Jim Kelly on Josh Rosen not wanting to play for Browns: “I get it”

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, HT02 said:

Yeah that started the change, his wife Jill openly talked about his womanizing in her book and I have heard him speak and he owns up to a lot of his past.  I really admire his humility.

He took a lot of "mulligans"..

Jim Kelly’s curse for going to the USFL and spurning our Bills was pre-mature baldness.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Amen to this.  I'm so sick of Kelly and Thurman chiming in EVERY OFF SEASON about everything.  For God's sake, who gives a flying !@#$ what you think??

Yeah, who wants to hear what two HOFers have to say about the team they care for when we can come here and listen to what you have to say about them.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Jim Kelly’s curse for going to the USFL and spurning our Bills was pre-mature baldness.

Yeah, who wants to hear what two HOFers have to say about the team they care for when we can come here and listen to what you have to say about them.

...at the same time BOE, his yap seems to open at the most inopportune time before his brain is engaged......what if the USFL had limped along longer?.....would he have opted out to sign with Bflo who held his rights for the NFL?......OR....was his envelope pushed when the league folded and Bills still owned his rights?......don't see much difference between Eli's hissy fit about Chargers or Elway about the Colts......they BOTH would have jobs regardless, but Jimbo was out of work with zero alternatives when USFL folded.....and I'd have to say he had it pretty damn good in Buffalo...........second fiddle or not......

24 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

LOL on the first sentence...

And I guess kids will have to live with us old farts finding something useful in the comments of honest greats of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Enough is enough.  There's been lots of great Bills since that 90s stretch (who never won a ring) and you don't hear any of them "chiming in."  Part of me hopes McD pulls a Jeff Fisher vs. Erik Dickerson move and says, "get out."

And when I start charging $2.99/month to read my posts, I expect yours to be the first PayPal account I see.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Enough is enough.  There's been lots of great Bills since that 90s stretch (who never won a ring) and you don't hear any of them "chiming in."  Part of me hopes McD pulls a Jeff Fisher vs. Erik Dickerson move and says, "get out."

And when I start charging $2.99/month to read my posts, I expect yours to be the first PayPal account I see.

who exactly do you want to hear from since the peak of the Kelly Era, and what did they do in big games (what big games...)

Joe DeLamielleure was another great who is missed for his comments.

Just now, row_33 said:

who exactly do you want to hear from since the peak of the Kelly Era, and what did they do in big games (what big games...)

I get the big games scenario.  But Thurman Thomas doesn't shut up from the draft until our season's over. 

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I get the big games scenario.  But Thurman Thomas doesn't shut up from the draft until our season's over. 

The worst was Jim and Marv and Thurman holding a presser about the bickering Bills and they went on and on and on with what they thought was a very entertaining comedy routine.  Painful.... 

No speaking game at all outside of sound bites on occasion....

4 hours ago, MTBill said:

The problem is - the NFL is a monopoly.  If you want to play QB in the US and get paid like the NFL, they are your only option.  There is no plan B.  The USFL was that for a short while, and the XFL less so.

There is a plan B and C actually.

They can retire or demand a trade.  They play the sport in hopes to get paid.  They should expect to play for the team that drafted them and put on their big girl pants.

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Really?  When he used to be on WGR radio in recent years, he always came across as a disgruntled miserable prick...who oh by the way, made millions playing in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

There is a plan B and C actually.

They can retire or demand a trade.  They play the sport in hopes to get paid.  They should expect to play for the team that drafted them and put on their big girl pants.

I wouldn't condemn a young man to have to go to the Browns and get his ass made into grass every single offensive series till he gets destroyed permanently

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

...but he certainly did run from all the people he owed money to after his downtown restaurant failed. ;)  

Please stop and post something intelligent! Man, it's the off season and this board is a magnet for kooks!

45 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The worst was Jim and Marv and Thurman holding a presser about the bickering Bills and they went on and on and on with what they thought was a very entertaining comedy routine.  Painful.... 

No speaking game at all outside of sound bites on occasion....

Whatever!

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

Jim is a tale of two cities. Pre Hunter and Once Hunter was born changed the guy big time. I have family who knew him before and after are remarked how he was an arrogant prick who went after any women, but after Hunter he shaped up and matured big time to become a good man. Good for him IMO we all have our warts in the past.

Thank you for sanity on a post featuring the normal "kooks" we read on TBD, man I miss the old days!

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

You mean he deserved to get ruined because he was arrogant ?

No.  He deserved to get ruined because he was more important than anything else (football related or not).  All he wanted to do was get paid (and he did).  He did some good for them but it's not like his career was ruined because of the way the team played, it was all him.  Also, any player that is considered a top draft pick should know that they are likely going to be drafted by a ****ty team.  Coming out and saying they don't want to get drafted by a team just makes them a cry baby IMO.  And yes, I think the same way toward Kelly. 

Honestly, if you were drafted by an NFL team which would outweigh the other, get paid bank or being on a team you didn't want to be on?

Edited by The Wiz

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Amen to this.  I'm so sick of Kelly and Thurman chiming in EVERY OFF SEASON about everything.  For God's sake, who gives a flying !@#$ what you think??

Who cares what you have to say, I sure don't!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MTBill said:

The problem is - the NFL is a monopoly.  If you want to play QB in the US and get paid like the NFL, they are your only option.  There is no plan B.  The USFL was that for a short while, and the XFL less so.

Players coming out of college have no choice in who they get to play for.  The draft is in place in hopes of maintaining at least a small degree of competitiveness.  If every player got to choose the team - you'd have many teams who would end up folding because they would never have talented players.  With Transition tags - the NFL has given teams even more power once a rookie contract is up for a team to continue to hold power over a player's 'rights' from other teams signing them.

As a follower of a team like Buffalo - this is a good thing.  Imagine a world where the elite players all wanted to play for big name/big market teams.  By also having "rounds" of a draft - players also get a slotted salary - again helpful for the team - but not the player.

In short - if you are a college FB player who is good enough to play at the NFL level, you are screwed.  You have to play football for free in college (yeah, you may get a degree out of it) and then you have to play for the team who wants you based on how much they want to pay you.  Maybe they could create some sort of buyout clause for players drafted in the first round to allow them to move to a team which didn't have a chance to draft them (e.g. the team they wanted picked after the place they were drafted) - where the drafting team gets compensated somehow.  Even that seems unfair to competitive balance, but the player would still have to find a dance partner willing to pay the cost.

Yeah, paid millions to work out and play a sport.  "Screwed."  Exactly.

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Really?  When he used to be on WGR radio in recent years, he always came across as a disgruntled miserable prick...who oh by the way, made millions playing in the NFL.

I'm not sure he made 'millions', maybe 1-2 million over a 12 year career, players didn't earn much in the 70's. He also has brain damage , likely due to his time in the NFL. Give him a break.

Got a chance to meet him at our house when I was in grammar school, always been one of my all time favorites, so I'm a little defensive regarding him.