Matt Harmon: Best Tight-Window Passers of 2017

It's true. It's true I say!

The only reason people in Buffalo don't appreciate Tyrod is because they don't know good when they see it!

Bu golly I hope any other team GM who is reading this gets on the phone right away and steals him from us for a 2nd round pick. 

And they should do it quick too before the Bills come to their senses! You should do it right now before some other teams gets there first!

• Haha (+1) 4

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:24 AM, RobH063 said:

"interwebs" Really? We're expected to take anything this Matt Harmon guy says seriously when he uses the word "interwebs". A made up word by some 14 year old? Taylor is a frickin train wreck! Bills fans are so used to having 2nd string QB's as starters for the past 20 years that they gobble up any garbage someone says about a Bills QB that isn't a slam on him. Then those fans think the Bills have the answer at QB. "Tyrod Taylor isn't a bad QB, see? Matt Harmon says so!"  Bills fans are so desperate to not have all of America crap on their team that they'll buy anything someone says that's positive about a player and then think the Bills can win a championship with what they already have. Bills fans shouldn't justify mediocrity unless you honestly think making the playoff's with a 9-7 record that required help from another team making a play on the very last play of the game, means the Bills had a good year. I got news for you. The Bills didn't have a good year. They had a lucky year and backed into the playoff's. Am I happy the drought is over? Sure I am but lets not think it was anything to write home about. The Bills are building a team. They aren't good yet. There's lots of improvement to be made. The QB is one of those improvements that needs to be made. Same thing is true of the Bills in general. Fans scour the Internet looking for any positive article to counter all the bad press the Bills get. You will never see many positive reports about the Bills until they put a good winning team on the field on a consistent basis.

I hear your argument and it makes complete sense.

ByThe Way: the word "interwebs" is used only to make fun of the intelligence level of said posters the user disagrees with.

Like misusing words and changing them like saying "Rocket Surgeon" as a 2nd level dig, because Rocket Scientist or Brain Surgeon use was not a good enough dig.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, RobH063 said:

The guy lined up behind the guard ready to take the snap! THE GUARD!!!! He didn't even know where he was on the field. How is he supposed to know where to throw the ball or when to throw the ball or IF he should throw the ball if he has no clue where he's supposed to be.

stop it already.....lol. It means nothing.

Many QB's have done this. 

22 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

It's true. It's true I say!

The only reason people in Buffalo don't appreciate Tyrod is because they don't know good when they see it!

Bu golly I hope any other team GM who is reading this gets on the phone right away and steals him from us for a 2nd round pick. 

And they should do it quick too before the Bills come to their senses! You should do it right now before some other teams gets there first!

Spot on! :)

Need Beane to convince the Browns FO of this and give us the 4th overall pick now. It's a damn good bargain....

Taylor can make all sorts of top 10 lists, except in the things that actually matter, like TD's, Yards, and Wins. Just basic QB things.

I give him props keeping the turnovers down. That IS a stat that matters. Unfortunately he does so at the expense of TD's and yards.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

Taylor can make all sorts of top 10 lists, except in the things that actually matter, like TD's, Yards, and Wins. Just basic QB things.

I give him props keeping the turnovers down. That IS a stat that matters. Unfortunately he does so at the expense of TD's and yards.

If we could just mix Fitz and Tyrod together we would have a franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/9/2018 at 3:18 PM, 1st&ten said:

The problem isn't that he can't throw into tight windows; it's that he doesn't read the field & coverages quick enough. How many receivers has he almost gotten killed over the last couple of years.

And yet, during 2015 & 2016 whenever he had Woods and Watkins on the field, this happened : 

63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs

Which isn't bad. This was over (15) games, over (2) years. Incidentally, three of those picks were from Taylor's second game starting, against the Patriots. 

