Incognito update

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

“I saw him in the locker room, went up to him, said, ‘Good to finally meet you,’ I apologized for my part in this, and I said I hope we can get a drink here and I can get to know you better,” said Incognito. “He was cool. We shook hands and hugged it out.”

Incognito said he tried to reach out to Ngakoue the day after the game, and finally was able to get on the phone with him when the NFL Players Association arranged it a week later. Although neither player has detailed exactly what was said on the field, Buffalo GM Brandon Beane has said there was some “back-and-forth” between Ngakoue and Incognito. The fact that the league has not come out and ruled against Incognito could be a sign that there are two sides to this story. But clearly, if Incognito said something with racial overtones, it’s not acceptable, whatever the environment.

“It was important for me to be able to speak man-to-man with Yannick about it,” Incognito said by phone from Orlando. “It was a reminder how powerful our words can be. But it gets crazy out there. Real crazy. Things are said and done on the football field that are never said off the field, never seen off the field. What happens on the football field very often is not a reflection of who we are as people. That’s why I wanted to see him here. It’s a great setting to talk as men. Yannick is celebrating his first Pro Bowl—much deserved, and he is a heck of a pass-rusher, and we had our hands full with him when we played. And I was glad we were able to get together as men and talk about it.”

So long story short -

the dude that hadn’t previously made stuff up probably didn’t make this up

and the guy that’s said dumb stuff before probably said dumb stuff here...

and its not the end of the world either? Crazy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

So long story short -

the dude that hadn’t previously made stuff up probably didn’t make this up

and the guy that’s said dumb stuff before probably said dumb stuff here...

and its not the end of the world either? Crazy. 

Yeah, pretty much.  This is anything but Richie denying he said what the other guy said he said.  The opposite, infact.

On 1/23/2018 at 3:44 PM, Don Beebe said:

Those were different days. The panty waists that play now wouldn't have made it through the first quarter then.

I know. Not only is the QB play a joke now...but half the players are little cupcakes

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, pretty much.  This is anything but Richie denying he said what the other guy said he said.  The opposite, infact.

Im curious what some of the folks that were adamant he said nothing will say here... but I’m guessing it’ll be mostly silence with a few chirps about football being a mans game and anything goes.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Im curious what some of the folks that were adamant he said nothing will say here... but I’m guessing it’ll be mostly silence with a few chirps about football being a mans game and anything goes.

I'm curious to know why some of the folks that insisted we should wait until the NFL concluded their investigation feel the need to chirp after comments made by RI that clarified nothing?

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'm curious to know why some of the folks that insisted we should wait until the NFL concluded their investigation feel the need to chirp after comments made by RI that clarified nothing?

Well, that's easy.  Richie just told us that he said these bad things and he is apologizing for them publicly. 

If it "never happened", there would be no public comment and apology described by Richie himself.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, that's easy.  Richie just told us that he said these bad things and he is apologizing for them publicly. 

If it "never happened", there would be no public comment and apology described by Richie himself.

RI apologized for what he described as 'my part' in the encounter.  That implies someone else has a part in it as well, presumably Yannick Ngakoue.  I think RI handled it pretty well, all things considered--with the caveat that I have no idea what the heck happened.  He reached out to the guy, met with him and tried to sort out any misunderstanding.  I'd assume that RI had some guidance from professionals in this regard, he's got millions riding on the outcome. 

If the NFL comes out and suspends him, the Bills should cross that bridge when they come to it.

22 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

RI apologized for what he described as 'my part' in the encounter.  That implies someone else has a part in it as well, presumably Yannick Ngakoue.  I think RI handled it pretty well, all things considered--with the caveat that I have no idea what the heck happened.  He reached out to the guy, met with him and tried to sort out any misunderstanding.  I'd assume that RI had some guidance from professionals in this regard, he's got millions riding on the outcome. 

If the NFL comes out and suspends him, the Bills should cross that bridge when they come to it.

What is he apologizing for?  Players never apologize for straight up trash talk--it's always been part of the game.   Notice Richie didn't deny the accusation.  Instead he had a team mate deny it for him and  he allowed Beane to offer up a lame "maybe it was a misunderstanding".

And why isn't Ngakoue  publicly acknowledging RI's apololgy?

Why isn't he confirming "yeah, we worked it out.  It's all good now"?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No one is claiming that bad words weren't exchanged between the two over the course of the game.  But you realize that you can say non-racial bad things, right? 

And if someone with a history of bullying and saying racist things said something racist to you, would you "hug it out" with him?  Doubtful.  And the Jags player didn't deny the "hug out" happened. 

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What is he apologizing for?  Players never apologize for straight up trash talk--it's always been part of the game.   Notice Richie didn't deny the accusation.  Instead he had a team mate deny it for him and  he allowed Beane to offer up a lame "maybe it was a misunderstanding".

Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Yannick Ngakoue says he and Buffalo Bills guard Richie Incognito have cleared the air after Ngakoue accused Incognito of using “weak racist slurs" during a playoff game earlier this month.

Ngakoue says the Pro Bowl teammates talked it out yesterday and are good to go.

Ngakoue declined to get into specifics about their conversation at ESPN's Wide World of Sports complex in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., preferring to move on. Incognito rushed off the field following the AFC squad's practice and declined interview requests.

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

No one is claiming that bad words weren't exchanged between the two over the course of the game.  But you realize that you can say non-racial bad things, right? 

And if someone with a history of bullying and saying racist things said something racist to you, would you "hug it out" with him?  Doubtful.  And the Jags player didn't deny the "hug out" happened. 

Look, RI never denied the accusation.  And players don't effusively apologize for "bad things" trash talk.  They never do.

