Schefter: Washington Considering the Franchise Tag for Cousins

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Once Cousins signs, it makes him tradeable, not untradeable.  The receiving team is free to negotiate a long term contract with Cousins, and would presumably (as with Smith) settle on mutually acceptable terms before executing the trade.  They can negotiate a 5 year contract that gives him a $50M signing bonus prorated over 5 years and a salary of $0.01 in 2018 but a salary of $27M next year. 

You cannot take salary below minimum level for number of years experience so it cannot be $0.01.

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

100% that should be his plan 

I was diagnosed with it with no medical evidence ; only when the "treatment" almost made me crippled did they go beyond their "scientific judgement" to discover a tumor the size of a golf ball in ankle so I know how subjecting that diagnosis is and there is no medical evidence to back it up.

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Who knows what would really happen but I am not only a crazy person, but it's Super Bowl Sunday and I have been drinking shots of Jameson all day, more than people named Jameson with a coupon in Dublin on St. Patrick's Day after their dead old 95 year old mother died. But why wouldn't Cousins say to any team that is about to sign him, "Don't trade anyone to those bastards. They are not going to keep me. I want all the picks and players on my new team I can keep. You're my new guys now. Call their bluff. I'm signing with you."

Hopefully you're sober now. ;)

I'd say because more than one team wants him.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/31/2018 at 12:06 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bottom Line: He's headed to UFA.

Yes, I now understand why a tag and trade is highly unlikely - but it may be the only way a team like the Bills could get a legitimate shot at Cousins.

----------------------------------------------

I thought we already discussed this?

1 minute ago, AdamK said:
  On 1/31/2018 at 12:06 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bottom Line: He's headed to UFA.

Yes, I now understand why a tag and trade is highly unlikely - but it may be the only way a team like the Bills could get a legitimate shot at Cousins.

----------------------------------------------

I thought we already discussed this?

We did, but Washington's front office is contemplating taking advantage of the Franchise Tag to extract compensation for Cousins.