Pats create PI when they are losing

Matt_In_NH

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That D is stacked with talent.  They were smothering Brady and the passing game.

The point is that Jax had the pats where they wanted them and then let it get away.  Last year, Matty King of Choke and the Atlanta Gaggers couldn't put away a blowout SB game.

Huh!? Did you watch the game? Maybe you need to go back and look at the box score....26-38 with two TDs isn't exactly "Smothering" a QB. LOL The Pats had TWO TD drives in the fourth qtr to win it. The Jags D COULD NOT make a stop when they needed to. I think even if Myles Jack would have run back that fumble for a TD...and made it 27-10....the Pats still would have come back and won. The Jags D...even though they got some pressure, just like many teams who play the Pats do....... just couldn't stop Brady, and that's a fact.

21 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Huh!? Did you watch the game? Maybe you need to go back and look at the box score....26-38 with two TDs isn't exactly "Smothering" a QB. LOL The Pats had TWO TD drives in the fourth qtr to win it. The Jags D COULD NOT make a stop when they needed to. I think even if Myles Jack would have run back that fumble for a TD...and made it 27-10....the Pats still would have come back and won. The Jags D...even though they got some pressure, just like many teams who play the Pats do....... just couldn't stop Brady, and that's a fact.

I already said that:  "The point is that Jax had the pats where they wanted them and then let it get away".  They were handling Brady until they choked late.  

The rest---are you really not understanding that I was referring to the game UNTIL the 4th Q?  I made it pretty clear.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Jasovon said:

This is football not quantum physics, the Patriots* are a massive statistical anomaly in the NFL which given all of the data we have from years of Football is a good indication that something is awry. 

No there is not, its called being disiplined. The players are not gonna make the same mistakes that other teams do.  There certainly not the most talented team in the nfl. But they are the most disiplined. They dont over look anybody, they prepare for each team the same way. When they go into a game they have a full breakdown on every player on the opposing team. The break down on their strengths, weaknesses any tells that may be seen. If they see a weakness they will go after it until you stop it. They prepare for every situation. They also scout the officials that will be working the game. They like to know what they call and what they let go. They take advantage of that. And i hear people say they will make half time adjustments, those are done from series to series. When tou prepare the way they do you have a very very high chance of being succesful.

11 hours ago, John in Jax said:

I agree that the Jags choked, but both the Pittsburgh and the NE playoff games proved that their defense was/is overrated. Consider that during the regular season, they beat exactly ONE playoff team (Pittsburgh). They had a cupcake schedule this year.

Great, talented individuals that could play better.  Also, not good team defender.

Underachieving defense for what they have.  Turnovers and some big plays.  But, they give up a lot of yards and points to good teams.

7 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

No there is not, its called being disiplined. The players are not gonna make the same mistakes that other teams do.  There certainly not the most talented team in the nfl. But they are the most disiplined. They dont over look anybody, they prepare for each team the same way. When they go into a game they have a full breakdown on every player on the opposing team. The break down on their strengths, weaknesses any tells that may be seen. If they see a weakness they will go after it until you stop it. They prepare for every situation. They also scout the officials that will be working the game. They like to know what they call and what they let go. They take advantage of that. And i hear people say they will make half time adjustments, those are done from series to series. When tou prepare the way they do you have a very very high chance of being succesful.

Fair enough, i'm never going to convince you that the Patriots* aren't a magical team capable of things no other coach could ever do. 

Let me know if you ever want to buy some magic beans. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Overall I think the PI penalty rule needs to be changed and a few other rules.. 1. They have to allow more incidental contact and mutual battling between the DB and receiver. Its a rough game and having penalties like Bouye's one for a few caresses is ludicrous.  . 2. The penalty needs to stop being a spot foul because that will get teams (Patriots) to stop manufacturing the fouls for 50 yard advancements of the ball. 15 yard penalty like in college. 3. There needs to be a huge change across the board in the quality of officiating, better training and more situational awareness. 4. Coaches should have 1 challenge a game just for penalties. They could challenge calls or ask for a penalty on an egregious non call.  The current situation is stupid.

13 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

This describes them really well.  

I'm sure there's one other related thing they do and that is they have a book on everything and everyone. They don't jus watch this year's FIL on someone, like Tyrod. They watch this year's film with all the info they've gathered on Taylor from previous years, so their knowledge becomes cumulative. 

They've played the same offensive and defensive schemes for years, and they don't forget the things they learned years ago.  They bring plays and concepts back when they see an opportunity.  

It's called institutional knowledge.  It gives tham an edge. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm sure there's one other related thing they do and that is they have a book on everything and everyone. They don't jus watch this year's FIL on someone, like Tyrod. They watch this year's film with all the info they've gathered on Taylor from previous years, so their knowledge becomes cumulative. 

They've played the same offensive and defensive schemes for years, and they don't forget the things they learned years ago.  They bring plays and concepts back when they see an opportunity.  

well put.

I agree... When you run the same system for 15+ years you can keep adding... new wrinkles, new tweaks

When you are tearing it all up every 2 years you never get to that level.

Also, on the point of PI, why doesn't every team do it? If the ball doesn't seem catchable have your WR do an acting job. Make sure it's in a "middle moment" i.e. not during the end of a game when the refs don't even call that for the Pats. Do it in the 2nd or 3rd quarter and take your free 50 yards.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

My sentiments, exactly.  I'll also throw in the fact that they know the NFL Rules better than any official in the game.  They're better because they work harder, and smarter, than every other team in the league.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

My sentiments, exactly.  I'll also throw in the fact that they know the NFL Rules better than any official in the game.  They're better because they work harder, and smarter, than every other team in the league.

I hate it but I admire it.  

And I think McD is trying to copy it. 

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I hate it but I admire it.  

And I think McD is trying to copy it. 

Me, too.  And I'm down with that.  Better than him diving into the Rich Kotite book of NFL coaching!