Tyrod Wants to Stay with the Bills, but Won't Take Another Pay Cut

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

Tyrod's career has been well above the NFL average so that doesn't really apply either.  This isn't his first payday.

Might be his last though. If he can go get $20M guaranteed elsewhere (which is about what I expect) it would be smarter for him than playing here for 1 year and $10M. 

4 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Big difference Taylor made system. If a HC wants to dedicate a entire special system to one QB not good enough while teaching other QBs a different system it will in the end fail the exact same way in finding a franchise worthy QB. You need all QBs on the same system, it is why other teams value him lower and is why NE continues to be able to trade there backup QBs for more then what Tyrod is worth.

Most offenses in the NFL run or ran traditional offenses.  In terms of Qb you add talent this time of year.  You look for system Qbs as back ups.  Releasing Taylor they are in the desperate Qb market.  Where Buffalo has lived for much of the drought.  My point is there is realistically 3 maybe 4 Qbs available that can start tomorrow and you know will be better than Taylor.  If Buffalo gets any of those 4 at that time you release him.  If you do not you sign the best system type backup.  In the draft if you get the QB you covet you than can trade Taylor.  To who?  The team that have a system that would benefit Taylor.  Houston? Carolina?  Maybe Cleveland if you are confident in the guy you got.  The worst thing that could happen to me is Drafting a qb who may not be ready week 1 and now you either rush the Qbs development or throw is the career back up who will play in a manner you have to play the rookie anyway.  

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Really? I have had to accept pay cuts in past but immediately started looking for work,  Pay cuts happen in real life due to a number of factors including management screwups, changes due to customers (primary for me has been government), etc.  I do not agree he should have to take a pay cut but there is a difference in accounting method for NFL when players have "committed" to play and cannot change jobs (not really when they can sit out majority of year and still get year's credit).

He’s committed to play for that number. He’s basically saying “yes, I will play for that or I will shop my services elsewhere.” It’s perfectly reasonable.

Pay cuts do happen but as you said you started looking elsewhere. That is the standard. You agreed to work at your job for a certain amount of money, we all have. If that amount goes down you are no longer working in a situation that you agreed to. We all have the leverage to go somewhere else.

15 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would, I feel like I'm not doing enough work and taking too many sick days. I like to call it taking a Tyrod.

Just like when I am having a Migraine I call it having a Call pf Kthulu; call it whatever you want.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s committed to play for that number. He’s basically saying “yes, I will play for that or I will shop my services elsewhere.” It’s perfectly reasonable.

Pay cuts do happen but as you said you started looking elsewhere. That is the standard. You agreed to work at your job for a certain amount of money, we all have. If that amount goes down you are no longer working in a situation that you agreed to. We all have the leverage to go somewhere else.

Or he says yes I will play a that $$$ but my agent (too bad the agent best at screwing the Bills is in hell, maybe he can get a day pass) says I should hold out until mid season unless you give me a raise or trade me. It is not a true commitment. 

46 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Periods of the season he stunk bad. 

For sure. 

But repeat after me:  he led the team, and when we broke the streak, he was our starter. 

He did enough to get it done and get the monkey off our back. 

The team did.   

Lets be honest.   The defense was a big part of the teams success.  

Keeping offenses to 17 ppg early on got the team to 5 wins.   

Then they went into a funk when Dareus was traded.  They regained composure to once again keeping offenses to under 20 ppg.  (Well, everyone but the Cheaters)

The problem was TT couldn’t lead the team to score an average of 20 ppg.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Might be his last though. If he can go get $20M guaranteed elsewhere (which is about what I expect) it would be smarter for him than playing here for 1 year and $10M. 

These are all arguments as to why he shouldn't have taken a cut last year.  But he did. I'm thinking his market ain't as good as you think.

10 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

These are all arguments as to why he shouldn't have taken a cut last year.  But he did. I'm thinking his market ain't as good as you think.

And i agree with that. People here are over valuing his market 

21 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Just like when I am having a Migraine I call it having a Call pf Kthulu; call it whatever you want.

Or he says yes I will play a that $$$ but my agent (too bad the agent best at screwing the Bills is in hell, maybe he can get a day pass) says I should hold out until mid season unless you give me a raise or trade me. It is not a true commitment. 

That’s fair

55 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Periods of the season he stunk bad. 

For sure. 

But repeat after me:  he led the team, and when we broke the streak, he was our starter. 

