Rumor: Tops Markets to declare bankruptcy

\GoBillsInDallas/

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Hopefully Wegmans will put all grocery stores out of business eventually.

They are the Ferrari of supermarkets.

You need competition to keep the prices from skyrocketing.Wegmans prices seem to keep going up while Tops has been level.Who needs their Cafe when we have Tim Hortons..their Chinese selections are good but over priced..and those places are a dime a doz..Golden Dragon on Harlem for one example.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Until they bump heads with Walmart and Amazon

There is a Walmart about a mile away from the Wegmans Dick Rd location....that Wegmans store is as busy as ever..and they don't have a massive bus stop in front of it.Highest shop lifting crimes in Cheektowaga occur at the Walden Wal-Mart location.

You're looking at two different breeds of shoppers here..

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

There is a Walmart about a mile away from the Wegmans Dick Rd location....that Wegmans store is as busy as ever..and they don't have a massive bus stop in front of it.Highest shop lifting crimes in Cheektowaga occur at the Walden Wal-Mart location.

True, very different breeds of shoppers.

But I was hinting more at Amazon's corporate takeover of the world and Walmart's history of smiting competition

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

There's much to be said about the "breeding."

17 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I think the key here is Tops was sold to an equity firm, which tells me being a successful supermarket chain might not have been its primary goal. Ever see the movie Wall Street or heard of Mitt Romney and Bain Capital?

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

My wife used to be all about Tops until I took her to Price Chopper and Aldi. Now she sees Tops is usually the higher priced of the four (when including Wegmans) 

I wish we had a Price Chopper close. I loved ShopRite when we were in metro-NYC (for the sales - they truly had loss leaders!)

I can't stand Wegmans.  If I want a choice of one name-brand + one store-brand product selection, well I'd be all over Wegmans.  Now if I wanted to eat in a grocery store, Wegmans might be third or fourth on my list of chains for that.

From what I read it seems like a debt restructuring bankruptcy if it occurs.  The private equity buy-out seems to have come at a real premium. Today Burt Flickinger III was quoted in a Buffalo News article saying he'd be surprised if it happens immediately - sorta sounded like a never-say-never-but-I-don't-think-so quote. Who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

You need competition to keep the prices from skyrocketing.Wegmans prices seem to keep going up while Tops has been level.Who needs their Cafe when we have Tim Hortons..their Chinese selections are good but over priced..and those places are a dime a doz..Golden Dragon on Harlem for one example.

Got an (inchworm?) in my chicken with Broccoli there once.    It stood up on end and pivoted like it was looking around.

Probably hard to avoid 100% I would imagine.    But gotta wash the produce better.

That ended my relationship with Golden Dragon.

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

My wife used to be all about Tops until I took her to Price Chopper and Aldi. Now she sees Tops is usually the higher priced of the four (when including Wegmans) 

You are so right.   Aldi and Price Chopper are excellent for pricing compared to others.

Edited by PolishDave

On 2/17/2018 at 4:23 PM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Please, Please let Wegmans Buy All Their Stores!! 0:)

16 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Aldis is awesome, Never heafd of Price Chopper.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Please, Please let Wegmans Buy All Their Stores!! 0:)

That would just result in the closing of a bunch of current Tops stores

Much of Tops' market overlaps with Wegmans and the cost of bringing the existing Tops' locations up to Wegmans standard may not be worth it.