Shutdown 2018

B-Man

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

That was what I was thinking when I heard they wanted to end the shutdown so quickly.

The #SchumerShutDown thing was a great marketing campaign, and apparently worked to pin it on him and the Democrats.

I would have went with #TalkToChuck or #GovernmentChuckDown

2 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I would have went with #TalkToChuck or #GovernmentChuckDown

Yeah, but #SchumerShutDown has the alliteration thing going, so it rolls off the tongue far easier that #TrumpShutDown or your suggestions.

Always make sure your twitter slogans are smooth to say.

Notable Democrats who voted no on CR today.  

Booker, Warren, Sanders, Gillibrand, Harris.  I wonder what they have in common and could this whole thing have been a stunt?

Rand Paul and Mike Lee only Republicans to vote against it.

What's going to be more interesting is what's going to happen in three weeks?  It's pretty easy for the Democrats as their demand is DACA recipients receive amnesty.  As far as the GOP goes, the views on immigration in the House is more conservative than the Senate.  Even if Trump makes a deal, will it have support in the House and the Senate?  Will Ryan be forced to break the informal "Hastart rule" and bring it to the floor if only a minority of GOP Congressman support the bill?  Will McConnell have the 50 votes needed if he decides to go nuclear?  

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Notable Democrats who voted no on CR today.  

Booker, Warren, Sanders, Gillibrand, Harris.  I wonder what they have in common and could this whole thing have been a stunt?

Rand Paul and Mike Lee only Republicans to vote against it.

What's going to be more interesting is what's going to happen in three weeks?  It's pretty easy for the Democrats as their demand is DACA recipients receive amnesty.  As far as the GOP goes, the views on immigration in the House is more conservative than the Senate.  Even if Trump makes a deal, will it have support in the House and the Senate?  Will Ryan be forced to break the informal "Hastart rule" and bring it to the floor if only a minority of GOP Congressman support the bill?  Will McConnell have the 50 votes needed if he decides to go nuclear?  

McConnell does not want to go nuclear. He understands the ramifications and they are serious. Harry Reid screwed up and I'm sure he regrets that he can't put that toothpaste back in the tube. Expanding it beyond judicial nominations would be idiotic. Any new law could easily be changed in 2 years and that would be terrible for the economy and any long term direction.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

McConnell does not want to go nuclear. He understands the ramifications and they are serious. Harry Reid screwed up and I'm sure he regrets that he can't put that toothpaste back in the tube. Expanding it beyond judicial nominations would be idiotic. Any new law could easily be changed in 2 years and that would be terrible for the economy and any long term direction.

True, but the president is constantly tweeting that he should do it which puts enormous pressure on him.  I don't think Republicans would have the votes anyways.

38 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It’s all really boring to be honest

It's politics.