I hope someone from the media asks McDermott why...

KDS73

5 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

No, it’s stupid.

That’s your opinion.  If we took away bortles running then he would’ve had to pass.  He wasn’t very effective passing.  Like tyrod, teams that take away his running game and force him to pass have success stopping us.  We should’ve let him pass and hope our DBs can get a pick and a possible score, it was our best chance at scoring a td today.  As it played out, our best unit, our DBs, were irrelevant as was bortles’ arm.  Was a poor choice imo

1 minute ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

they gave up 10 points.  that should be good enough.  if you use a spy you make another hole.   10 points is a great game 

There would’ve been a hole but bortles would’ve still had to make a good throw.  We lost the game because our offense scored 3. Allowing them to score that td was the nail in the coffin.  They only scored because or bortles legs.  I’d much rather make bortles a passer and take away his legs,  he was putrid throwing the ball all day. 

2 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

Defense spotted the offense 10 points, if you want to criticize anything at all about the game it should be on the other side of the ball.

100% correct. Their plan was to take Fournette away and for the most part they were successful. With the talent the Bills D has we can't take everything away. We went on the road in a playoff game and held a top 10 scoring offense in the regular season to 10 points. 

We lost this game because we didn't call plays or execute well enough on O. Dennison, TT and receivers all guilty. 

10 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

No, it’s stupid.

It really isn’t stupid. Sorry. McDermott failed to change the d to stop Bortles from running. Bortles was trying to throw picks and Fournette wasn’t running great. 

It it wasn’t the only reason the Bills lost, but it’s worth a question at the presser.

If I had to ask McGod one question it would be:

McGod, Can I ask you two questions? YES

Why the hell didn't you run on the 1 yard line

Why the hell didn't you run with the ball under 2 minutes prior to half?

Edited by KW95
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

It really isn’t stupid. Sorry. McDermott failed to change the d to stop Bortles from running. Bortles was trying to throw picks and Fournette wasn’t running great. 

It it wasn’t the only reason the Bills lost, but it’s worth a question at the presser.

Here’s the truth.

The Bills played a professional football team today. That team they played gets lunch money just like 31 other teams do.

That team played in their own home stadium and only scored 10 points all the while getting lunch money like all other teams.

To expect to shut down everything is stupid. The defensive game plan and execution was outstanding.

Anyone that says different is a fool.

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Agree that it is stupid.    How many times did they get the ball back for the offense down a score ?          A lot.       

Any questions should be directed at Dennison and Taylor.   

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s your opinion.  If we took away bortles running then he would’ve had to pass.  He wasn’t very effective passing.  Like tyrod, teams that take away his running game and force him to pass have success stopping us.  We should’ve let him pass and hope our DBs can get a pick and a possible score, it was our best chance at scoring a td today.  As it played out, our best unit, our DBs, were irrelevant as was bortles’ arm.  Was a poor choice imo

Exactly!! All these people saying that not spying the QB wasn't relevant are missing the point hugely. If they had adjusted and spied Bortles, he doesn't get those first downs and they don't get ANY points. So yeah giving up 10pts is great, but giving up ZERO pts is considerably better when your team cannot get anything done on offense. Also Spying Bortles  would have forced him into his usual bad decisions and he might have actually thrown some INTS, which for us was one of the keys to victory today and all year. 

Edited by Livinginthepast

Wow, you guys a taking it hard. The D played great. The scheme at times could of been better. 

Thats what this thread it about. Save the Taylor and Dennison opinions for those thread.

i have noted your point of view in regards to the question being asked of the HC of why he waited till late in the 4th quarter to change his scheme to match what Jax was doing.

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Fournette was a non factor and Bortles didn't do **** in the passing game. The defense did everything they were expected to do. McDermott doesn't have to answer for anything. 

If there was a failure in 2017, it rests solely on TT, Dennison and this offense  (or lack theteof). 