So let's sum up with a Grand Unified Theory of Taylor :

• He can't read the field, except when he has NFL-grade receivers to throw to.
  • He doesn't understand coverages, except when he has NFL-grade receivers to throw to
  • He doesn't throw the ball downfield, except when he has NFL-grade receivers to throw to
  • He doesn't throw to his receivers, except when he has NFL-grade receivers to throw to
  • He doesn't throw touchdowns, except when he has NFL-grade receivers to throw to

Etc, etc, etc. People keep coming up with a laundry list of things Taylor is supposedly incapable of, but - surprise! - he seemed damn capable before the offense was stripped out from under him, both by injuries and the team's tendency to dump talent in a firesale. Hell, I'd go so far as to guess there was even some "throwing with anticipation" in the numbers above - everybody's favorite buzz-words cliche.....

Edited by grb
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, grb said:

And yet, during 2015 & 2016 whenever he had Woods and Watkins on the field, this happened : 

Which isn't bad. This was over (15) games, over (2) years. Incidentally, three of those picks were from Taylor's second game starting, against the Patriots. 

So let's sum up with a Grand Unified Theory of Taylor :

• He can't read the field, except when he has NFL-grade receivers to throw to.
  • He doesn't understand coverages, except when he has NFL-grade receivers to throw to
  • He doesn't throw the ball downfield, except when he has NFL-grade receivers to throw to
  • He doesn't throw to his receivers, except when he has NFL-grade receivers to throw to
  • He doesn't throw touchdowns, except when he has NFL-grade receivers to throw to

Etc, etc, etc. People keep coming up with a laundry list of things Taylor is supposedly incapable of, but - surprise! - he seemed damn capable before the offense was stripped out from under him, both by injuries and the team's tendency to dump talent in a firesale. Hell, I'd go so far as to guess there was even some "throwing with anticipation" in the numbers above - everybody's favorite buzz-words cliche.....

So! tell us some more about his stats from 3 years ago. Let it go man, Tyrod still sucks.

2013 Nick Foles:

64% comp. 9.1 YPA. 27 TD passes. 2 INTs 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

So! tell us some more about his stats from 3 years ago. Let it go man, Tyrod still sucks.

2013 Nick Foles:

64% comp. 9.1 YPA. 27 TD passes. 2 INTs 

Alright; we'll do it your way :

Taylor "sucks" - except when he has NFL-grade receivers to throw to.

Then he doesn't "suck".

But I imagine you might say that about a lot of quarterbacks...........

Edited by grb

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

And yet, the Eagles WRs ranked#26 on the list above. 

Not the fastest WR corps but playmakers.

Jeffery is maybe the #1 contested pass catching WR in the NFL.   Matchup winner.

Agholor was probably the RAC WR of the year in the NFL.........not because he was being "thrown open".........the balance, footwork and explosion he showed after he broke tackles lead to some of the leagues best WR highlights.   Matchup winner in the slot.

Torrey Smith..........a veteran deep threat but could also come back and make a vet play/tough catch(see SB).     He was an upgrade on Matthews because he brought that element of  pure speed they lacked.   Matchup winner or at least a tough matchup.

It was a well constructed group.........and a group they had together all offseason to work with Wentz versus what the Bills did with Matthews, Thompson and Benjamin all debuting with the team in-season.

Kelvin Benjamin has a chance to be a Jeffery-type player for the Bills THIS season.   Last season was a wash with him not suiting up till November,  immediately injuring his knee and never getting the playbook memorized.  

But they still lack matchup advantages at the X and the Y.

9 minutes ago, grb said:

Alrighty; we'll do it your way :

Taylor "sucks" - except when he has NFL-grade receivers to throw to.

Then he doesn't "suck".

But I imagine you might say that about a lot of quarterbacks...........

Except that a career backup so far, outperformed him in 10 starts compared to 15 for your boy.

Tyrod is good though, right! :thumbsup:

Please say again his numbers with SW and RW. Please

1 hour ago, PeterGriffin said:

Please say again his numbers with SW and RW. Please

If you insist : 

It's the 8.25 number that's really exceptional. You rarely see that number so high. In fact, using this year's (16) game regular season as a benchmark, no other quarterback's ypa was that large. I admit that's not apples to apples without factoring-in injuries to other quarterback's targets, but it's exceptional for any fifteen game stretch irregardless. Really makes those people claiming TT won't throw downfield look like fools........ 

