Yes or no to a stopgap QB?

Luxy312

Should the Bills go after yet another journeyman QB as a stopgap between the presumed QB of the future that they're supposed to get in the draft?  If you go after and pay for a guy like Kirk Cousins, you're clearly getting your guy for the next 6-8 years or maybe even more.  There are a LOT of guys out there though that could serve in that interim role.  What do people think?  Personally, I say no.  This team has been doing the "stopgap" thing for two decades.  If they draft a rookie QB early, I say they start Peterman and then the rookie if need be mid-season.  

5 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

Should the Bills go after yet another journeyman QB as a stopgap between the presumed QB of the future that they're supposed to get in the draft?  If you go after and pay for a guy like Kirk Cousins, you're clearly getting your guy for the next 6-8 years or maybe even more.  There are a LOT of guys out there though that could serve in that interim role.  What do people think?  Personally, I say no.  This team has been doing the "stopgap" thing for two decades.  If they draft a rookie QB early, I say they start Peterman and then the rookie if need be mid-season.  

If you are saying bet the farm and trade up into the top 5 then no.  I don't see a Peyton Manning in any of the prospects.  In other words a top rated prospect that is pretty much plug in and play plus expect short term results.

2 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

What exactly has Peterman shown you that you would want him to start? 

And if they draft a rookie and start Peterman for the time being...wouldn't that make him, in fact a stop gap?

It's all about what he hasn't shown anyone (like the ability to play QB in the NFL) that gets his fan boys going...

Bills fans get excited when they here potential

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

And if they draft a rookie and start Peterman for the time being...wouldn't that make him, in fact a stop gap?

The answer is NAFT.   If Peterman starts, it's just a gap.  If they draft a rookie other than Rosen or possibly Mayfield, then they will need someone as a bridge QB. 

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's all about what he hasn't shown anyone (like the ability to play QB in the NFL) that gets his fan boys going...

Bills fans get excited when they here potential

Agreed, everyone hear is a fanboy for NP.

7 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Nothing, and that's the point.  Why pay someone else to be a placeholder for a couple of years, just for the sake of filling in a position with mediocre talent?  Taylor, Bradford, Bridgewater, Henne, Stanton, McCown, etc. would all get a decent paycheck to be starters here.  Why bother if they're not the future.  For Peterman, he's under contract through 2020 and they can basically wait and see what they have with him.

2 minutes ago, Guffalo said:

Agreed, everyone hear is a fanboy for NP.

I am not.  I think he will likely fail for the record.  None the less, I don't think that should preclude him getting the opportunity.  In a way, I thought the on again/off again thing with Manuel pretty much ruined any chance he had to show us anything.  Don't want the same to happen here.

17 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

If you are saying bet the farm and trade up into the top 5 then no.  I don't see a Peyton Manning in any of the prospects.  In other words a top rated prospect that is pretty much plug in and play plus expect short term results.

This is precisely why one of them is bound to be a franchise HOF player.

If the experts were calling the top QBs "can't miss superstars" I'd be worried!

12 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

Nothing, and that's the point.  Why pay someone else to be a placeholder for a couple of years, just for the sake of filling in a position with mediocre talent?  Taylor, Bradford, Bridgewater, Henne, Stanton, McCown, etc. would all get a decent paycheck to be starters here.  Why bother if they're not the future.  For Peterman, he's under contract through 2020 and they can basically wait and see what they have with him.

I am not.  I think he will likely fail for the record.  None the less, I don't think that should preclude him getting the opportunity.  In a way, I thought the on again/off again thing with Manuel pretty much ruined any chance he had to show us anything.  Don't want the same to happen here.

We can get EJ  back .  He's not going to be under contract once new league year starts.

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

The assumption on this thread is that TT won’t be around to be the stop gap. 

That would be the assumption.  I can't see the Bills paying him $16m for another season based on his productivity last year.  

30 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

At minimum go after another bridge QB and hope he can get the Bills into a truly balanced run pass offense and return to the playoffs.   

TT's 4th (8th professional) season won't change who he is.   If things were going to change we would have seen it by this time.  

If you can sign Kirk Cousins, do it.

If #21 / #22 / 2019 1st / ~ 4th rounder gets you Rosen or Darnold, do it.

Otherwise take one of Mayfield, Allen, Jackson if they fall to 21.  It someone will give a mid round pick for Tyrod, cash him in, otherwise I think people are overestimating the level of QB who may be available.  Bradford is the high end (I'm not into trading anything significant for Foles unless we get Frank Reich and Zack Ertz with him), but McCown / Fitzpatrick / Matt Moore is the more realistic landing area.

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

At minimum go after another bridge QB and hope he can get the Bills into a truly balanced run pass offense and return to the playoffs.   

TT's 4th (8th professional) season won't change who he is.   If things were going to change we would have seen it by this time.  

Only way TT is a stop gap is if you draft a QB with the same skill set as his. The offense has to be taylored to him and his play style and that is what limits him as a stop gap imo...

Peterman isn’t an option. That is clear.

In terms of a stop gap, it depends on the player that you pick in the draft. If it is Rosen or Mayfield you can add a guy that is meant to be a backup. I’ve thrown out Trevor Siemian if he shakes loose. He’s not great but can play for a couple of weeks for cheap.

If I get a guy like Allen or Jackson that needs to sit a year, a stopgap is necessary. That would be Bradford, Tyrod, Teddy, Keenum, or McCown. There may be some others too but a guy that can play for a year. 

12 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

That would be the assumption.  I can't see the Bills paying him $16m for another season based on his productivity last year.  

Problem is his dead cap number is already $8 mil.  It's almost a wash to go with a "cheap" option like McCown / Fitzpatrick / Moore vs just keeping Tyrod.  IF we get a legitimate QB prospect we like and IF someone will trade a pick for Tyrod it's one thing to move on, but to cut Tyrod just to cut Tyrod and end up with a cap neutral move on a lesser QB doesn't seem prudent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

In terms of a stop gap, it depends on the player that you pick in the draft. If it is Rosen or Mayfield you can add a guy that is meant to be a backup. I’ve thrown out Trevor Siemian if he shakes loose. He’s not great but can play for a couple of weeks for cheap.

If I get a guy like Allen or Jackson that needs to sit a year, a stopgap is necessary. That would be Bradford, Tyrod, Teddy, Keenum, or McCown. There may be some others too but a guy that can play for a year. 

What are your thoughts on Allen btw?

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Please no Siemian!  He's horrid.  I also wouldn't want McCown as he's too brittle and not very good. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Only way TT is a stop gap is if you draft a QB with the same skill set as his. The offense has to be taylored to him and his play style and that is what limits him as a stop gap imo...

which is why I have been saying for the last season and a half ....   dump TT   

• Like (+1) 1