Congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles, a city & team that's easy to respect

LA Grant

lol dude the Vet had its own jail and judge for years (Eagles court still exists, it's just not at the Linc), Philly fans hated Donovan McNabb right up through his departure (gee, I wonder why), and they friggin' booed Santa Claus.  And don't get me started on Phillies fans.

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

A city and team easy to respect? Really?

Yeah, that was my reaction to that post too. The only team on planet Earth that could make me pull for the Eagles is (my hatred for) the Patriots.

However, my hatred for Philly is more their obnoxious-ass fans.  They have a really likable group of guys from the coaching staff, players, and everything. I mean if you couldn't cheer for a group of backup QBs (Pederson, Reich, and Foles)... then you're a party pooper. Especially when they're playing against the evil empire. I had no problem cheering for them last night!

Edited by CLTbills

Love Philly, seen many great concerts there, always great crowds and great times.

!@#$ Boston, it was a pleasure for me to spit on the Green Monster when leaving the field after the Stones tour opener in 2005. Last night’s game was a wicked pissah, you #%^*ing chowderheads. :D

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, LA Grant said:

Congratulations to Philadelphia and Eagles fans on their first Super Bowl victory. A great game. Unwanted backup qb Nick Foles outduels Tom Brady. Overcoming a few terrible calls/non-calls. 

I would've been rooting for Philly over any of the AFC teams, but the fact that it was against the Patriots was doubly satisfying. The lack of pressure on Brady for 80% of the game and then coming through strong in the last moments, still mostly only 4 man rushes, was the Schwartz D at its best. 

I've always felt like the Bills and Eagles were cousin franchises — both had a string of consecutive almost Super Bowl wins; Eagles fans are diehards, just like Bills fans; the people are similar. They get a bad rep for being obnoxious but then again #BillsMafia has made the team synonymous with jumping through tables. The Eagles & Bills have never had any rivalry, so unless it's just bringing in animosity from the Broad Street Bully Flyers or the 90s Flyers or whatever screw the Flyers, but the Eagles are solid in my book -- they've always had guys like Brian Dawkins who were just great players. Randall Cunningham. I liked McNabb, from Syracuse. 

The Vikings & Bills have some similar franchise history but outside of Minneapolis & Buffalo both being cold, the fanbases/cities aren't that similar, imo. Cleveland & Buffalo are similar towns but the franchises aren't, really - the Bills have had hope from time to time. 

Point is — I'm happy for the Philadelphia Eagles. I'm happy for friends who are Eagles fans, and friends from Philly who aren't even hardcore football fans but still know how much it means to everyone they know back home.

I'm happy for the former Bills who played great in Buffalo and continued to do so in Philly — Nigel Bradham, Ronald Darby, Corey Graham. Jim Schwartz. Frank Reich. I wish all of them were still with the Bills but it is what it is. They deserve to have this victory. And because it can't be said enough — screw the Patriots.

Nick Foles is Super Bowl MVP.  Case Keenum and Blake Bortles were in the Championship games. Tyrod Taylor took the Bills to the playoffs. Anything can happen.

Their fans cheer when opposing players get hurt.

7 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Are you high?

It's apparent you've never spent any time here. City is great. People in it not so much.

Also, Tyrod Taylor will never ever EVER be a super bowl QB.

Ever.

Take it to the bank.

TT and Hauschka both have rings, I think that’s it on the Bills. :D

Edited by Rico

I know many Eagles fans and have been to Phillies, Eagles and Flyers games.  Generally speaking, Philadelphia fans are no different than fans anywhere else (Flyer fans might be an exception).  The idea that they are somehow "trashier" than fans in other locations is simply a myth.   Sure, there is certainly an element that is obnoxious and out of control, but it is the same element that exists in other fan bases.  For example, I was at a Red Sox game at Fenway in the 80's when I saw what looked like an entire section of Boston fans descend on a family of Tiger's fans, tear apart a sign they were holding and steal hats off of the kids' heads.  I was at the Bills v. Eagles game in Philly  in 2015 and nobody gave me a hard time.   The Eagles have a dedicated and long suffering fan base, much like the Bills.  I am happy for them.  