2 hours ago, KDS73 said:

why he didn't put a spy on Bortles.  Letting Bortles continue to run without doing a damn thing about it was just astounding.  It would've made all the difference in the world.  And don't give me the "hindsight is always 20/20" line either.  When the qb is running all over you, you put a spy on him.  Especially when it's a terrible throwing qb like Bortles.  That's just football 10.   McDermott deserves a big part of the blame for this loss.  

I mean, the defense gave up 10 points, I think they did a pretty good job. The offense OTOH. 

15 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Exactly!! All these people saying that not spying the QB wasn't relevant are missing the point hugely. If they had adjusted and spied Bortles, he doesn't get those first downs and they don't get ANY points. So yeah giving up 10pts is great, but giving up ZERO pts is considerably better when your team cannot get anything done on offense. Also Spying Bortles  would have forced him into his usual bad decisions and he might have actually thrown some INTS, which for us was one of the keys to victory today and all year. 

Haha. Um, you do realize you don’t get to put a 12th player on the field when you “spy” someone, right?  

14 minutes ago, dubs said:

I mean, the defense gave up 10 points, I think they did a pretty good job. The offense OTOH. 

Haha. Um, you do realize you don’t get to put a 12th player on the field when you “spy” someone, right?  

Um Yah , I think I got that part. but thanks for the insight.

Taylor was not good, but the WRs were the worst ever for a playoff game.  O Penalties on

Benjamin and Thompson, dropped balls by Jones, Thompson, Thomas (why was he in the game),

Clay out of bounds.

AskMcD why the Bills best WRs were playing for the Rams Saturday. Woods and Watkins

10 catches for 165 yards.

3 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Also - first and goal from the 1.5 yard line, butchered that series, then butchered clock management at the end of the half to allow the Jags to Score.  7 point coaching screwup there.

But wait, isn't SM "Coach of the Year" material!? LOL  That's what I've been reading from a lot of folks in here in the past week....and it's absurd.

14 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

Taylor was not good, but the WRs were the worst ever for a playoff game.  O Penalties on

Benjamin and Thompson, dropped balls by Jones, Thompson, Thomas (why was he in the game),

Clay out of bounds.

AskMcD why the Bills best WRs were playing for the Rams Saturday. Woods and Watkins

10 catches for 165 yards.

We get it you’re a fanboy.     Enjoy the 134 yards passing from tentative AGAIN.   

Of course Woods and Goodwin are monsters without his sorry ass. 

24 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Um Yah , I think I got that part. but thanks for the insight.

Well, if you dedicate one of the 11 to the QB running you open up the defense to the pass. As it stands, the defense did a great job. This is entirely on the offense, not even debatable. 

Just now, dubs said:

Well, if you dedicate one of the 11 to the QB running you open up the defense to the pass. As it stands, the defense did a great job. This is entirely on the offense, not even debatable. 

Wow you were seriously worried about "opening up the defense " to the passing of Bortles? This caused you some concern doing the game?? He is one of the worse playoff passers I have ever seen in almost 40 years of watching football and somehow you were worried that the Bills D couldn't handle him with 1 less guy in coverage? 

This post isnt about how the "defense lost us the game" There is no debate. Yes the defense overall did a great job, they are not the reason we lost this game. Nobody is blaming the D here. But as the OP and others have said on this thread, the simple adjustment of taking one of the DBS or Lineman and making them a spy on Bortles would have stopped his runs and most likely forced him to make some ill advised throws. He did this throughout this season and during the Titans game last week. They could have done this easily and a pick 6 would have likely won the Bills the game outright. Which is precisely the Point , our offense stunk so bad that not only did we need the D to stop the Jags we needed them to score points and win the game themselves. Its pretty crazy that was the situation but it was. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

That’s not my damned opinion. It’s a fact.

You put a spy on Bortles and something else may open on the field.

Is that a hard concept to freaking grasp? I guess for some it is.

To even question the defensive game plan, IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, is idiotic.