Mel Kiper's new Big Board and Position Rankings

DCOrange

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

If he flipped Mayfield with Allen then he would be right on.

He must get paid a lot to make obvious mistakes.

So unjust he makes a good living at it while you don’t 

35 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

What if we somehow end up with an extra 1st Rounder in 2019, don't take a quarterback in 2018 draft, and roll with Peterman/Vet/undrafted rookie in 2018, resulting in a 5-11 record and our own top 10 pick?  What if the top 4 guys in your opinion (and most analysts) is not their top 4? What if they have 1 guy rated as worthy of trading up for and they can't get there?  What if 2019 is the best QB class in the past 15 years? Why box yourself in with this nonsense?

I would be pissed...considering we made the playoffs last year.....

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

With Allen, it's all about perceived potential based on his physical makeup.  He's big, athletic, and has a cannon arm.  It doesnn't  hurt that he came from a somewhat pro style offense, but the physical traits are the big thing.

Right, but how do they explain away (or just ignore?) the 56% completion rate? That number and watching some of his misses concerns me. Don’t get me wrong, when he looks good he can look GREAT, but the whole picture is worrisome. And #1? 

The most important thing about the top 4 QBs in my opinion is their work ethic.  They all have seen the 1st spot from different analysts but who is gonna be the first guy in the building and the last to leave.  If I've learned one thing in my football watching days it's that sometimes a prospect can simply outwork everyone else.  Tom Brady looked like garbage before the draft.  Work ethic.  A ton of talent doesn't get you anywhere without work ethic and he didn't even have a ton of talent.  Personally, I'm a fan of Josh Allen who wasn't handed a huge scholarship by a big school.  He had to earn his right to be in this conversation (not saying others didn't but he's had an uphill climb).  He'll get a ton of flack from people who just stare at stats to come to a conclusion.  I hope the kid does well wherever he goes.  

36 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

What if we somehow end up with an extra 1st Rounder in 2019, don't take a quarterback in 2018 draft, and roll with Peterman/Vet/undrafted rookie in 2018, resulting in a 5-11 record and our own top 10 pick?  What if the top 4 guys in your opinion (and most analysts) is not their top 4? What if they have 1 guy rated as worthy of trading up for and they can't get there?  What if 2019 is the best QB class in the past 15 years? Why box yourself in with this nonsense?

2019 has no QB's. This one has 4-5. It's now or never

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Right, but how do they explain away (or just ignore?) the 56% completion rate? That number and watching some of his misses concerns me. Don’t get me wrong, when he looks good he can look GREAT, but the whole picture is worrisome. And #1? 

Rosen had a 59 percent completion percentage last year and a 62.6 this year.  Darnold had a 63 percent completion percentage and had a lot of turnovers.  Mayfield had a much higher completion percentage but played in an offensive style that makes it easier on the QB to complete passes.  Stats stats stats...some fans have watched 2 games on the kid and already have written him off.  I just find that lazy.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

Josh Allen had an awful season. Does that mean he is awful? Maybe, maybe not. But it doesn't make him no.1.

Can't believe my boy Riley Ferguson isn't on the list.

Never heard of no.10.

Chase Litton is the QB at Marshall. 6'6", 230+ lbs, a cannon of an arm, and he already has experience making adjustments at the LOS which is becoming increasingly rare in college. His footwork and accuracy are a mess though. He's like a very, very poor man's version of Josh Allen without the mobility. I like him as a guy to take in the 6th or 7th round if Buffalo wants to bring in 2 rookies.

33 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Where's Ferguson out of? And wasn't there some hype on the NC State kid? Ryan Finley or something... or did he choose to go back to school? Admittedly I am a bit out of the draft loop at the moment. 

Ryan Finley decided to return to NC State for his senior year when the draft won't be as deep at the QB position.

Edited by DCOrange

12 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

2019 has no QB's. This one has 4-5. It's now or never

I am all for getting a QB this year but next year certainly has some solid players who could breakout. Eason could step into the limelight out of Fromm's shadow with his new squad, Drew Lock could showout as the next gunslinger, Shea Patterson could also jump out for Michigan, Nick Fitzgerald is an interesting option, Clayton Thorson and Ryan Finley could improve as well.  Don't judge a class so far out that you don't really know who is in the mix.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have a 3rd round grade on him. I think he will go in the 1st... possibly even top 5. 

