My Own QB Review: Sleeper Pick - Remi Issaly

28 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

First, there's no way we are moving up in the draft to select a QB. If anything we are moving down to acquire more picks.

That being said, we will retain Peterman, have a FA QB battle for starting role and then draft a rookie QB in the 5th or 6th round. I think we'll use the 5th round pick we acquired from Jax (in the Dareus trade) to draft a sleeper pick at QB.

So I watched a lot of film on lesser known QB's...guys that play in small schools like Romo and Roethlisburger did and Wentz. I'm also looking for high character guys and players who have intangibles.

My criteria for selecting a certain "sleeper" QB is as follows:

1) Quick arm, tight spiral

2) Accurate

3) Great footwork. The NFL is all about solid footwork

4) Able to stay in the pocket and survive pressure from elite talent defenders

5) Has a backstory for how he rose to the occasion (like Eddy Yarborough and Richie Incognito)

So after spending about 14 hours reviewing all kinds of sleeper picks and game tape, I give you Remi Issaly of D3 International league/college. If you watch the first 15 seconds you get hit pretty quick with his intangibles as far as tight spiral and footwork. Go to 3:44 and you can see how he handles pressure from fast defensive line and pocket collapse. He has a grip on the ball and straight core, his hip shift is solid and his throwing motion is more Marino than Aikman.

This kid is a gamer and has a record against elite opposition that, in my opinion, will transfer quite well to the NFL. He's worth a late 5th round pick or an early 6th round pick (if we want to move up).

Just my two cents.

Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered. He looks rather slight in stature. What are his measurables?

No thank you....he throws off his back foot often, he lofts the ball far too often as well, he seems undersized and looks basically average against much lesser competition....I'm all for giving guys from smaller schools or D1-AA or D2 or even D3 schools a chance, but they need to look the part and often need to far exceed expectations in order to be considered. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes but they are still small schools which was the original argument.  It's equivalent to Triple A in baseball.

It's a piss poor argument comparing ANY D1 school to a D3 school.

29 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

First, there's no way we are moving up in the draft to select a QB. If anything we are moving down to acquire more picks.

You lost me at the first sentence. Everything after this general denial gem was just snow on my computer screen.

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered. He looks rather slight in stature. What are his measurables?

I read he was listed at 5'11" but he plays much taller from what I can tell.

Kinda like Seabiscuit

Edited by BringBackFergy
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, simool said:

Eastern Illinois, Miami, and ND State are all D1 schools.

Mike White is a sleeper.

i agree its mike white in the second or third for me!!

i actually think white is the best QB in the class and most ready. Truth is qb is a crap shoot, its far more rare to hit on a guy in the first round than it is to miss, so keep picking until you get lucky, but if you get a great o-line first that keep him off the ground just about any qb will work. Taylor improved our o-lines stats because he can get out of the pocket and avoid sacks, his sack number is far less than it would be if he stayed in the pocket.  

Keep Glenn and move him to the rignt side (hope he stays heathly for a year and then take a RT in the first), keep dawkins at left the kid is a baller, get Groy in and get rid of both interiors and pay some money and get the best we can afford in Free agency.

then draft Mike White and you have a franchise QB, use first three picks on the defensive side of the ball, DT, ML and and a pass rusher.

any of these 1 st round names ring a bell, EJ Manual, Jake Locker, Brandon Weeden, Manzel, Brady Quinn, Time Tebow, Christian Ponder, Blain Gabbert, Griffen, Sanchez, Josh Freeman all misses, its only a fool that drafts a qb without a line.

Edited by 13player

2 minutes ago, simool said:

You are defending Fergy's original post.

How are you not keeping up with your own conversation?

I defended his argument that they are small schools which is why they don't qualify for the FBS.  That is true.

He then stated those guys didn't go the bigger FCS schools like a UCLA....even said "that's what I'm getting at".

He later brought up Fred Jackson as a reference for D-3 talent....he never compared them.

3 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

I appreciate threads like this and putting in the time. Good stuff no matter whether you agree or disagree.

One thing that stood out to me is he always seems to make a quick read and has a clean pocket.  What about under duress, when the pocket collapses?

Go to the 2:40 mark in the tape above. He gets hit hard by the DT and completes the pass to TE up the seam.

This kid has moral fiber. Stands int he pocket and lets it go. Would love to see Daboll, Chud or Kelly work with this kid for a few weeks.

27 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

haha no.  this looks like orchard park high school game tape

Right on man. The luxury of picking a later round big project QB is a luxury for a team with a proven starter not a Rex hand picked QB teams laugh at being forced to be a QB 

12 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Anagrams for Remi Issaly include  Air Messily and Arise Slimy so I'm going to have to take a pass on this one.

I know right. I found him and his team and they are some american style  football club in some league in France somewhere. 

I think this is a master troll job by fergy.