Oh Fitz, why wasn’t it you?

Virgil

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He should've been retained as a bridge QB, but they needlessly extended and overpaid him (sound familiar) and then had to cut bait when he couldn't live up to his contract.

The Bills love to overpay guys (or overcommit draft picks) and then get buyer's remorse.

When will this meme die?  Fitz wasn't close to overpaid and could've easily been kept at his contract.  Him and EJM is exactly the same situation as what the Bills will try to do this year.  Hopefully, the QBs are better.

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Isn't that the truth. Overpaid for Mario, Fitz, Dareus, Clay, Glenn. Maybe that's the only way players will come to or stay in Buffalo? Shady is the only big name player we've had in the last 6-7 years worth the money.

Mario was also worth every penny.  No Bill has had double digit sacks since he's been gone and he did it every year here except his last.

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

They paid Mario something like $66 million for one good season, one terrific season season, and one monster season. For a player at a premier position (pass rushing DE), that's not a bad deal at all.  Stars get paid. He played like a star for those three seasons. He also had a dog season too, worth about maybe 2.5 million. You figure that he got paid about $21 million per season for his three good seasons. I'll take than any day.

Bingo!

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If he were the QB in year 1 of Marrone the drought would have been over then.     

Eating Fitz' dead money to hide Buddy Nix' Deadspin embarrassment was some bulls*t.

Double bingo!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

You figure that he got paid about $21 million per season for his three good seasons. I'll take than any day.

41 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Mario was also worth every penny.  No Bill has had double digit sacks since he's been gone and he did it every year here except his last.

Are y'all high? He was a fantastic pass rusher, but that was all he could do and he  got paid an absurdly overblown amount of money. Six years after his signing, defensive ends (including Super Bowl and NFL MVP's) still aren't making his average salary. That contract, like Dareus', was an embarrassment to the franchise. 

4 minutes ago, MPT said:

Are y'all high? He was a fantastic pass rusher, but that was all he could do and he  got paid an absurdly overblown amount of money. Six years after his signing, defensive ends (including Super Bowl and NFL MVP's) still aren't making his average salary. That contract, like Dareus', was an embarrassment to the franchise. 

That's quite possibly the second most important position in football.

Mario was also a beast against the run.

Von is making more than Mario did.  And he was a SB MVP.

13 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

as limited as he was it turns out he was better the Tyrod.  

By what metric? Fitz was 20-33 vs Tyrod's 22-20. TD:INT was 80:64 vs 51:16. QBR was 76 vs 96. This isn't meant as praise for Tyrod; I just don't think you can make a case that Fitz was better, or even as good. 

Edit & disclaimer: I loved Fitz when he was here too, so I'm not hating on him. 

Edited by MPT

I always think of 2012 as one of the most disappointing years of the drought.  I think it was because how much I wanted to see Fitz succeed and tended to think he struggled a lot at the end of 2011 because he was too proud to not play even though he was hurt.

With that being said he is what he is, a good guy but a solid backup.  Although for everyone here posting saying how much he loved Buffalo, didn't he live in Arizona in the off season?

Edited by Another Fan

5 minutes ago, MPT said:

By what metric? Fitz was 20-33 vs Tyrod's 22-20. TD:INT was 80:64 vs 51:16. QBR was 76 vs 96. This isn't meant as praise for Tyrod; I just don't think you can make a case that Fitz was better, or even as good. 

Edit & disclaimer: I loved Fitz when he was here too, so I'm not hating on him. 

Points scored against NE and Brady.

24 minutes ago, MPT said:

Huh??

Williams was an *excellent* run defender in his prime. That's common knowledge, no? And $21 million per for the three good seasons is not money poorly spent at all. Stars get paid. Von Miller and Watt had bigger salaries, and Miller, good as he is, was never any better than Williams was in 2014. Watt is better but the injuries negate it. 

The Bills had the #4 defense in 2013 and the #2 defense in 2014 using FO's DVOA metric. Mario and Dareus were the best playerson those two defenses. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, MPT said:

Mario's Contract

2012 Player Cash Earnings $5,900,000  $19,000,000 -                      $100,000 - - - $25,000,000
2013 Player Cash Earnings $6,500,000 - - $500,000 -                                                       $8,000,000 - $15,000,000
2014 Player Cash Earnings $1,900,000 - $10,600,000 $500,000 - -                    $400,000 $13,400,000
2015 Player Cash Earnings $12,100,000 - $1,000,000 $500,000 - - $400,000 $14,000,000

Von Miller is set to make more than he is 6 years later in average salary. 

2018 Player Cash Earnings $18,500,000                                 - -                                 $500,000                                                                                                                        $19,000,000

Just Sayin' 

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Like (+1) 1

My bad, I was going by the $21 million figure that someone threw out there. Just can't trust anything these days. 

But my point remains. Mario Williams was a fine player, but he was never the game wrecker that his salary suggested. He'd have multi-sack games against bad opponents and disappear during important games. Surely you guys remember the frustration this caused? 

4 minutes ago, MPT said:

My bad, I was going by the $21 million figure that someone threw out there. Just can't trust anything these days. 

But my point remains. Mario Williams was a fine player, but he was never the game wrecker that his salary suggested. He'd have multi-sack games against bad opponents and disappear during important games. Surely you guys remember the frustration this caused? 

No.  I remember him singlehandedly winning several important games during his time here.

7 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I always wished that Fitz could have actually used his brain more on the football field. Everyone knows that he is physically limited, except for himself when he’s on the field. If Fitz could have learned what he is physically capable of, he might have been a really good QB. Instead, he often forces the ball into places that his arm strength doesn’t allow. Far too often this occurred during crucial moments in the game. If he knew his limitations, and had better situational awareness he’d be a better QB. 

Yep.  Game manager ability, gunslinger attitude.  That was Fitz in a nutshell. 

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

If there were one QB that I wish turned out to be the answer for us, it’s Fitz. He had a great nickname, beard was amazing, embraced the city, and overall opitimozed what it means to be a Buffalo Bill. 

Also, he went to Harvard if you hadn’t heard. 

Seeing him at Wood’s press conference today just made me reminisce about the guy and still holds one of the best memories for me when we beat the Pats in Week 3 a few years back. That’s a game we normally lose while Fitz and Freddy stole the show. 

Me too.

Also wish Rob Johnson was the man and then Fitz takes over when he retired. :wub:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

22 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

They paid Mario something like $66 million for one good season, one terrific season season, and one monster season. For a player at a premier position (pass rushing DE), that's not a bad deal at all.  Stars get paid. He played like a star for those three seasons. He also had a dog season too, worth about maybe 2.5 million. You figure that he got paid about $21 million per season for his three good seasons. I'll take than any day.

One of the highlights of the "drought" years for me will always be the game against Carolina, where Mario terrorized Cam Newton the entire game...