How should the Bills address the QB situation, defend your position

Batman1876

Every year (at least at the old board) the forum is flooded with QB threads regarding the draft and free agency. This year in particular there is a ton of options, lots of free agents and draft realevant QBs, and the Bills have clearly indicated a desire to make a change.

So what do you think the team should do at the QB position?

what would it take to get that done?

and what risks do you see involved with it your preference?

Acquire an experienced starting QB. 

Draft a prospect in the draft. 

Continue to develop Peterman.

Not sure how much defending this opinion needs as it seems to be pretty much a common sense approach. If any opinion needs defending imo, it would be that which supports retaining Taylor but it seems there have been multiple threads devoted to that already. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, K-9 said:

Acquire an experienced starting QB. 

Draft a prospect in the draft. 

Continue to develop Peterman.

Not sure how much defending this opinion needs as it seems to be pretty much a common sense approach. If any opinion needs defending imo, it would be that which supports retaining Taylor but it seems there have been multiple threads devoted to that already. 

This is where I am.  Sort of.

I'd either rather go for Cousins or stay put and draft the best QB available with one of their first rounders, get someone like an Alex Smith or Keenum/Bridgewater, and develop Peterman.        

Just now, Magox said:

This is where I am.  Sort of.

I'd either rather go for Cousins or stay put and draft the best QB available with one of their first rounders, get someone like an Alex Smith or Keenum/Bridgewater, and develop Peterman.        

Cousins certainly falls under the category of experienced NFL QB but he'd be more than a bridge QB for what it would take to sign him. I'm not sure he's that guy though. 

• Like (+1) 1

1. Go all-in on Kirk Cousins.

2. If #1 fails, try to get either Case Keenum or Teddy Bridgewater. Then choose a quarterback with one of the first four picks in the draft (21, 22, 53, or 56).

3. If #1 and #2 fail, trade for Alex Smith then draft a quarterback with one of the first four picks in the draft (21, 22, 53, or 56) or trade up for a QB.

4. Trade draft picks 21 and 22 for a Top 10 pick and choose a QB. Let Peterman and the rookie battle it out in training camp for the starting spot.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Trade for Alex Smith a 3rd should do it.

Draft the BQBA at 21 and trade down with 22 to get 2 or 3 more picks if there are any takers. 

If Alex Smith gets traded, not only will a 3rd do but not even a 2nd.  He'll get a 2nd and another draft choice/player

Just now, Magox said:

If Alex Smith gets traded, not only will a 3rd do but not even a 2nd.  He'll get a 2nd and another draft choice/player

The guys 33 if they need to give 2 picks  to get him one should be a 2019 based on performance.

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

The guys 33 if they need to give 2 picks  to get him one should be a 2019 based on performance.

I agree, but now-a-days it seems like QB's are playing at a high level into their upper 30's.  Plus he's an athletic guy as it is, I wouldn't be surprised that he has another 5 more solid years.  I think he's probably viewed as a valuable player in the league.  Not top shelf, but valuable.    I do agree though, He'll probably fetch a 2nd rounder and another draft choice based off some sort of performance metric.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs were able to get 2 2nd rounders worth of value.

2 minutes ago, Cusefan66214 said:

Keep tyrod

shift the offensive philosophy to triple option running scheme with qb and 2 rbs every play

just kidding- I want case keenim 

The Vikes will not let him walk,I wouldn`t be surprised if they bring back Bradford and let Teddy B walk.

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

The Vikes will not let him walk,I wouldn`t be surprised if they bring back Bradford and let Teddy B walk.

I agree You don’t let the guy that won you double digit games walk and then keep the guys who spend multiple seasons on IR.

Plan A, Least risky but most expensive.  Try to sign a young veteran that can be a playoff winning QB now and for a few years.  Cousins is the clear favorite here but Garropolo and Keenum could be targeted but those two are more risky unproven QBs. Not a Bridgewater or Bradford fan.  Draft another developmental QB not in the first round.  Use first round picks to address other needs.

Plan B, Draft a near future potential long term starter and sign or trade for a veteran that is better than Taylor who is capable of being a starter for 2 seasons.  Smith would be a good choice.  If he's not available look at guys like Colt McCoy, AJ McCarron, Chad Henne, or Drew Stanton. I think the risk of QB play being worse than 2017 is low and this allows time for a rookie or young QB to develop.  

There is no plan C

1 hour ago, Batman1876 said:

I suppose I meant specifically. For instance which vet should we target? Which rookie should we draft?

I would like to see us make a push to sign Kirk Cousins in FA.  

Then I want us to evaluate carefully and draft a QB - not necessarily one of the ones "everyone is talking about", but the Jimmy Garappolo/Russ Wilson/Kirk Cousins "sleeper" guy who has high completion percentage and great attitude/work ethic, someone we don't have to package multiple picks and trade up and sell out our chance to improve everywhere else to acquire.  I don't have an opinion on who this is because I don't watch nearly enough college football.

I don't care if we keep Peterman or not.

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

Plan A, Least risky but most expensive.  Try to sign a young veteran that can be a playoff winning QB now and for a few years.  Cousins is the clear favorite here but Garropolo and Keenum could be targeted but those two are more risky unproven QBs. Not a Bridgewater or Bradford fan.  Draft another developmental QB not in the first round.  Use first round picks to address other needs.

Plan B, Draft a near future potential long term starter and sign or trade for a veteran that is better than Taylor who is capable of being a starter for 2 seasons.  Smith would be a good choice.  If he's not available look at guys like Colt McCoy, AJ McCarron, Chad Henne, or Drew Stanton. I think the risk of QB play being worse than 2017 is low and this allows time for a rookie or young QB to develop.  

There is no plan C

TBH, "sign or trade a veteran" and the names you mentioned are too close to our SOP that brought us Fitz and Taylor.  I think QB play can be worse than 2017 far more easily than you think.  The exception is Smith, but the question is how much will the Chiefs want for him?