A Few Thoughts About the Jags Game

Virgil

I thought Tyrod outplayed Bortles by a wide margin in terms of throwing the ball, not that that is saying much......

Bills had a lot of drops today. O'leary killed a driver, Thompson allowed the Jags to get points at end of 1st (probably....IF we convert the 3rd and 2). The play where Clay stepped out of bounds I'm counting as a drop. killed another driver killer. 

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

It's always tough to get it right on deciding on what to do at QB - however there's is many many options for us for the first time since I can remember.  At least as long as we we're 100% in the market.

Yeah, we just have to decide during free agency whether or not they plan on trading the house to move up in the draft or sign a free agent......or go with Tyrod.  Can’t wait on a FA QB til the draft.  Maybe a trade for Alex smith.  Eh.  He’s better than TT, but underwhelming imo. Just hope we don’t have mason Rudolph or Sam Bradford as our q.v. next year. ??

Agree with all of your thoughts.

I am excited to see if Beane and McD can keep this thing rolling in the right direction, but in order for that to happen I feel McD needs to grow as a coach. McD seems to be doing great at getting the guys ready to play and instilling a positive culture, and not too well at game management.

I think it will be interesting to see what McD does with Dennison. In addition to game management issues I think McD allowed his O coach to call plays like it is 1990, and I think he needs to take ownership of the decision to move forward. If Dennsion is back it may be an indicator that McD is content running a WC offense, which will further demonstrate his old school approach. Maybe turning the roster over and adding a lot of talent combined with the improved culture and structure will be enough to get us to be contenders despite the tired coaching philosophy, but I would prefer to move the offense into this decade.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, we just have to decide during free agency whether or not they plan on trading the house to move up in the draft or sign a free agent......or go with Tyrod.  Can’t wait on a FA QB til the draft.  Maybe a trade for Alex smith.  Eh.  He’s better than TT, but underwhelming imo. Just hope we don’t have mason Rudolph or Sam Bradford as our q.v. next year. ??

Alex Smith is a slightly better better Tyrod with a significantly better play caller. 

I'd be OK with signing him as a stop gap, but a trade? Not more than a 6th rounder.... 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We're not trading the house.  That's why I think Alex Smith on his one year deal - ridiculously cheap is the best option.  Gotta get lucky with drafting the right QB and the most I'd be willing to move is to the 12-15 pick range.  Similar to what the Chiefs did.  

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Alex Smith is a slightly better better Tyrod with a significantly better play caller. 

I'd be OK with signing him as a stop gap, but a trade? Not more than a 6th rounder.... 

6th rounder? lol.  Ok.  Well, hopefully they get someone better because we won’t be getting him for a 6th

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Slightly better?  Do you watch pro football?  Tyrod wouldn't have any check marks next to his name except maybe rushing, and I mean maybe.  He does nothing better than Smith.

How do you sign him without trading for him?  Is anyone talking anything more than a stop gap?  He's going to be 34 before next season starts.

Edited by White Linen

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

We're not trading the house.  That's why I think Alex Smith on his one year deal - ridiculously cheap is the best option.  Gotta get lucky with drafting the right QB and the most I'd be willing to move is to the 12-15 pick range.  Similar to what the Chiefs did.  

Yeah,  tough call.  I’d be happy parting eith a 2nd and 1 of our 1sts for mayfield.  I’d be meh about trading up for allen or Jackson and I don’t want Rudolph.  Alex smith or cousins.  Unless we’re lucky and can trade our entire draft for jimmy g.  I’d do it

23 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

we clearly need a different QB than any guy on the roster.  But we also need a speedy heads up MLB and OL and DL help

The lack of pure speed at LB was obvious today. The  Bortles  sprints showed that and really won the game for the Jags!

11 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Slightly better?  Do you watch pro football?  Tyrod wouldn't have any check marks next to his name except maybe rushing, and I mean maybe.  He does nothing better than Smith.

Do you? Do you not remember the Bills 16-10 victory over the Chiefs in week 14? 

Alex Smith has better passing stats due to Yards After Catch (hence my better play caller comment). 

Chiefs YAC 2,209 (2nd in NFL)

Bills YAC 1,355 (31st in NFL) 

Smith is a pretty limited passer with many of the same problems that TT has. 

He's not a bad QB, but you're not going to make the superbowl with Smith as your QB. 

Edited by DabillsDaBillsDaBills
wrong score

1 hour ago, billsfan714 said:

This loss stop and ends with the QB play.    You cant nitpick around the edges but the QB pay was horrendous.

43.7% qbr. You call that horrendous?  Yeah I know its hard to come up with worse then Horrendous but wont you try?

What really hurts is that we could have won this one.

Putting the game in TT's hands is such a bad idea. I knew that when we were down by 7 going into the 4th quarter and having TT win us the game was going to be a total bust.

Watching TT as our QB is just heart breaking.

39 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Do you? Do you not remember the Bills 19-10 victory over the Chiefs in week 14? 

Alex Smith has better passing stats due to Yards After Catch (hence my better play caller comment). 

Chiefs YAC 2,209 (2nd in NFL)

Bills YAC 1,355 (31st in NFL) 

Smith is a pretty limited passer with many of the same problems that TT has. 

He's not a bad QB, but you're not going to make the superbowl with Smith as your QB. 

BILLS DON'T GET YAC BECAUSE TT THROWS OFF TARGET!!

It's hard to run very far when you have to reach down to your toes or back behind you to catch nearly every damned ball.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 1

Trust the Process.   It goes on.   Bills will try to go get Cousins and be done with the QB position.   Failing that, its the draft.   They will continue to build the roster as they have done.  I have complete trust in these guys.   Clay, Benjamin, Shady, Cordy all hurt.. its time to go heal up 

3 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

Trust the Process.   It goes on.   Bills will try to go get Cousins and be done with the QB position.   Failing that, its the draft.   They will continue to build the roster as they have done.  I have complete trust in these guys.   Clay, Benjamin, Shady, Cordy all hurt.. its time to go heal up 

Cousins would be a big help, but I think there are about 10 other teams who want him as well.

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

Speaking of pet peeves - HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE when team doesn't immediately line up and snap after questionable call before it can be reviewed.  I was screaming so loud on the Clay play as soon as I heard on the audio the Jags players say 'He stepped out!' for them to line up and snap it!!!   Line up and snap it!!!  LINE UP AND SNAP IT!!!!!!!!!!   AAAUUUGHHHHHHHHHH

Absolutely to me the most critical mistake the Bills made all game given the time left, field position, and score.  It took the Bills 27 seconds to snap the ball rather than having the situational awareness to hurry up, line up, and run a play.  I thought it was over after that.