I watched the new Oak Island show last night.  They now have this crazy redheaded woman on instead of doing testing on the lead cross or talking to real experts at, say, the University of Nova Scotia. 

The filler stuff really pisses me off...hate it.  Is that red headed woman the same one they had the conference call with who called that cross "the find of the century"?  I swear sometimes I watch the show and it looks new, then they go about reviewing crap they had a few episodes before.  I can never tell if it's new or a repeat.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nervous Guy said:

The filler stuff really pisses me off...hate it.  Is that red headed woman the same one they had the conference call with who called that cross "the find of the century"?  I swear sometimes I watch the show and it looks new, then they go about reviewing crap they had a few episodes before.  I can never tell if it's new or a repeat.

It was a different woman with a terrible hair coloring job.  

The older woman on the conference call was hilarious.  "This is the gaaaaawddess Tawneeet.  They would have reveeee-awwww-ed huh and pwayed to huh."

Poor woman can't say "R"s.  It's that New England thing.

I love how they find something that calls for an expert to be called in, and instead of getting a Ph.D. in archeology or whatever   who could show them how to properly run a grid pattern, or a Ph.D in history to explain what they have found, they bring in "crazy lady" who appears to be a psychic or some such.

They are doing that b/c any respected member of the academic community would slam everything they are doing and offer insight/guidance as to how to do things properly, which would likely cast doubt on the integrity of their finds.

And yet I still watch!  If you DVR it and zip through the commercials it's not that bad.

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm listening.  Whats your theory?

When you have the body of your arch nemesis you don't throw him over board  for "for fear" of Islamic riots in your country. We have been in a war for a long time and were publicly perusing him and to think it would cause some kind of outrage is ridiculous. We could ask the seal team that captured him but they're all dead conveniently in a helicopter crash.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

When you have the body of your arch nemesis you don't throw him over board  for "for fear" of Islamic riots in your country. We have been in a war for a long time and were publicly perusing him and to think it would cause some kind of outrage is ridiculous. We could ask the seal team that captured him but they're all dead conveniently in a helicopter crash.

Got any proof?

On 2/20/2018 at 3:40 PM, Fadingpain said:

Very late in the game, in April 1945, the Germans chopped down all the trees lining the sides of the street that is now called Strasse des 17. Juni.  

This is a huge, wide, straight thoroughfare that runs east/west and leads directly into the Brandenburg Gate.  It runs through the Tiergarten, a giant wooded parkland and site of the Berlin zoo. 

Hitler's architect, Albert Speer, went apeshit b/c when they moved back the tree line, they also chopped down his beloved, custom-designed street lights!  You can still see some of them in Berlin now.  

They were making a runway.  On this runway many Fieseler Storchs landed.  These are funny little parasol winged single piston engined aircraft that can only carry a few people.  They have enormous lift and are very light; they were like the helicopters of their day and could almost hover in a strong head wind.

They needed very little distance to take off and land, so they were ideal for the operation.

There are many documented accounts of these planes landing on the street and flying out various big shots.

Fieseler Storch:

1200px-Fieseler_Storch_(7582553016).jpg

The road at the top of this photo leading into the Brandenburger Tor (with vehicle traffic on it) was the runway. 

videoblocks-brandenburg-gate-sun_s9x9iq9

Himmler was out of Berlin well before the Soviet attack - he was in Schleswig-Holstein at the end of the war, negotiating with the Swedes.  Bormann didn't escape, his remains were found in 1972, and conclusively identified in 1999. 

After the war, of senior Nazi leadership in Berlin, only Heinrich Mueller was unaccounted for (still is - most likely, he's in a mass grave somewhere in Berlin).  Everyone else was confirmed dead, or got out well before the Soviet offensive.  No one escaped that noose after Hitler's 56th birthday except Ribbentrop...because nobody really cared what Ribbentrop did at that point.

And no one who made it through the post-war ratlines to South America or Australia wasn't captured in the western zones of occupation.  No one made it out of Berlin - or anywhere else under Soviet control - to South America.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No, you identify the body and throw it overboard because it's hard to make a pilgrimage to a shrine to a martyr that's 12000 feet underwater.  Do you practice being this stupid, or is it a natural gift?

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Himmler was out of Berlin well before the Soviet attack - he was in Schleswig-Holstein at the end of the war, negotiating with the Swedes.  Bormann didn't escape, his remains were found in 1972, and conclusively identified in 1999. 

After the war, of senior Nazi leadership in Berlin, only Heinrich Mueller was unaccounted for (still is - most likely, he's in a mass grave somewhere in Berlin).  Everyone else was confirmed dead, or got out well before the Soviet offensive.  No one escaped that noose after Hitler's 56th birthday except Ribbentrop...because nobody really cared what Ribbentrop did at that point.

And no one who made it through the post-war ratlines to South America or Australia wasn't captured in the western zones of occupation.  No one made it out of Berlin - or anywhere else under Soviet control - to South America.

No, you identify the body and throw it overboard because it's hard to make a pilgrimage to a shrine to a martyr that's 12000 feet underwater.  Do you practice being this stupid, or is it a natural gift?

Plenty of guys got out and by the way, no one ever found Bormann's remains.

That's all conjecture and theory.

Himmler was in Berlin meeting Hitler for the last time on his b-day, 4/20/45.  Göring was there too at the same time.  He also escaped...to be captured later in the west, of course. 

How late does one have to be there to "escape" the advancing Soviet army in your book?

Edited by Fadingpain

11 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Plenty of guys got out and by the way, no one ever found Bormann's remains.

That's all conjecture and theory.

They identified his remains via a DNA match from a descendant.  That's not conjecture or theory.

Jesus, you are ignorant.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The SEAL guys that killed Bin Laden were not all killed in a helo crash. 

I'm not sure where you get your info.

In this 60 Minutes piece you can see/listen to one of the SEALS in the house when Bin Laden was killed tell you all the juicy details.

Unless you are asserting this is fake or he was paid to lie or God know what else.

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

They identified his remains via a DNA match from a descendant.  That's not conjecture or theory.

Jesus, you are ignorant.

You're such a !@#$ing freak!  If I had posted earlier than they proved Boorman died, you would assert he escaped and it was never proven.

You're a really odd person and the internet facilitates your weirdness unfortunately.

You need to interact with human in a face to face manner more often.  

Back on ignore you go, you freak!

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1