He did enough to get it done and get the monkey off our back. 

he can thank andy dalton just like bills fans did. without help, no postseason. I'm looking forward to having a QB under center that sustains drives, throws the ball accurately and can read defenses. all the while scoring tds, winning games and making the post season due to that rather than backing in with the help of another teams QB.

14 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

I don’t think that it is good but somewhere between Glennon ($18.5M) and Bradford ($22M) in terms of guaranteed money doesn’t seem crazy at all. $20M guaranteed likely keeps him somewhere for 2 seasons. That’s a bridge guy deal. Alex Smith was guaranteed $71M!! The market for QBs is insane.

Put it this way. Come start of the new year if the Bills approach him to redo his contract and lower Cap Hit how does he say no. 

Looking at the start if UFA where else does he see a starting position. 

Remember he will be walking away from a starting job (after another year of regression) into the unknown 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think that it is good but somewhere between Glennon ($18.5M) and Bradford ($22M) in terms of guaranteed money doesn’t seem crazy at all. $20M guaranteed likely keeps him somewhere for 2 seasons. That’s a bridge guy deal. Alex Smith was guaranteed $71M!! The market for QBs is insane.

All three signed to be starters in the NFL. 

Where is that team for Tyrod?

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Put it this way. Come start of the new year if the Bills approach him to redo his contract and lower Cap Hit how does he say no. 

Looking at the start if UFA where else does he see a starting position. 

Remember he will be walking away from a starting job (after another year of regression) into the unknown 

All three signed to be starters in the NFL. 

Where is that team for Tyrod?

I would argue that Glennon absolutely signed to be a bridge guy. That’s why they structured in to be able to get out easily.

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The team did.   

Then they went into a funk when Dareus was traded.  They regained composure to once again keeping offenses to under 20 ppg.  (Well, everyone but the Cheaters)

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The team did.   

Agreed. The Bills with Tyrod @ the helm were 21st in the league in scoring with a paltry 18.9 ppg. With that kind of putrid performance this playoff berth can mostly be attributed to the performance of our defense and an outstanding coaching job by the staff.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I would argue that Glennon absolutely signed to be a bridge guy. That’s why they structured in to be able to get out easily.

I get it but at the time he was signed he was signed to be the Starter. And he actually was. I get how it was structured as a bridge get out guy. 

But Taylor even if think is better than Glennon (which I think he is as well) needs a very specific offense. 

I think he ends up waiting until after the draft and signs with the team that drafts Jackson. Again I just dont see a team that has an offense he would succeed in even in the short term as a bridge, because what OC wants to design an offense specifically for him then have to scrap it when you move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Agreed. The Bills with Tyrod @ the helm were 21st in the league in scoring with a paltry 18.9 ppg. With that kind of putrid performance this playoff berth can mostly be attributed to the performance of our defense and an outstanding coaching job by the staff.

I think the special teams should get a good portion of the credit as well.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I get it but at the time he was signed he was signed to be the Starter. And he actually was. I get how it was structured as a bridge get out guy. 

But Taylor even if think is better than Glennon (which I think he is as well) needs a very specific offense. 

I think he ends up waiting until after the draft and signs with the team that drafts Jackson. Again I just dont see a team that has an offense he would succeed in even in the short term as a bridge, because what OC wants to design an offense specifically for him then have to scrap it when you move on. 

That’s the wild card though of FA coming first. If you are Arizona picking in the middle of the 1st what do you do? You probably secure a vet that can play a year or 2 in case you can’t get your guy. That is what the Bears did with Glennon. Cleveland & SF had picks before them and there was a chance that they got shutout. They signed a bridge guy in case and were able to get their guy.

It all depends how the QB carousel goes. I’d venture to say that most of these teams (including the Bills) secure a veteran option prior to the draft. Cleveland, Denver, Jets, Bills, Arizona and maybe Jacksonville. 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s the wild card though of FA coming first. If you are Arizona picking in the middle of the 1st what do you do? You probably secure a vet that can play a year or 2 in case you can’t get your guy. That is what the Bears did with Glennon. Cleveland & SF had picks before them and there was a chance that they got shutout. They signed a bridge guy in case and were able to get their guy.

It all depends how the QB carousel goes. I’d venture to say that most of these teams (including the Bills) secure a veteran option prior to the draft. Cleveland, Denver, Jets, Bills, Arizona and maybe Jacksonville. 

That makes sense as well. But i think outside the Jimmy G (wont hit UFA) and Cousins i think the stregnth of the draft at QB is going to tamper down and slow the secondary QB market this year.