Playoffs or high draft pick

berg1029

Playoffs or a high draft pick  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have preferred the Bills made the playoffs or get a shot at a top QB from the draft?

• Make playoffs-break 17 year playoff drought
    • Miss playoffs & have the opportunity to draft a franchise QB without trading up

23 minutes ago, billykay said:

So, if they do the trade you mention, they will then have left a 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th. The 1st will be the #3 pick. It seems to me that this is the reason that you accumulate draft capital.

First and second round picks should generally be starters.  So IMO, I would rather have the 2nd overall pick, ANOTHER first and two seconds.  Easy math.

42 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Related image

I'm with Vince on this one. Everytime we step on the field we should be trying to win.

Winning is a habit, winning begets winning. I fully believe that we can build on last years season.

"Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. ". -- Vince Lombardi

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ricojes said:

That's the OP's point.  Would you have rather sucked and had a shot at a top rated QB or gone to the playoffs.  I chose the latter.

I was agreeing with you. It just didn't come across that way

3 hours ago, berg1029 said:

Was discussing this with a few friends and there were mixed opinions.  Was just curious about everyone's take on this.  Would you prefer the Bill's didn't make the playoffs this past season, if it meant getting a shot at one of the top QBs in the draft (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, etc.)?

I'm going to refrain from giving my opinion in the op so I will not bias the poll

Berg, they finished 9-7 and lost in the first round of the playoffs while only scoring 3 points.

...and I am never going to forget those 8 days for the rest of my life.

Gentlemen, to the Playoffs... :beer:  Dilly Dilly.

I was on board with the switch to Peterman, even assuming it meant we had a good chance of losing out.

Making the playoffs, and everything that followed (Kyle Williams celebrating with this kids, the whole locker room celebrating, the fans at the airport, etc....) were awesome, and I'm glad they did it and I got that experience.

So I guess, both. :huh:

44 minutes ago, nucci said:

and a 1-31 record the last 2 seasons

Like they say sometimes you have to bottom out before you reach the top.  2-14 season in 1984, 2-14 season in 1985, and a 4-12 1986 got us Bruce Smith, Wil Wolford, Shane Conlan, and Nate Odomes to name a few.  Before we knew it we were reaching the AFC title game.  Further, in 1986 Levy did not have the reputation to suggest he would CEO the Bills to the Super Bowl.  He was a .500 coach with KC plus did time in the CFL.  

17 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Like they say sometimes you have to bottom out before you reach the top.  2-14 season in 1984, 2-14 season in 1985, and a 4-12 1986 got us Bruce Smith, Wil Wolford, Shane Conlan, and Nate Odomes to name a few.  Before we knew it we were reaching the AFC title game.  Further, in 1986 Levy did not have the reputation to suggest he would CEO the Bills to the Super Bowl.  He was a .500 coach with KC plus did time in the CFL.  

Right but a different era...there are only 7 rounds in the draft as opposed to 12...free agency and a salary cap....you don't need to hit the bottom to become a good team

11 hours ago, berg1029 said:

Was discussing this with a few friends and there were mixed opinions.  Was just curious about everyone's take on this.  Would you prefer the Bill's didn't make the playoffs this past season, if it meant getting a shot at one of the top QBs in the draft (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, etc.)?

I'm going to refrain from giving my opinion in the op so I will not bias the poll

Fair question...but its hands down playoffs.  To be able to win in the NFL, it starts with the locker room and the mental part of the game.  Talent only takes you so far and will never get you over the hump if you dont have the right culture with the team.  Getting the 17 year monkey off this teams back was huge.  Remember, the players on the field have to carry the burden of all the past bad rosters even though they weren't on this team all 17 years.  

So for me, I would take without question making the playoffs and finally changing the culture here.  Especially given how many great draft picks we have while also having like the 5th or 6th most cap room in the NFL to also fill some holes in FA.  

Edited by Alphadawg7