ESPN: Resetting the 2018 QB Market (Interesting Bills comment)

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the Hyde and Poyer finds as well as letting Gilmore walk make me think that Gaines despite his contribution, walks because of health and possible money demands....as far as QB, I'm GUESSING that they look for a two year bridge vet (McCown?... McCarron depending on 2/15 RFA/UFA ruling?...'Zona's Stanton?....???)   to groom the 1st round draft QB pick and Peterman......not seeing college ball and only depending on what I read, it is more and more sounding like Rudolph is their guy at 21/22, a safe but unsexy pick.......

I don't really get the hate for Tyrod to the point where people think McCown and McCarron and Drew God awful Stanton are the QB's they want to replace Tyrod with. That's not to sing the praises of Tyrod, I think he is a slightly below average QB but the rest of the market isn't better than him. 

As far as Gaines it all depends on his cost but he was a stud when he played. If Gaines comes in around 7 Average annual value with a decent but not crippling guarantee I think they resign him. They traded for him so they must have liked his play and he fits their system perfectly. 

Injuries are a concern but when he plays he is a top 25 CB in my mind. So 7 million Average annual value puts him right around 25 as far as cost and that is very justifiable and the Bills shouldn't be kept from signing Cousins by committing 7 million to keeping their 2nd corner. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Who in the NFL isn't?

They're all giving the glory to God and praising Jesus every chance they get.

You see these post-game prayer circles with players taking a knee and there are like 30 of them in there.

Belichick may actually be the Devil, so there's that.

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

they should pray on their own time, football game isn't the place for this type of demonstration. It's insulting to those in the military that aren't religious.

Will we be able to get a 1st round QB?  That's still up in the air.

....just a guess, but I would think that it is a distinct possibility with two picks.....prognostications show 4, 5, or even 6 going in the top 10 let alone the 1st.......predict it and you'll be an instant billionaire.....:thumbsup:

35 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't see the Bills having the cap space to pull it off and make it look appealing to Cousins. If they cut Tyrod they have 43 million in cap space. Cousins is going to command 25-30 million of that space. That leaves very little money to upgrade other areas of the roster. Granted if they sign Cousins they have 4 picks in the first two rounds to actually make something happen but if I am not sure you can sell Cousins on upgrading the rest of the roster with a bunch of draft picks. 

Maybe the Bills can defer some of Cousins cap number to 2019 when Dareus, Wood, and other cap penalties fall off (Plus some contracts fall off the books.) Then they can still make a couple of modest signings (Resign Gaines and maybe find a decent DT like Star.)

But then you have to question is Cousins going to put you in a situation like Joe Flacco did to Baltimore. Committing big money to an average to above average QB compromises the rest of the roster and locks you into mediocrity. But if you think Cousins can be a very good QB and you just acquire him for cap space you then actually can push into contention. 

I don't think you should underrate both of those facts.

1. If they get Cousins they don't have to use any of that capital on a QB (including possibly trading up).

2. The Bills WILL defer that cap number b/c Cousins will insist on a big bonus (aka guaranteed cash) up front, which WILL be spread out over the contract for cap purposes.

Just now, BobChalmers said:

1. If they get Cousins they don't have to use any of that capital on a QB (including possibly trading up).

2. The Bills WILL defer that cap number b/c Cousins will insist on a big bonus (aka guaranteed cash) up front, which WILL be spread out over the contract for cap purposes.

I would love to see that happen. If they can resign Gaines, sign Cousins, and maybe squeak in a run stuffer at DT like Star I would call that off-season a massive success as they can go into the draft and really do some damage. I know the Dolphins gave Suh a deal where he had a small cap number year one and then it spiked back up. I wouldn't mind seeing that happen with Cousins since 2019 has a massive windfall of cap space coming the Bills way. 

But if can't land Cousins I think Tyrod stays on the roster and they draft a rookie QB. 

5 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

We could easily sign him if we want.

Will be interesting.

47 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't see the Bills having the cap space to pull it off and make it look appealing to Cousins. If they cut Tyrod they have 43 million in cap space. Cousins is going to command 25-30 million of that space. That leaves very little money to upgrade other areas of the roster. Granted if they sign Cousins they have 4 picks in the first two rounds to actually make something happen but if I am not sure you can sell Cousins on upgrading the rest of the roster with a bunch of draft picks. 

