Why I Think the Smart Move is Pay to Get Cousins

Shaw66

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I would not tie up that much money in him as I don't believe he's a franchise QB. 

Well, I do. We never have a good QB. Paying one, would be a good problem to have at some point. This guy would probably be the second best qb in franchise history (if he keeps up his current play). It’s our best shot at getting to the Steelers and patriots level.

14 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Well, I do. We never have a good QB. Paying one, would be a good problem to have at some point. This guy would probably be the second best qb in franchise history (if he keeps up his current play). It’s our best shot at getting to the Steelers and patriots level.

If he's a franchise QB, then why hasn't he lifted Washington into a perennial power in the NFC?  They have won the exact same number of games as the Bills in the last three seasons with the same number of playoff appearances. 

I agree 100% with the OP. I think it comes down to where does Kirk Cousins want to play? (assuming he is not tagged again). I believe he wants to be a winner and will take more than just $ into account. He is going to get paid without a doubt. Buffalo is trending upward and is now known as a playoff team without a quarterback. The Bills could be very attractive to him. Look at the other teams that need quarterbacks. What team is in better position than Buffalo? I think he would be a great fit and he would be The Man from the second he puts down the pen.

This would definitely be my Plan A. Hopefully they got rid of the dumb butt that did MD's contract. They need an out after 3 years if he is not performing.

Edited by bmur66

I think there are probably only about 10-12 Franchise QB's and Cousins is in that group.  He's a bottom-tiered Franchise QB but he does make his offensive players around him better.   The Skins were decimated with injuries this year, their offensive line went through a multitude of injuries, arguably this was his best year yet.  He's also a fiery competitor.

Having said that, reading in between the lines of what Beane had said, I don't think we will be in the running to pay him what he'll get which is probably going to be in the $25-$28 Million a year range.    I would love to have Cousins, but I don't see it happening.

My fall back option would either trade up for one of the QB's if they absolutely love whichever QB prospect that is 

OR

Trade for Alex, probably would have to give up a 2nd and a 3rd and hope that another QB they like falls to them in the draft like a Mason Rudolph.   That way you still have another 1st and a 2nd to continue building.   

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If he's a franchise QB, then why hasn't he lifted Washington into a perennial power in the NFC?  They have won the exact same number of games as the Bills in the last three seasons with the same number of playoff appearances. 

Because it takes more then 1 player to win. Which alot if people can’t seem to comprehend. Just because you have a good QB, doesn’t mean you are going to be a top tier team. We already have the solid support cast. We just need the qb now. Phillip Rivers? Eli Manning? Joe Flacco? Derrick Carr? Andrew Luck? Matt Stanford? All of these guys are considered good or great by most people. In the last few years they have about as many playoff wins combined as we do. You need more then just a QB.

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Because it takes more then 1 player to win. Which alot if people can’t seem to comprehend. Just because you have a good QB, doesn’t mean you are going to be a top tier team. We already have the solid support cast. We just need the qb now. Phillip Rivers? Eli Manning? Joe Flacco? Derrick Carr? Andrew Luck? Matt Stanford? All of these guys are considered good or great by most people. In the last few years they have about as many playoff wins combined as we do. You need more then just a QB.

Washington has surrounded Cousins with weapons to pump up his stats in the last three seasons, but IMO he's not that difference maker that will lead a team to a championship.  I maintain he's not worth the money it'll take to acquire him and I'd rather draft and develop a QB. 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Washington has surrounded Cousins with weapons to pump up his stats in the last three seasons, but IMO he's not that difference maker that will lead a team to a championship.  I maintain he's not worth the money it'll take to acquire him and I'd rather draft and develop a QB. 

They got rid of all his recievers and they havent had a good running back in years. The surrounding cast in Washington is about as bare as any team in the NFC. They have very little tallent. He also puts up incredible numbers regardless. The guy is good. He is very good. He would be worth the money.

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

If they can get him here I am all for it. Cousins isn't elite level but I believe he is top third level.  We have a ton of picks and if the GM is any good they can surround him with good young players.  Shore up the oline, get a speedy receiver, and get a good pass rusher in here this team should be able to compete.

Spending 25+ mil on a QB is less hindering to a team then spending a crap load of top draft picks to get one of those QBs that may or may not work out.  If we were picking at the top of the draft, I might agree with you.  The Bills would have to spend a kings ransom to get to the top of the draft this year.  Doing that and picking the wrong guy would set this team back another decade.

A team can get over the cap expenditures.  It can not get past wasting a ton of draft picks.

This is a good statement of why it makes sense.  It's a question of the probability of getting a qb who is good enough and the cost if you're  wrong.  

With Cousins there's a pretty good probability that he's good enough and the cost if you're  wrong is manageable over about four years.  

In the draft, the probability is low if unless you trade way up, and even then it's a crap shoot.  And the cost of trading up and getting the wrong guy is really high,  because you've lost maybe three first round picks, which are worth three quality starters cheap. 

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

They got rid of all his recievers and they havent had a good running back in years. The surrounding cast in Washington is about as bare as any team in the NFC. They have very little tallent. He also puts up incredible numbers regardless. The guy is good. He is very good. He would be worth the money.

They have good talent that was injured this season.  His numbers this year reflect an offensive imbalance due with no running game. So what. His numbers don't translate to winning football and especially not in big spots with games on the line.  Based on what I've heard from Beane, I don't believe the Bills will shell out big money to a free agent QB and especially one who's not on the Franchise level. 

9 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

— Again not a huge Cousins fan —

The Skins FO let two 1000 yard receivers and their top (aging) RB Go this season.  

Their defense isn’t the best either. 

Given a choice of Taylor @ $18 mil or Cousins @ $22 to 25 mil I think the answer would be obvious.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

To say it won’t happen because of money shows ignorance. If McDermott and Beane want Cousins, the Pegula’s will pay what they need to.

That doesn’t mean Cousins will come here but if the Bills decide to pursue him they won’t be scared off by the price tag.

Right. And I'm saying I'm not afraid of the price tag. 

With Cousins on this team we have a legitimate shot to win the division and go deep in the playoffs. You pay him whatever he wants.  He is the best fa qb to potentially hit the market in how long?

bottom line he is a top 10 qb in the league. He has thrown for over 4000 yards three years in a row. He will be better than any rookie qb next year.  This is a golden opportunity for this team to upgrade the only position that really matters. Get it done

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

— Again not a huge Cousins fan —

The Skins FO let two 1000 yard receivers and their top (aging) RB Go this season.  

Their defense isn’t the best either. 

Given a choice of Taylor @ $18 mil or Cousins @ $22 to 25 mil I think the answer would be obvious.  

Yeah they replaced his good recievers with a fools money bust in Prior. The guy has almost no help. I don’t know what 26 is talking about. Talent wasn’t hurt, it was just on other teams.

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Yeah they replaced his good recievers with a fools money bust in Prior. The guy has almost no help. I don’t know what 26 is talking about. Talent wasn’t hurt, it was just on other teams.

His top target Jordan Reed says hello.  LT Trent Williams says hello. I could go on. 

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Sometimes a lot of people don’t know what he is talking about.  

This season there were a lot of injuries and they took the Saints to the wire in N’Awlins when “his” guy couldn’t manage any offense at all.  

Simple question: if Cousins is so amazing, why a) do the Redskins suck, and b) why are they so willing to let him walk?

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Oh so the excuse Tyrod can't use, Cousins can?