He "hugged it out" (Richie's description, not Ngakoue's--who refused to comment on what the tow of them actually said) because he's moved on and understands RI for what he is: a guy who hasn't hesitated to spew racially charged statements and insult at his own team mate, let alone opposing players.

He was the bigger man. 

RI's failure to deny it and his unusual apology for "crazy" talk should convince anyone the what Ngakoue said was true. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What is he apologizing for?  Players never apologize for straight up trash talk--it's always been part of the game.   Notice Richie didn't deny the accusation.  Instead he had a teammate deny it for him and  he allowed Beane to offer up a lame "maybe it was a misunderstanding".

In my opinion, the approach you're taking is as bad as someone taking the hard-line "There is no way he ever could have said anything" and is based on nothing more than limitations in your own thought process. Of course he could have used the most racially insensitive language for purposes having nothing to do with a football game and everything to do with his personally held convictions.  He might have waited until DD was in the lavatory washing his hands to do it.  He may have whispered it in Ngakoue's ear.  He may have spelled it out in the remnants of rubber on the turf and swept it all clean when his teammates returned. I don't see Dawkin's public support of his teammate as a slam dunk indicator that RI was a victim, but really struggle with the allegation that RI made DD come to his defense. 

My thought would be he apologized for his 'part'--at a minimum---because it made sense economically for him to do, given his past experiences with the league, and because he's sought out professional help to deal with his image problem.  And it's entirely possible to think that he's learned from his past experience, knows fame is fleeting and money can dry up quickly and he wanted to make sure they were both on the same page. Hard to say, since I wasn't there.

No idea why Ngakoue is not publically acknowledging the apology, but then again he couldn't recall or wouldn't say what was said, correct?  Maybe he's camera shy. Maybe he doesn't like RI.  Maybe he doesn't believe him.  Maybe he had second thoughts and really misunderstood what RI said.  Maybe he hates the humble chicken wing.  Who knows? 

On 1/24/2018 at 10:38 AM, TheFunPolice said:

So the two guys talked it out and they are both fine now.

In other words, it was blown totally out of proportion which is probably why the Jags player wouldn't elaborate. Maybe he made a one-off comment when he was angry with Richie, didn't realize it would blow up like it did, realized that it didn't warrant such a firestorm, wouldn't say more about it but felt sort of trapped, and now talked it out in person and moved on.

Not everything has to be career ending. Sometimes people (Richie in this case) say stupid crap in the heat of the moment and sometimes people misunderstand or misconstrue what is going on until cooler heads prevail. The media are the ones who want to make everything into a 72 point font headline.

But...but....getting a pound of flesh from someone I've never met over something they may or may not have said to another person I've never met is what is critically important right now!!!

Truely bizarre how much energy people devote to certain inconsequential things.

On January 22, 2018 at 10:28 PM, Da webster guy said:

Both sides agree Richie never used the N word, so what else is there?  Seriously, these guys are NFL gladiators slugging it out in the worlds toughest trenches.  His feelings were hurt by words?  Dude needs to grow a pair or maybe try out for tennis or golf tour. 

What else is there? Is that a serious question? Do I need to provide a list? Is it OK because they're playing a game so racism is acceptable there? We don't know the facts, but you're already making excuses for racial slurs.

11 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

In my opinion, the approach you're taking is as bad as someone taking the hard-line "There is no way he ever could have said anything" and is based on nothing more than limitations in your own thought process. Of course he could have used the most racially insensitive language for purposes having nothing to do with a football game and everything to do with his personally held convictions.  He might have waited until DD was in the lavatory washing his hands to do it.  He may have whispered it in Ngakoue's ear.  He may have spelled it out in the remnants of rubber on the turf and swept it all clean when his teammates returned. I don't see Dawkin's public support of his teammate as a slam dunk indicator that RI was a victim, but really struggle with the allegation that RI made DD come to his defense

My thought would be he apologized for his 'part'--at a minimum---because it made sense economically for him to do, given his past experiences with the league, and because he's sought out professional help to deal with his image problem.  And it's entirely possible to think that he's learned from his past experience, knows fame is fleeting and money can dry up quickly and he wanted to make sure they were both on the same page. Hard to say, since I wasn't there.

No idea why Ngakoue is not publically acknowledging the apology, but then again he couldn't recall or wouldn't say what was said, correct?  Maybe he's camera shy. Maybe he doesn't like RI.  Maybe he doesn't believe him.  Maybe he had second thoughts and really misunderstood what RI said.  Maybe he hates the humble chicken wing.  Who knows? 

I'm not struggling with an allegation that I didn't make.    HE didn't force Dawkins to deny it, but he had it go on e record as the only public denial this happened.  So in effect, he had Dawkins deny it so he wouldn't have to and couldn't (and be truthful).

Dawkins did it to stick up for his teammate--who he knows harbors racist tendencies (that's not even debatable) and doesn't want to RI miss games as a player.

If it was a false accusation, Incognito would have said so right away and would have let the NFL tell the world there was no truth to the claim.  Boom.  Simple.  No drawn out mea culpa to Peter King describing a loving bro-fest between the two of them complete with hugging....while the other guy says essentially nothing about their dramatic make up session.

10 hours ago, NoSaint said:

What?  He certainly did say something.  Whether that something was RACIST was the point of contention.

48 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Look, RI never denied the accusation.  And players don't effusively apologize for "bad things" trash talk.  They never do.

He "hugged it out" (Richie's description, not Ngakoue's--who refused to comment on what the tow of them actually said) because he's moved on and understands RI for what he is: a guy who hasn't hesitated to spew racially charged statements and insult at his own team mate, let alone opposing players.

He was the bigger man. 

RI's failure to deny it and his unusual apology for "crazy" talk should convince anyone the what Ngakoue said was true. 

They do when they are accused of racist trash talk, apparently.