Maybe the Bills can defer some of Cousins cap number to 2019 when Dareus, Wood, and other cap penalties fall off (Plus some contracts fall off the books.) Then they can still make a couple of modest signings (Resign Gaines and maybe find a decent DT like Star.)

But then you have to question is Cousins going to put you in a situation like Joe Flacco did to Baltimore. Committing big money to an average to above average QB compromises the rest of the roster and locks you into mediocrity. But if you think Cousins can be a very good QB and you just acquire him for cap space you then actually can push into contention. 

Dareus cap penalty is zero, he was traded along with his contract no? 

2 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Dareus cap penalty is zero, he was traded along with his contract no? 

No they are eating a 14 million dollar penalty this season, apparently, the rules in the NFL are that you have to eat the bonus money when a player is traded. It makes no sense to me as I thought that once you trade a player he is completely on the team but that's just how the cap works. I think the logic is that the bonus has already been paid so you are taking the penalty for the remainder of that amount. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

No they are eating a 14 million dollar penalty this season, apparently, the rules in the NFL are that you have to eat the bonus money when a player is traded. It makes no sense to me as I thought that once you trade a player he is completely on the team but that's just how the cap works. I think the logic is that the bonus has already been paid so you are taking the penalty for the remainder of that amount. 

...it is amortized over the life of his contract......never thought Beane/McD would do it, but it sure as hell says their personnel decisions won't be stymied by cap hits versus principle....good message or bad financial decision?............

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...it is amortized over the life of his contract......never thought Beane/McD would do it, but it sure as hell says their personnel decisions won't be stymied by cap hits versus principle....good message or bad financial decision?............

In 2019 they are completely free of any cap penalties related to Dareus. It's a long-term play to eat the money and take a mid-round pick for him in 2018 (Which is a kick in the balls because they lost a good player and are still having a chunk of their cap dedicated to him and all they got for it was a 5th round selection) but in 2019 they will have a windfall of cap space thanks to his money coming off the books.

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

In 2019 they are completely free of any cap penalties related to Dareus. It's a long-term play to eat the money and take a mid-round pick for him in 2018 (Which is a kick in the balls because they lost a good player and are still having a chunk of their cap dedicated to him and all they got for it was a 5th round selection) but in 2019 they will have a windfall of cap space thanks to his money coming off the books.

...nicely done bud.......

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Probably the worst part of the Dareus pick is the incredible talent in that draft.  Cam, Von, A. J Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio, JJ Watt, Richard Sherman, Tyron Smith, Aldon Quinn, Justin Houston, Mo Wilkerson, Mike Pouncey etc.  I think every one of those guys is still with their original team and elite.     And we got stuck with the one kid who just never grew up.     Sucks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Who in the NFL isn't?

They're all giving the glory to God and praising Jesus every chance they get.

You see these post-game prayer circles with players taking a knee and there are like 30 of them in there.

Rappers too. New fad. Huddle up!!!

37 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Probably the worst part of the Dareus pick is the incredible talent in that draft.  Cam, Von, A. J Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio, JJ Watt, Richard Sherman, Tyron Smith, Aldon Quinn, Justin Houston, Mo Wilkerson, Mike Pouncey etc.  I think every one of those guys is still with their original team and elite.     And we got stuck with the one kid who just never grew up.     Sucks. 

Very Billsy of them...or maybe just what happens to them

On 2/7/2018 at 8:33 PM, Da webster guy said:

Buddy wanted Cam and Von but we had the third pick. Julio and AJ Green probably would have never developed with the piss poor QB play the team had from 2011-2014. JJ Watt and Peterson hurt but Dareus ended up being one of the best players at his position for a short period of time, the just lost his edge when he got paid but even now is still a good capable player. The Bills run defense collapsed without him and the Jags went from one of the worst run defenses to a top 10 run defense with him. 

Not every one of those guys on your list is elite however, Mo Wilkerson was never more than a very good player and is like gone from the Jets. Aldon Smith is no longer in the league I think and faded after 2-3 great years to start his career. Robert Quinn also has fallen off steeply the past 2 years as well. 2011 was a really talented draft class but in all honesty the Bills didn't do bad with Dareus as much as they handled him poorly and there were better option on the board in hindsight.