Buffalo only ranked 24th in League Attendance

BigDingus

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

So I keep seeing these threads mocking the Dolphins attendance for the last game of the season, saying if the situation was reversed the Bills would've had a full stadium. 

But we've seen time & time again that really isn't true. Even this year, we've seen games where there are plenty of seats empty, even though we were in the thick of the playoff race. Even in week 15, against the apparently "hated rival" Dolphins, with a chance to go 8-6 and as our LAST home game, we only managed to sell 85% of the tickets. 

Overall, we rank 24th while Miami ranks 3rd. Even when you switch to "average" attendance, Bills only move up to 17th, still one spot below Miami at 16th. The Jags are 19th in percentage, and 21st in average just for reference since they're also made fun of for the tarps, then swapping them out for pools. 

I think people still assume we just turn out in droves no matter what, as we used to be that way in the past. I don't blame people for not going amidst an 18 year playoff drought, but I feel the glorification of our fan turnout isn't reality.

• Like (+1) 1

Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Buffalo all at the same level which is interesting for teams with hardcore fan bases, successful teams (more so Pitt and minn right now)  and Minnesota has that awesome new stadium. I'll point to our snow game which probably didn't help the attendance figure. But that seems low for us and few other cities. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

We are 4th in road attendance, so your point is invalid. Or are you saying more opponents fans show up when ever the daunting, must have ticket, previously part of the longest playoff draught Bills come into town? 

We're actually 30th in attendance for road games. http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg

Or you're talking about percentage. I guess that makes sense for all the displaced Bills fans. Kudos there.

But I was talking about home games and how "if the situations were reversed" in regards to the Miami game, we'd have apparently sold out. We wouldn't have, and didn't in week 15, even though it was the LAST HOME GAME, against a division rival, and with playoffs on the line.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

Also, official numbers are based on tickets sold not attendance.

No, you can see attendance by those who checked into the game. It's posted after each game.

Also, if you have eyes you can look at the Bills stadium and see all the empty seats, like with Miami in week 15, and know it's definitely not even close to full capacity.

Edited by BigDingus

2 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

No, we're actually 4th, we go by percentage not amount. You understand we played the chargers right? You know at the 25,000 seat stubhub soccer stadium......

Yes, I corrected my post in terms of percentage we're at 4th for away, in terms of average we're at 30th. 

But it doesn't change the home game sellout issue which is what I brought up. How we apparently would've sold out if we were 5-10 against an 8-7 Miami team playing for a playoff birth. We didn't even sell out the last home game of the year against Miami, when our own playoffs were on the line.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Oh well.  At least we are in the top 6 of teams still playing football right now :beer:

Cheers to that.

But you mean 12 teams ;) 

Edited by BigDingus

5 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

We're actually 30th in attendance for road games. http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg

No, you can see attendance by those who checked into the game. It's posted after each game.

Also, if you have eyes you can look at the Bills stadium and see all the empty seats, like with Miami in week 15, and know it's definitely not even close to full capacity.

I have a feeling that those numbers are about to change, starting next season. What McDermott is doing, and between he and Beane, if they can hit a homerun in the upcoming draft, and make just a few key additions in free agency, this team won't just be gunning for a WC spot.  They'll be aiming for a championship.  And attendance, I do believe, will reflect it.

41 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

So I keep seeing these threads mocking the Dolphins attendance for the last game of the season, saying if the situation was reversed the Bills would've had a full stadium. 

But we've seen time & time again that really isn't true. Even this year, we've seen games where there are plenty of seats empty, even though we were in the thick of the playoff race. Even in week 15, against the apparently "hated rival" Dolphins, with a chance to go 8-6 and as our LAST home game, we only managed to sell 85% of the tickets. 

Overall, we rank 24th while Miami ranks 3rd. Even when you switch to "average" attendance, Bills only move up to 17th, still one spot below Miami at 16th. The Jags are 19th in percentage, and 21st in average just for reference since they're also made fun of for the tarps, then swapping them out for pools. 

I think people still assume we just turn out in droves no matter what, as we used to be that way in the past. I don't blame people for not going amidst an 18 year playoff drought, but I feel the glorification of our fan turnout isn't reality.

How does Dallas have a 116% attendance average?

Edited by ColoradoBills
116 not 117