• Like (+1) 1

Again with the use of this word???  Come on people, let's stop using words that could potentially 'hurt' people....

10 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Really? Get a life? You do know the fans are there lighting fires and flipping over cars right? Obviously the city isn’t burning to the ground, Jesus are you guys !@#$ing retarded?

• Like (+1) 1

I like how we judge an entire fanbase based on a few bad apples and then we get mad at the media trying to portray all of us lighting each other on fire at our tailgates. Look through the filters and see an extremely passionate and loyal fanbase finally getting what we're dreaming about. Congrats to them, hooray for parody, and let's go Buffalo!!!

Edited by ProcessTheTrust

4 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Again with the use of this word???  Come on people, let's stop using words that could potentially 'hurt' people....

You'll find quite a few people on here who just don't give a crap.  It's sad and it's ignorant.

• Like (+1) 1

Look, i know the PC crap can get out of control, but no one here knows what someone else is dealing with in their lives, they may have a gay child, they may have a family member that struggles with addictions, they may have an acquaintance that is dealing with mental health issues.  These words diminish people and it makes it harder to face it in an open manner.  We are in the 2010's for chirstsakes.  We are all people trying the best we can to get through each day, we don't need words attached that might have negative connotations and further add to any sort of stigma.

OK, off my soapbox.  Go Bills, and yes, I am very happy for my new home region of Philadelphia and their fans.

Just now, Gugny said:

You'll find quite a few people on here who just don't give a crap.  It's sad and it's ignorant.

• Like (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Lol

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Lol

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

Yeah, that was my reaction to that post too. The only team on planet Earth that could make me pull for the Eagles is (my hatred for) the Patriots.

However, my hatred for Philly is more their obnoxious-ass fans.  They have a really likable group of guys from the coaching staff, players, and everything. I mean if you couldn't cheer for a group of backup QBs (Pederson, Reich, and Foles)... then you're a party pooper. Especially when they're playing against the evil empire. I had no problem cheering for them last night!

I should have said city and fans, the team doesn't seem that bad.

I don't hate the Eagles, but calling the city and fans there easy to respect? Philly teams are well known for having some of the worst fans, known for cheering other players injuries, throwing batteries, throwing full beer cans at fans just walking to games. Sure every fan base has some bad apples, but in Philly the good fans are outnumbered by the trash ones.....

1 minute ago, Like A Mofo said:

Yes because I know Buffalo fans can't admit this but they have much more in common with Philadelphia fans then they realize.

I bet Buffalo fans have even more in common with Dallas and Atlanta fans.

25 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I should have said city and fans, the team doesn't seem that bad.

I don't hate the Eagles, but calling the city and fans there easy to respect? Philly teams are well known for having some of the worst fans, known for cheering other players injuries, throwing batteries, throwing full beer cans at fans just walking to games. Sure every fan base has some bad apples, but in Philly the good fans are outnumbered by the trash ones.....

They just have high standards, no need to ever apologize for that. :D

I do not see Philly fans and Buffalo fans having much in common at all.  Yes, both are diehard and both are crazy about their teams and get wild to demonstrate it.   It ends there. 

I have ave a friend and coworker from Philly and he is amazed at the loyalty of Bills fans.  The turnout after losing SB XXV was his example.  He said Norwood would have been run out of town.  The fans at the airport after the playoff loss to Jax had him shaking his head.  In Philly you win or you suck!  

Philly fans can be mean spirited and have a reputation for ganging up on visitors when on their turf.  I go to Bills and Sabres games every year and there lots of fans safely cheering for the other team.  Sure, sometimes Bills fans get out of control but Philly has another level or two or three  of hostility.   

Just ask Viking fans.  https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/02/minnesota-vikings-fans-super-bowl-52-eagles-abusive

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 3