Right.

I could accept third on a low end for the grade, though I think he's a second at worst, but will be reached in the top15 at the lowest

My point was the guy calling him a "4th rounder AT BEST" was either a complete exaggeration or a complete lack of knowledge.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I am all for getting a QB this year but next year certainly has some solid players who could breakout. Eason could step into the limelight out of Fromm's shadow with his new squad, Drew Lock could showout as the next gunslinger, Shea Patterson could also jump out for Michigan, Nick Fitzgerald is an interesting option, Clayton Thorson and Ryan Finley could improve as well.  Don't judge a class so far out that you don't really know who is in the mix.  

I know all of those players and they aren't NFL ready, some are on their 2nd school because they weren't good enough to keep a job at the first. You are comparing guys like that to Rosen who is he best pocket passer since Andrew Luck, Allen who has the best arm maybe ever, Darnold who was said to be a sure thing #1 pick for 2 years now, Mayfield who might be better than all of them, even Jackson who might have won 2 heismans if he was on a better team. The guys you mentioned don't have the same kind of resume in the least

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

It's to the point now that if they draft well, they're going to end up running out of cap space when it comes time to sign all these guys to new contracts haha. IF they do trade down from 1 or 4, I expect that they'll trade up multiple other times throughout the draft to consolidate picks a little bit and make sure they get all the guys they really want.

Drafting well solves a lot of problems.  Worry about the contracts when they come due.  Further, stuff happens and one has to account for career ending injuries and players having career ending legal problems.  The bottom line is if you do not draft well year after year you are always going to have to overpay for various positions and struggle to man other positions with competent players due to the cap system.  This is the Brown's chance via having multiple picks to set the team up long term for success instead of putting Band-aids on every year.  If the Browns were really worried about signing players and losing player capital then they could always trade the least valued players one year prior to their contracts expiring.  I envy the position the Browns are in.

53 minutes ago, nucci said:

I would be pissed...considering we made the playoffs last year.....

And that is perfectly well within your right to be mad if that's what happens.  I wouldn't love it as a fan either.  I just maybe happen to see the state of the team differently, playoff-drought-breakage notwithstanding.  

13 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Drafting well solves a lot of problems.  Worry about the contracts when they come due.  Further, stuff happens and one has to account for career ending injuries and players having career ending legal problems.  The bottom line is if you do not draft well year after year you are always going to have to overpay for various positions and struggle to man other positions with competent players due to the cap system.  This is the Brown's chance via having multiple picks to set the team up long term for success instead of putting Band-aids on every year.  If the Browns were really worried about signing players and losing player capital then they could always trade the least valued players one year prior to their contracts expiring.  I envy the position the Browns are in.

They have been in this same position for quite a while now....its not that envious to me

8 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

If you say so.  It's weird because I want a QB this year.  Just not how I would think or speak about it.  I always try to remove my own ego/hubris.  Keyword: try

That's too bad. You should do your own research and form a well informed opinion and speak with conviction when questioned.

Just now, kdiggz said:

That's too bad. You should do your own research and form a well informed opinion and speak with conviction when questioned.

"2019 has no QB's. This one has 4-5. It's now or never" 

Two of your convictions in that statement could be right.  They could be wrong.  The only thing I'm confident in saying is that it is not now or never.

11 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

They have been in this same position for quite a while now....its not that envious to me

That happens more often than you think and to more teams than you think.  It takes a lot of things to come together to create a dynasty.  It's just how the league is when you look away from the dynasties.  It just takes lightning to strike in the right place and time with the right GM or coach.  Such as it was with us when Polian and Levy came along.  Do the Browns now have their own Polian and Levy?  Too early to tell.  Does not quite a few members of the board subscribe to bottoming out hard and then bounce to the top in part by having top 10 selections to work with?

Just now, Nineforty said:

"2019 has no QB's. This one has 4-5. It's now or never" 

Two of your convictions in that statement could be right.  They could be wrong.  The only thing I'm confident in saying is that it is not now or never.

If you take it literally then you would be correct. However it's like having a lottery where every year there is maybe 1 winner but this year there is a promotion where there will likely be 3-4 winners or more. There is only a promotion like this 2-3 times in your lifetime. Next year might have no winners. What would you do? If it's me, this is the year I'm doing whatever I can to get one of those tickets