Schefter: Washington Considering the Franchise Tag for Cousins

15 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Not worth the risk for Washington.  Just take the comp pick in 2019 and be done with the situation.

They might try to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2018 in exchange for his rights. Risky proposition unless they work out a deal in advance with another team. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Not worth the risk for Washington.  Just take the comp pick in 2019 and be done with the situation.

11 minutes ago, Yo no se said:

I would love if They did this and the rest of the NFL called their bluff. $34 million dollar backup. 

6 minutes ago, ALF said:

Teams can rescind the franchise or transition tag -- as we saw with Josh Norman last year -- if the offer sheet hasn't been signed.

Once the sheet is signed, the player's salary is guaranteed for that season

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785958/article/what-to-know-about-nfl-franchise-tag-designations

This would be great. He should just sign the offer sheet immediately. He can pretty much call their bluff by threatening to do that. I would think that they would have to rescind it if he said he would sign it. 

Imagine if it got to a situation where the Skins tagged him, he signed and then they had to start attaching assets to unload his giant contract (a la Brock Osweiler)? That would be hilarious.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 5

Honestly, I’m in the minority but I think this is smart. Because, while it’s possible every other team says No thanks, it’s much more proabable a team like the Jets offers them a second round pick and sign him long term, and if they don’t, SOMEONE will offer a 3rd, and that means Skins get something guaranteed without pinning hopes on Comp pick. 

To me, they see high demand with little supply and believe they use the market to their advantage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

Honestly, I’m in the minority but I think this is smart. Because, while it’s possible every other team says No thanks, it’s much more proabable a team like the Jets offers them a second round pick and sign him long term, and if they don’t, SOMEONE will offer a 3rd, and that means Skins get something guaranteed without pinning hopes on Comp pick. 

To me, they see high demand with little supply and believe they use the market to their advantage.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think it makes total sense

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

Good points indeed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

The problem is that if no one wants to pick up the $34 million salary in the trade, the Deadskins just sunk ~25% of their salary cap after trading for Alex Smith.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, papazoid said:

not happening

redskins will only hurt themselves

cousins will outwit them by making them wish they hadn't

Washington could not trade him until he signs the franchise tag, and if Cousins wanted, he could delay signing it for weeks or even months, with the Redskins having to count his approximate $34.5 million against their salary cap. (HINDERING  THEIR OWN ABILITY TO SIGN FREE AGENTS)

Cousins also could tell any of Washington's potential trade partners that he is unwilling to sign a long-term deal there, dampening that team's enthusiasm for surrendering a top draft pick for his services and holding up any potential trade.

If Washington decided to pull the franchise tag to get Cousins' contract off its salary cap, it would lose the right to recoup a 2019 compensatory draft pick that it would get if Cousins were able to leave right away as a free agent. So tagging Cousins would undoubtedly carry risk. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22315705/washington-redskins-consider-placing-franchise-tag-kirk-cousins

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

You think someone offers a 3rd round pick if Cousins says he won't sign an extension and this team has to pay him $35 million for a one year rental?