Which brings us to the whole point of this exercise : Responding to all those long lists of Taylor's supposed irredeemable flaws.

Kinda funny how those "flaws" disappeared when the Bills fielded two good receivers, huh?

Edited by grb

1 minute ago, grb said:

If you insist : 

It's the 8.25 number that's really exceptional. You rarely see that number so high. In fact, using this years (16) game regular season as a benchmark, no other quarterback's ypa was that large. I admit that's not apples to apples without factoring-in injuries to other quarterback's targets, but it's still exceptional for any fifteen game stretch irregardless. Really makes those people claiming TT won't throw downfield look like fools........ 

Which brings us to the whole point of this exercise : Responding to all those long lists of Taylor's supposed irredeemable flaws.

Kinda funny how those "flaws" disappeared when the Bills fielded two good receivers, huh?

Ha, if you think that you're a fool!

21 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

30th and 27th in passing yards those seasons. 

0-1 playoff record is the ultimate result of Taylorball after 3 seasons.  

Uh huh:

30th in passing attempts by team in 2016

31 in passing attempts by team in 2015

Four Points :

• So throwing less results in less yards? Funny that....
  • To anticipate a response : The Bills announced themselves a heavily run-first team before Taylor was even signed, much less the starter
  • Fun fact : You know who averaged even less attempts than Taylor in '15? Teddy Bridgewater.  Wait 'til he's throwing to Zay & Brandon, huh?
  • A Bills fan whining about Taylor's playoff record as a Bill !!!  Hate drives people to say the most foolish things......

Edited by grb
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not the fastest WR corps but playmakers.

It was a well constructed group.........and a group they had together all offseason to work with Wentz versus what the Bills did with Matthews, Thompson and Benjamin all debuting with the team in-season.

Kelvin Benjamin has a chance to be a Jeffery-type player for the Bills THIS season.   Last season was a wash with him not suiting up till November,  immediately injuring his knee and never getting the playbook memorized.  

But they still lack matchup advantages at the X and the Y.

My point is that the separation stat is nebulous and doesn’t tell the full story regarding the effectiveness of an offense. Using that stat to hype up or beat down a QB is misleading.

Seeing what I did in the Superbowl, I agree with your points regarding the Eagles WRs. Didn’t see enough of them in the regular season to make a broader judgment. The fact still is that, in the Superbowl, there were contested catches and plays in which the Eagles WRs outplayed the DBs. But Foles was on fire. He was attempting those types of throws and putting them in tight windows (Clement TD).

Overall, I think a lot goes into the effectiveness of the passing offense and I dislike posts (not yours) that seek to pull out a single statistic and attempt to make broad judgments. The Bills suffered more from a patchwork and reactive approach towards the WR position mixed with some clear mistakes (Watkins, Woods)

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

My point is that the separation stat is nebulous and doesn’t tell the full story regarding the effectiveness of an offense. Using that stat to hype up or beat down a QB is misleading.

Seeing what I did in the Superbowl, I agree with your points regarding the Eagles WRs. Didn’t see enough of them in the regular season to make a broader judgment. The fact still is that, in the Superbowl, there were contested catches and plays in which the Eagles WRs outplayed the DBs. But Foles was on fire. He was attempting those types of throws and putting them in tight windows (Clement TD).

Overall, I think a lot goes into the effectiveness of the passing offense and I dislike posts (not yours) that seek to pull out a single statistic and attempt to make broad judgments. The Bills suffered more from a patchwork and reactive approach towards the WR position mixed with some clear mistakes (Watkins, Woods)

Yeah the Bills WR corps was just awful in many regards.

Separation was just one aspect.........it's just that this thread was about that aspect.

Zay Jones had some outright drops but he also might have been the WORST contested pass WR in the NFL this past season.   By mid-season Tyrod had really gotten in sync with Jones and was putting the ball where only Zay could catch it........but if a defender could get his hand near it Jones couldn't catch it.   The hope is that Jones turns into the kind of player Agholor is........Agholor had a bad start too.........but the reality is that you can't count on that when you have as bare of a cupboard at the position as the Bills have.

• Haha (+1) 1